= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 24, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #9,526 of 21,175
  It's not "small", though.

The wires from each of the driver baffles in my HE-560 obstruct up to half of the enclosure.

Seriously, if you don't believe me, put a finger up next to the opening in the back, and then tell me the sound doesn't change?

If something as small as "fazor" could make a difference, then that "small wire" would make a difference acoustically because it's diffusing the wave that's traveling to the back.

A finger has a dozen times more obstructive surface area than the wire, of course it has an effect.

The fazor is a big block of solid aluminum mounted onto the driver face that covers the whole surface in a specific manner.

Again, the wires are trivial because they provide so little surface for anything to happen...Dunno why you're making such a huge deal out of it when there are much bigger things at play (pad-swapping, grills, baffle variations, etc).

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #9,527 of 21,175
  A finger has a dozen times more obstructive surface area than the wire, of course it has an effect.

The fazor is a big block of solid aluminum mounted onto the driver face that covers the whole surface in a specific manner.

Again, the wires are trivial because they provide so little surface for anything to happen...

Sectional area-wise, I don't think a finger has "a dozen times" more so than the wire. The wire is thick enough to block some of the smaller openings in the metallic magnet structure, so I'd think that should have an audible effect.

The fazor is actually just this:

http://www.audeze.com/technology/tech-tour/fazor-elements

Fazor lies on top of an area that's already blocked, so the effect it has on the sound is minimal, and it is minimal (frequency response graphs would support this), but the difference is appreciable.

I'd think you should know that since you attempted to do the same thing with your fuzzor mod.

I don't think the wires are trivial at all. Physics don't agree with that.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #9,528 of 21,175
hi guys, I tried cleaning the pads yesterday and I forgot what is the position of the pads..where does the stitch align to? Can somebody post a picture lol..sorry guys, I am not sure if I put them back right.

--
ok found some pictures on the net.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #9,529 of 21,175
hi guys, I tried cleaning the pads yesterday and I forgot what is the position of the pads..where does the stitch align to? Can somebody post a picture lol..sorry guys, I am not sure if I put them back right.

--
ok found some pictures on the net.

Normally, it is necessary to set them so that :
- The seams are on the bottom (=aligned with the cables)
- The thickest sides are behind
Cheers.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #9,530 of 21,175
Cheers.

thank you..are the seams really aligned with the cables or connector? found some pics and the seams are at the bottom when the headphone is vertical and not aligned with the connector since they are angled forward.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #9,531 of 21,175
  I don't think the wires are trivial at all. Physics don't agree with that.

How about common sense? Does it agree with that?

How about measurements..

1k fft run twice on my head. Just carefully bent the wire out without moving anything in between. Compare the same colors only, I've moved the headphones on my head for the second louder takes.

If anything, without wires you can notice a marginally consistent ~0.5dB RISE around 8.5-9k, curious.. but that's about it for any visible changes, the stuff over 10k I doubt is much reliable or even audible..

As you can see from my previous measurements, removing grills have quite radical changes in the FR. This, nothing like it..

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #9,532 of 21,175

How about common sense? Does it agree with that?

How about measurements..

1k fft run twice on my head. Just carefully bent the wire out without moving anything in between. Compare the same colors only, I've moved the headphones on my head for the second louder takes.

If anything, without wires you can notice a marginally consistent ~0.5dB RISE around 8.5-9k, curious.. but that's about it for any visible changes, the stuff over 10k I doubt is much reliable or even audible..

As you can see from my previous measurements, removing grills have quite radical changes in the FR. This, nothing like it..

Notice I mentioned I preferred the wires to be where they are, blocking the drivers?

And also noticed how I mentioned I thought that reduced the sibilance for me?

I could hear that 0.5dB rise around 8.5-9k.

If anything, you have just confirmed what I heard, that the wire being where it is is actually preventing the rise around 8-9KHz.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I am that sensitive to that region. Very few headphones in existence don't cause my ears to bleed.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #9,533 of 21,175

Cheers.

thank you..are the seams really aligned with the cables or connector? found some pics and the seams are at the bottom when the headphone is vertical and not aligned with the connector since they are angled forward.

Some may respond better than me. But I will say to you to see what you think is the best. This plays out at 1 cm difference, that's not a lot :wink:

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #9,534 of 21,175

Notice I mentioned I preferred the wires to be where they are, blocking the drivers?

Actually I didn't. Well congrats to your hearing then. 
wink.gif
 Did you try it keeping the headphones on your head while bending them around?

Sometimes results are quite curious.. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #9,535 of 21,175

Actually I didn't. Well congrats to your hearing then. 
wink.gif
 Did you try it keeping the headphones on your head while bending them around?

Sometimes results are quite curious.. 

Well, to be honest, I'm actually not so happy that I am so sensitive at those regions, because that means my choice in headphones is extremely limited, and any small change around that region is just bad for me. But then... many headphones in the market currently exhibit a bump of some sort around there. 
frown.gif

Ah well, at least now I know how to reduce it further... by playing around with the wires back there.

I carefully opened and closed the grill each time, of course. I haven't dared try to operate the headphone without the grill yet.

Maybe one day I'll find the courage to experiment more and see if I can't make more than a 0.5dB difference there.

On the other hand, I guess that confirms that science still has some merits. The wire does make a small difference. (big-ish difference for me, but may not apply universally)

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #9,540 of 21,175
Wow, get busy with a project from work and by the time I get back to the thread Dr. Fang has started shipping revised 560's with a metal retainer and new Focus Pads:flushed:! Wow, thought I had accomplished something by ordering my full compliment of materials for the Jerg Mods.

Bill-P, could you please send pictures of your new Focus Pads, pretty please! Jerg, what sonic changes do you think the new metal parts have? Thurston have you heard from HiFiman about ordering the new parts?!?! Interesting times for 560 Owners!

Here's the initial reply from HFM.  As usual, there's some confusion, so in my reply back I stated very clearly and carefully that I'm only interested in the new baffles, not a full replacement pair.

"Thank you for contacting us. We have redesigned the component to make it more firm in the newly produced HE-560 headphones. But I don't know if we prepare some headphones for replacement. Please allow me to ask our stocking manager first to confirm and then give you an exact answer. Thank you for your time and patience."

Given the time difference, this will likely be a very slow process, unless that CSR asks the right question the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back