= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #4,186 of 21,171

tongue.gif
I just got this email from Razordog...

From the RazorDog house to you. 
All of the items from order #6xxx have now been shipped:

1x HiFiMAN HE-560 full-size Planar Drive Headphones *NEW!* - RazorDog! Every Day Low Price:

They are being shipped via USPS to the following address:

Followed up one minute later by:

"Label printed and tracking sent. Will release shipment ASAP on arrival of inventory later this week. Thanks!"

Man... what a tease... Ha 
tongue.gif

Good news.
Does anyone have any new shipments from Stereodesk? They are supposed to be first batch
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #4,187 of 21,171
I'm really considering buying these, I've tried to resist, but I don't think I can. They just seem too cool. Does anyone know if these are "officially" claimed to be HifiMan's new flagship or is that technically still the HE-6 for all intents and purposes? If it's still the HE-6 does that mean HifiMan is going to release their successor/flagship later in 2014? 

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4,189 of 21,171
I think there's something wrong if you start comparing the HP50 to the HE-560, first of all it's a different technology, secondly it is open vs closed and third they are in a completely different league. Both are excellent, in their own way. (before you ask, yes I have both)

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #4,190 of 21,171
I just bought the HE-560 from AV One in Singapore after auditioning it alongside with the LCD-2.

Both are beautiful!!! This headphone is my upgrade from my K702 and boy... its in a totally different league.. Both the HE-560 and LCD-2 are so so lifelike in the presentation of sound which just obliterates my K702.

I found the LCD-2's vocals to be a lot more up close than the 560 and more comparable to the K702 in that aspect. But the 560 showed a better soundstage and sound separation to my ears which just sounded more right, more "natural".. while keeping the liquid, detailed mids but at a slightly further distance away from in front of me.

I can't wait to be back in Sydney to be able to try them in my system 
L3000.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #4,194 of 21,171
Good news.

Does anyone have any new shipments from Stereodesk? They are supposed to be first batch :confused:

They'll be shipping this week!

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,198 of 21,171
HE-6 is the flagship and a successor will be made after the new e-stat is out.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #4,199 of 21,171
Ok guys here's some FR+HD graphs of both the pre-production 560 and production 560, and a CSD of the production 560.

Production 560 FR+HD:

Production 560 CSD:

Preorder 560 FR+HD:

I know these can be hard to read, so a couple of things to note:

-Treble rolloff after 10khz is most likely a measurement artifact
-Both models seem to have pretty much the same frequency response, with the preorder maybe having slightly less of a hump centered at 4khz.  Different iterations of each measurement will produce slightly different results because of the nature of measurements themselves
-These headphones have overall some of the lowest distortion numbers I've seen on any of the headphones Purrin has measured.  Second harmonics are usually benign compared to 3rd and 4th order harmonics unless there's massive problems.  The 560 manages to stay pretty much under -90db in these areas, whereas other headphones like the LCD-X and HE-500 are just under -80db.
-The 560 boasts the typical linearity from bass to 1khz as with all other hifiman planars, has a null at 2khz, and is back to near neutral in its treble presentation.  Upper treble is much more in control than any previous Hifiman yet.
-CSD shows a really clean decay, with the 4khz resonance possibly being traces of an 'ortho wal,' which is usually seen as benign compared to other resonances.
-These have somewhat of an Audeze look to their FR graphs, with a 10db shelf from 2khz and beyond, but sound nothing like an Audeze.  They sound much less dark and congested compared to an Audeze.  Just goes to show you that measurements aren't everything.

Take a look at Jerg's topic here for comparisons to HE-500 measurements.  Take a look here to compare to HE-4 FR+HD.

Purrin really likes these, and commented that they are worth it over an HE-500 for "comfort and fit, bass clarity, being less bright than HE-500 in the upper treble, and being more resolving."  He also didn't like the HE-4 too much for being 'thin and having a tiring treble."  He also refers to the HE-560 as an "Abyss Lite."

A couple of my own remarks..  
I initially thought the 560 had a peak or a resonance in the lower treble around 6khz, but it turns out it was the peak at 4khz.  This is far less harmful than a peak in the upper treble anywhere around 8-12khz.  It adds some presence to stringed instruments and some snap to percussion, as well as some other things,  "F" sibilances will be a little emphasized compared to the usual "S" and "SH" sibilances that you would hear on other headphones.

I never heard a null at 2khz, and this will most likely be benign for other people.  For what it's worth, the null at 2khz is probably why I like this headphone quite a lot.  Through my experiences I've found that too much 2khz can make a headphone sound plasticy and fake, while a slight reduction of it gives the instruments a much more "live and warm" sound.

Overall I would categorize this headphone as near neutral with slight warmth.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #4,200 of 21,171
It may sound a little nuts, but I am a little torn here. I can afford the 560, but it is still expensive and not a purchase I can just make lightly, but I can make it. What gives me pause is that I keep reading how good the NAD HP50 really is, which I own. For such a significant outlay in cash I am worried that the 560 won't really be very much different than the HP50 in terms of overall sound quality. On the off chance, has anybody here heard both and have any thoughts? As a related question, would the Asgard 2 be a decent match? Thoughts, musings rants, opinions, all are welcome.

This is easy.
The Nad HP50 is a mid level performer, in the mid tier category. ..

While the he560 is an upper perfomer,
In the top tier category. .

Also, since there are so many comparisons probably due to timing,
To put in perspective, I consider the PM-1 to be a top performer of the MID TIER category...
Regardless how it is viewed now, I am betting this will be a general concensus in the long run.
Why?
Because I believe the HE400i will set the bar, and raise it (!) for mids tier cans...
:wink:

Good news.

Does anyone have any new shipments from Stereodesk? They are supposed to be first batch :confused:

They'll be shipping this week!

Yes unlike those guys, Stereodesk as other will probably post real shipping times and not just post the date of when the factory shipment to them is coming. ..
:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back