= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #9,571 of 21,175
Just posted the conclusion to my HE-560 tour set review (see below). Also cleaned up some errant stuff in the review, spelling mistakes, etc. If you want to read the whole review you can find it here. Enjoy ..

SUSPENDED IN-BETWEEN: FUZZY LOGIC CONCLUSION

What ensued was a long back and forth comparison of the two headphones listening to different tracks one headphone after the other. This was fairly easy to do having both headphones strapped to the same amplifier but with dedicated outputs (thanks engineers for speaker amplifiers with two speaker outputs - 
beerchug.gif
).

P.S. Placing the speaker output selection on A+B also made it obvious that the HE-560 required a little bit more attenuation to match the volume output of the HE-500, perhaps underscoring the fact that this particular HE-560 may be less sensitive than the HE-500 (at least my pair). But then again what is 90db/mW (HE-560) vs 89db/mw (HE-500). That means too close to call in my book.

Some random track impressions:

Jaga Jazzist (The Stix) - very challenging Nu-Jazz/Electronica track:
With HE-500 (Focus pads). Nice full robust sound. All those crazy details are there.
With HE-560 (Focus A pads). I am having a hard time telling the headphones apart. They are equally good, albeit with a nod for more detail retrieval going to the HE-560, but musically, they are equally convincing. One could get either, amplify it well and simply get lost in the music – which really is the goal at the end of the day.

Stee Downes (Movement):
This track highlighted how similar the HE-560 and HE-500 can sound (with the pad switches I made). I have to listen very closely to pinpoint the differences if any. The HE-500 sounds a little bit fuller whereas the HE-560 sounds a little more defined.

Maxwell (Welcome):
The HE-560 definitely wins this one. There is just more happening with it, not that much more but it's noticeable after coming from the HE-500. Again, very nice frequency balance, all the nuances are there and can be easily picked out. Yeah, oh that treble, no more troubles from it and I think credit goes to the Focus A pads on this.

With some genres the HE-500 simply shines. For example well-recorded and performed R&B/Neo-Soul. For example: Jill Scott (Golden), a track I felt the HE-500 out-performed the HE-560 on. Similar impressions on Brand New Heavies (Keep Together); Mark Rae (Medicine). The HE-560 doesn't seem to quite have the groove factor that these tracks and others like them call for.

Santana (Smooth (feat. Rob Thomas):
The warmer and fuller presentation of the HE-500 sounds better here too. Makes for a more enveloping and rocking sound. In comparison the HE-560 sounds like it's trying to be more proper when it's really time to let loose and really groove.

Ali Slaight (Kiss From A Rose):
Mmm ... The HE-560 sounds like the more accurate headphone of the two here. The overall warmth of the HE-500 is working against it. This is a somewhat acoustically based track and that kind of makes sense based on my other impressions: With acoustical music the HE-560 seems more accurate and better balanced overall. The HE-500 seems to bring a little more warmth to the tracks than is necessary resulting in less clarity within and between the various facets of the tracks, vocals and instruments. Still overally good but I would take the HE-560's presentation each time with acoustic based music – so much sweeter and nuanced – excellent performances.

Plantlife (When She Smiles):
HE-560 is clearer. Mmm ... sounds like the evidence is piling up. The HE-560 reproduces music with more clarity than the HE-500. I think the mid-centric character of the HE-500 may be its Achilles heel. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds world-class but it is outclassed by the HE-560 in this regard. (From Wikipedia: An Achilles heel is a deadly weakness in spite of overall strength, which can actually or potentially lead to downfall.)

And so forth and so forth, and so forth it went .... until ...

Conclusion inside the conclusion: When musical clarity is called for the HE-560s outperform the 500s, but where full musical grooviness is called for the HE-500s seem to have an edge. So I guess it pretty much comes down to choice of the wrong that's less wrong. In this case the less significant and infrequent shortcomings of the HE-560 are easier to fix and live with than the more apparent shortcomings of the HE-500, especially if you listen to a lot of acoustically grounded music. The HE-560 is the better headphone and is definitely an upgrade rather than simply a sidegrade to the HE-500. Would I upgrade then? Yes ... absolutely, strictly based on sound-quality improvements, and especially where money is not a consideration. With the HE-500 now just over half the price of the HE-560 does that make it half as good as the HE-560? Definitely not; I would place the HE-500's abilities at about 93-96% of the HE-560's sonic reproductive ability. Is that final 4-7% worth it? My answer – a resounding yes! With the HE-560 you would have a headphone that gives you less to stop and gripe about knowing in the end there was little you could do about it.

Well done Hifiman for taking your headphones further. I didn't think you could do it, especially with single-magnet transducers but you did. The HE-560 is definitely a worthy upgrade to the HE-500!

[Grill-modded HE-500 (Focus pads) ; Stock form HE-560 (Focus A pads]

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #9,572 of 21,175
Have to say, love the bass on the 560. My departed D7000s had too much bass so now having plenty of bass energy, but more textured and articulate, I'm not going back. Yes, for a true bass head who primarily wants the thump and bump sound, I agree, why waste the money, get a decent closed headphone and be done. However, if you want good bass quantity, and excellent bass quality, the 560 is a pleaser for sure.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #9,574 of 21,175
Have to say, love the bass on the 560. My departed D7000s had too much bass so now having plenty of bass energy, but more textured and articulate, I'm not going back. Yes, for a true bass head who primarily wants the thump and bump sound, I agree, why waste the money, get a decent closed headphone and be done. However, if you want good bass quantity, and excellent bass quality, the 560 is a pleaser for sure.
t
definitely want the thump and bump.but also clean mids... give me a 560 with the 400 bass and it would be a $2000 hp. Mark my word the next hifiman will increase their thump and bump.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #9,575 of 21,175
t
definitely want the thump and bump.but also clean mids... give me a 560 with the 400 bass and it would be a $2000 hp. Mark my word the next hifiman will increase their thump and bump.

HE560's bass extension is significantly better than HE400's to start with, and with proper modding it hits as hard too.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #9,576 of 21,175
t

Maybe they save that for the new he7??? The future successor of the he6.. For sure it will cost around 2000usd so its a direct competitor to the lcl3.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #9,577 of 21,175
@Bill-P, this is no way meant to be offensive, but a 0.5 db level change would be extremely difficult to hear with normal music... even hard to hear with test tones. you can try it yourself here: http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_index.php

I did hear it though. Even before it was measured.

And the measurement consistently showed that 0.5dB rise at 8.5-9KHz, which is exactly what I heard: a "brighter" sound.

Also the test you posted is done at 440Hz, which is well below the 8.5-9KHz that I heard, so while I'd agree it's hard to hear at 440Hz, I don't think it's hard to hear at 8.5-9KHz... especially if I am overly sensitive to that frequency.

This would follow the equal-loudness contour pretty well, too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #9,579 of 21,175
Edit: Actually, forget all that. Here's a better way for you to understand what I'm talking about, as it seems I'm not able to show exactly what's going on by arguing back and forth.

Here's a website with a bunch of test tones to build a response curve:
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Try the website and see what your hearing curve comes out to be? Here is mine (-78dB seems to be how quiet my environment really is...):

So I guess it doesn't have the same spike as the equal-loudness contour after all, but that just shows how sensitive I am to that 8-10KHz region. I can almost hear it as well as 1-1.5K, and I can't hear 400Hz that well at all.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #9,580 of 21,175
Here's the initial reply from HFM.  As usual, there's some confusion, so in my reply back I stated very clearly and carefully that I'm only interested in the new baffles, not a full replacement pair.

"Thank you for contacting us. We have redesigned the component to make it more firm in the newly produced HE-560 headphones. But I don't know if we prepare some headphones for replacement. Please allow me to ask our stocking manager first to confirm and then give you an exact answer. Thank you for your time and patience."

Given the time difference, this will likely be a very slow process, unless that CSR asks the right question the first time.
[/quo

??????? OK, glad the new 560's are more "firm", hopefully we will be given the opportunity to do the same for ours.

On another note, did Rangy teach you how to use your new Mani yet? Not wanting to lug my Preamp from the two channel system too my office, though the TT will be a challenge as well:wink:. Soooooo, how does the Mani sound?!?!

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #9,581 of 21,175
could you give me a couple reasons why the 560 is better than the 400i

Sure,
1) Better tonality, it's truer to the sound of music
2) Superior soundstage
3) Superior imaging
4) more cohesive presentation
5) the 560 truly gives the best out there a run for their money.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #9,582 of 21,175
HE560's bass extension is significantly better than HE400's to start with, and with proper modding it hits as hard too.

Sure,
1) Better tonality, it's truer to the sound of music
2) Superior soundstage
3) Superior imaging
4) more cohesive presentation
5) the 560 truly gives the best out there a run for their money.
thx I complain about the bass on the 400i but I think its getting better with burn in. Maybe I might like the 560

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #9,584 of 21,175
^In complete agreement with TMRaven, the 560 and 400i have similar bass presentation. The 560 gives you the bass that's there, nothing more, nothing less, if you want exaggerated bass, look to Audeze.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #9,585 of 21,175
^In complete agreement with TMRaven, the 560 and 400i have similar bass presentation. The 560 gives you the bass that's there, nothing more, nothing less, if you want exaggerated bass, look to Audeze.
thx im listening to audeze tomorrow and a few others.. but I cant imagine anything else having the comfort of the hifiman. Cant have every thing. Tho for $1000 you should

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back