= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #9,541 of 21,171
So those who have these with the new baffles, is there a batch number or similar?

I was about to pull the trigger on these but if they have changed things slightly I would personally prefer getting the revised version.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #9,542 of 21,171
  So those who have these with the new baffles, is there a batch number or similar?

I was about to pull the trigger on these but if they have changed things slightly I would personally prefer getting the revised version.

I'm joining your club 
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #9,546 of 21,171
could you give me a couple reasons why the 560 is better than the 400i

I have not heard the HE-400i, so I can't quite say anything along that line, to be honest.

But I have heard many other high-end headphones, and very few of them can sound the way the HE-560 does out of a good setup.

In fact, the HE-560 out of a good setup is approaching the sound of a good Stax setup for me.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #9,547 of 21,171
  It's not "small", though.

The wires from each of the driver baffles in my HE-560 obstruct up to half of the enclosure.

Seriously, if you don't believe me, put a finger up next to the opening in the back, and then tell me the sound doesn't change?

If something as small as "fazor" could make a difference, then that "small wire" would make a difference acoustically because it's diffusing the wave that's traveling to the back.

That the cable obstruct the sound waves doesn’t seems realistic to me, but if the cables touch or comes very, very close to the magnets might, at least in theory, inflict on the sound by the electrical or electrical magnetic fields in the cable.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #9,548 of 21,171
  That the cable obstruct the sound waves doesn’t seems realistic to me, but if the cables touch or comes very, very close to the magnets might, at least in theory, inflict on the sound by the electrical or electrical magnetic fields in the cable.

I'd think the cable does obstruct the sound wave. Think double-slit interference when it doesn't completely block one of the small openings, and when it does actually block the opening entirely, then it'll have reflective properties that augment the wave that's traveling to the front.

E-field or B-field interference is also possible, given that the magnets inside are quite strong, but since transient is good enough, I'd say the magnet's grip on the diaphragm is still good enough, and in that case, any noticeable interference can only be mechanical.

Plus hekeli already posted measurements that show a 0.5dB rise around 8-9KHz from letting the wire be... (as in not getting it out of the way), so one way or another, it's still affecting the sound wave.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #9,549 of 21,171

I'd think the cable does obstruct the sound wave. Think double-slit interference when it doesn't completely block one of the small openings, and when it does actually block the opening entirely, then it'll have reflective properties that augment the wave that's traveling to the front.

E-field or B-field interference is also possible, given that the magnets inside are quite strong, but since transient is good enough, I'd say the magnet's grip on the diaphragm is still good enough, and in that case, any noticeable interference can only be mechanical.

Plus hekeli already posted measurements that show a 0.5dB rise around 8-9KHz from letting the wire be... (as in not getting it out of the way), so one way or another, it's still affecting the sound wave.

if my finger tip affects the sound through my grill modded HE-560 then I can see how the wires in front of the driver and behind the grill can make difference sonically. Have you tried pushed them down. And if so have you noticed differences sonically, and or good or bad changes to the sound? 

How is the revision/edit of the Bill-P amp going ? any news and how much watts and voltage were you putting in with the amp you built at 50ohms?

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #9,551 of 21,171

I thought it was placebo, so I performed it a few times to make sure. They do affect the upper midrange for me.

I think it may be because I am extremely sensitive to brightness in the 6-9KHz region. Plus I do listen to music that exaggerates that region (closed-mic recordings), so that just makes it worse.

Even the LCD-2 can sometimes be sibilant to me, so you know how sensitive my ears are.

It's because I'm this sensitive to treble that most of the top-tier headphones aren't for me. IMO, the HE-560 is the least offensive in that region compared to many non-Stax alternatives.

I think I still prefer the Focus Pads with strong clamp. The warmth that the Focus Pads A brings at looser fit is a bit on the leaner and forward side still. The Focus Pads with strong clamp gives a fuller and more relaxed sound.

I like that comment being very sensitive to the same brightness. I just hope the Asgard 2 will do the trick and avoid the treble being too hot (amongst mods, eventually) 
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #9,554 of 21,171
Has anyone compared the 560 to the 400i. I have the 400i. Can't seem to find any comparison.

Pretty sure there has been some discussion in this thread. Have you searched the thread? Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back