= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3,946 of 21,171
People buy 900$ -> good looks/sound = :D
Headphone delayed/recalled + given $100 in store = :)
Asked to pay 30-40$ for shipping = ;( :/ ;\ D:

I don't think the backlaah is deserved in the whole picture...:rolleyes:

Yeah those posts should be taken into proper context.
Only a handful of members in that spot.

Actually, they should be happy they got a pre-production to have fun with.
That's like biting the hand that feeds you.
So what? Maybe $20 shipping?
And your getting a hundred credit as well..
While I got no pre-production on my pre-order? ?

So what makes them deserve more if they never had to wait?
Like I said, I am still awaiting my pre-order. .
And you haven't herd me complain. .

Until now :p
Lol

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #3,947 of 21,171
It's very simple maths:

Pre-order and essentially beta test, then pay another shipping charge for your efforts.

Don't pre-order, assume competent manufacturing down the line - which is safe to do, I'd say - and pay for shipping once.  For me, $100.00 store credit doesn't make up for it.  $100 in cash, sure, but of course that's less the return shipping cost.

No early-adopting for me.  Been there, done that.  I'll save the money and get the tested, finalized version.

On the other hand, this could be seen as a revision that HiFiMan was nice enough to allow its early customers to benefit from for merely the cost of shipping. I don't personally see it this way, but I can see how that perspective would cast a more positive light on the company.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,948 of 21,171

How so Clem?

The Metrum has been reported to loose part of its exciting sound after a while. It could be brain adjustment/honey-moon over/whatnot but let's just call in "burn-in" in the general sense.

Amos mentioned it several times on the Octave thread, as well as the M7 review in the product page.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,949 of 21,171
I just received the new version of the HE-560, and I've only been listening to it for about a couple of hours. I do have the other version (but it's at home at the moment), and this one, to my ears, is clearly the better headphone. My first impression is that this headphone is spectacular.

Yes, it's super-comfortable and light--really light--and that's a big deal. The bigger deal, though, is the sound.

Fang pushed this headphone out to the bleeding edge of detail without crossing into harshness or stridence--I can say this confidently, as I started with songs that the first HE-560 could be harsh with. This HE-560 is even more detailed, and so far hasn't imparted any harshness of its own--at all.

I don't have time to say much more right now, as I have to finish the summer gift guide update this weekend--and it'd still be too early to say much more anyway.

What a fantastic first impression, though.

Seeing the reviews roll in as more and more of us in the community get this version is going to be a lot of fun.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,950 of 21,171
Got a new toy in today :)  The veneer has a very natural texture to it and looks very nice.  The only difference I see is that the HiFiMan logo is silver now instead of the bronze/goldish color it was before.  Aesthetically, I'd prefer the latter...  But that's being nitpicky :p  They certainly are brighter than less thicker in the lower-midrange... 

They hold a lot more energy in the uppermidrange now and sound mangificent.  Was just listening to Evanescence's My Immortal, it was rendered so beautifully with power and depth in the vocals with the instrumentals layered delicately.  One thing is for certain, though, the headphones or less forgiving than they were before. 

Bass depth is still great, though the quantity has gone down, it's much more delicate than it was before...  So the trade off you get for losing the body is that the sub-bass is more delicate and textured.  Still has a defined impact and is quite tight.  Speed has improved marginally (and I do mean marginally). 

The treble actually hasn't changed to my ears...  It's everything else that changed that causes the phone to sound brighter.  Like I said before, these aren't too forgiving, so give it well-mastered files, and it'll treat you well...  I feel that makes a bigger impact in the sound than a bitrate does. 

Note I'm running this out of an V-Moda Vamp right now, which is a warm amp in its own right :p  I'm hoping to get a half-decent amp when my paycheck comes in!  Some Schiit perhaps :wink: 

____

Edit:  I just swapped to my iPhone (straight out of a 5S)...  Impacts are a little stronger actually, but so is the treble XD  Though I'm running at 81.25% volume, it's able to drive it (I have sound check turned on as well, which steps all songs down a bit in volume too :/).  Otherwise, without sound check, I can run them around 62.25% to get to my preferred listening level. 

Edit 2: As stated, I'm planning on getting a better amp when my pay check comes in.  I'm open to suggestions, under 200 though.  I'd rather a more neutral amp over a colored one (reason why I'm leaning towards the Mangi/Modi combo). 

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,951 of 21,171
  I just received the new version of the HE-560, and I've only been listening to it for about a couple of hours. I do have the other version (but it's at home at the moment), and this one, to my ears, is clearly the better headphone. My first impression is that this headphone is spectacular.

Yes, it's super-comfortable and light--really light--and that's a big deal. The bigger deal, though, is the sound.

Fang pushed this headphone out to the bleeding edge of detail without crossing into harshness or stridence--I can say this confidently, as I started with songs that the first HE-560 could be harsh with. This HE-560 is even more detailed, and so far hasn't imparted any harshness of its own--at all.

I don't have time to say much more right now, as I have to finish the summer gift guide update this weekend--and it'd still be too early to say much more anyway.

What a fantastic first impression, though.

Seeing the reviews roll in as more and more of us in the community get this version is going to be a lot of fun.

Wow , those are excellent  impressions coming from someone like Jude . 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #3,953 of 21,171
Did anyone actually receive a pre-paid return label for the pre-production HE-560s?

Was told to pay for shipping and in return will be given a $100 voucher.
But I guess you can insist on a pre paid label in return for the $100 voucher.

Luckily I going to china next Monday and I can carry over and then ship from there to save the shipping charges.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,954 of 21,171
Well, I've adjusted to the signature...  Was wearing the K845 all day, which are actually quite bassy (moreso than the P7, but also more linear).  To put it short, the 560 put a big ol' smile on my face.  They're a bit analytical, yet musical, all at the same time.  It's quite a beautiful signature.  They don't seem as harsh anymore either (again, was coming from a warm signature). 

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,955 of 21,171
  Got a new toy in today :)  The veneer has a very natural texture to it and looks very nice.  The only difference I see is that the HiFiMan logo is silver now instead of the bronze/goldish color it was before.  Aesthetically, I'd prefer the latter...  But that's being nitpicky :p  They certainly are brighter than less thicker in the lower-midrange... 

They hold a lot more energy in the uppermidrange now and sound mangificent.  Was just listening to Evanescence's My Immortal, it was rendered so beautifully with power and depth in the vocals with the instrumentals layered delicately.  One thing is for certain, though, the headphones or less forgiving than they were before. 

Bass depth is still great, though the quantity has gone down, it's much more delicate than it was before...  So the trade off you get for losing the body is that the sub-bass is more delicate and textured.  Still has a defined impact and is quite tight.  Speed has improved marginally (and I do mean marginally). 

The treble actually hasn't changed to my ears...  It's everything else that changed that causes the phone to sound brighter.  Like I said before, these aren't too forgiving, so give it well-mastered files, and it'll treat you well...  I feel that makes a bigger impact in the sound than a bitrate does. 

Note I'm running this out of an V-Moda Vamp right now, which is a warm amp in its own right :p  I'm hoping to get a half-decent amp when my paycheck comes in!  Some Schiit perhaps :wink: 

____

Edit:  I just swapped to my iPhone (straight out of a 5S)...  Impacts are a little stronger actually, but so is the treble XD  Though I'm running at 81.25% volume, it's able to drive it (I have sound check turned on as well, which steps all songs down a bit in volume too :/).  Otherwise, without sound check, I can run them around 62.25% to get to my preferred listening level. 

Edit 2: As stated, I'm planning on getting a better amp when my pay check comes in.  I'm open to suggestions, under 200 though.  I'd rather a more neutral amp over a colored one (reason why I'm leaning towards the Mangi/Modi combo). 

I'd highly recommend you bump up your budget by $50 and consider the Asgard 2.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,957 of 21,171
  I'd highly recommend you bump up your budget by $50 and consider the Asgard 2.

I was hoping to get a DAC into there as well eventually (another reason I wanted to do the Mangi/Modi combo).  I think I can go another 2 weeks without a proper amp, I am happy with them out of my 5S right now (surprisingly), so I may just do that.  My Mac's RAM needs upgrading first :p  That may change though :p 

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,958 of 21,171
How does it compare to HD800?

That's a good question. I'd like to hear the answer. 

I'm with Matt here, I do want to know what people who've had time with the HD800 think in contrast.  I demoed a pair at Chicago if I remember :p  It was with music I wasn't familiar with unfortunately, so any comparison would be thrown out the window (I'm not comfortable making a comparison).  They were quite detailed with a large stage though.  Another fun 'phone to play with. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,959 of 21,171
Wait, now I remember that jerg did already compare the 560 to the 800 a few weeks ago. He found that he liked the 560 and that the owner of the 800 liked it best. His impressions are at the beginning of the thread. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,960 of 21,171
I've gone back and forth between the HD800 and production HE-560 and believe the 560 is much more neutral. In fact, these are the most neutral phones I have heard. (HD-600, K701, HE-500, ESP950.)

Amp is a modified Heed Canamp which does very well with both phones. The HD800 has an OCC copper cable from FBI Cables (Ted Allen - Headphone Lounge.) The HE-560 has the outer grills removed and Preorder 560 ear pads that sound more neutral than the newer pads.

I have felt and still feel the HD800 has a tin-can type of cupped hands coloration that I hear on every recording I play. The production 560 is a chameleon, i.e. it is much tougher getting a handle on its true signature. I also think it makes the HD800 sound outdated but then even a highly mod'd Canamp is not the end-all in sound quality.

The Preorder (v.1) 560 never lit me up or gave goosebumps. The Production (v.2) 560 is much more engaging and gives goosebumps! It is also much clearer with higher resolution than the v.1 and eliminates the exaggerated "shhhh" sound on cymbals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back