= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,781 of 21,171
  Apparently, it seems so. In other words it sounds like there ain't much damping of the pads after all. When will you get the new 560's yourself?

Ah I see, so with the new pads it's angular inside rather than sloped.

I dunno, maybe in a week or two?

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,786 of 21,171
  Because if preorder 560 proves to be just as good or better me and others can sell our woodied 560s at collector's value for 2000 dollars 3 years from now.

2500 if cracked cup 
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,787 of 21,171
There you go...

More compact / taller. Nicer wood and overall finish.
2 foam levels. Very convenient.
It's a bit hard to remove the headphone without take off the foam, but that's a minor quirk.

Better stitching, more consistent look. Matched L & R pads!
Slightly larger opening but it's not very apparent at first sight.

Prefer the teak cups to the veneer (that look rather cheap/rough). Love the mat black plastic used though. Wish they could make an all black cup with color/white headband.
Notice the thinner cable. It is also a bit stiffer but greater look and easier to attach to the connectors.

That's it.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3,788 of 21,171
Just got the new ones, here is an album of the box differences and some other stuff I noticed. Click to see a larger photo.

I am not going to make any detailed comments on the sound for now, I need more time. But, I will say they sound fairly identical. If you like one, you will like the other.

Left: Preorder, Right: Production

Preorder one says HE560, new one doesn't and is a bit less tall but deeper, both boxes had scratches and marks when I got them.

Preorder version has thinner foam and one cutout. New one has two separate foam cutouts, one for the headphones and one for the cable. The foam is harder and stays in shape much better than before.

Molding lines on the preorder HE560

Production HE560 has no molding lines

Preorder version has the seam from one of the pads sticking out, new ones are symmetrical and the seams match. There is also plastic where the connectors are located on the new one.

From left to right: HE560 preorder, production HE560, and HE-4

Production version has a fabric coated cable, same connectors (neutrik) on both. The production HE560 feels the same as the HE-4 cable but it weighs more.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #3,789 of 21,171
Damn, they really polished these up, even the moulding seams are gone?

Those new pads look way more professionally-made than the past version too, wonder how they do sonically...I'll have to do a lot of comparative listening tests when I get my hands on those.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #3,790 of 21,171
Here are a few more pictures... I took these, then a bunch got posted... oh well.  These are all color corrected with a grey card, so colors should be fairly accurate.

Higher res pictures available here:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/42400642_cjPN4c

New 560 box

Box slides to open

Inside of box

Bottom of box

Left side shot

Right side shot

From the back

From the bottom:

Look at the cups (no pads)

Closeup of earpad

Another earpad

Another closeup of the pad

Picture with pads on from the back

Pictures from bottom with pads on

New 560 cable on left, pre-order version on right (quite a bit thicker)

New 560 cable

View from the top

Another view from the top

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,791 of 21,171
overall the new version does feel more professionally done. I think the veneer looks better in person. glad to have symmetrical pads.
the new one has a good amount more clamp, and firmer pads. the preordered one took a little bit to get super comfy though. new cable is nice, wouldn't have gotten an aftermarket cable if I had known.

the sound difference I can't say for sure. the bass hits harder but less quantity... maybe. treble seems smoother?

need more time.

was there supposed to be a return label or will they be emailing that?

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #3,792 of 21,171
  Here are a few more pictures... I took these, then a bunch got posted... oh well.  These are all color corrected with a grey card, so colors should be fairly accurate.

Higher res pictures available here:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/42400642_cjPN4c

New 560 box

Box slides to open

Inside of box

Bottom of box

Left side shot

Right side shot

From the back

From the bottom:

Look at the cups (no pads)

Closeup of earpad

Another earpad

Another closeup of the pad

Picture with pads on from the back

Pictures from bottom with pads on

New 560 cable on left, pre-order version on right (quite a bit thicker)

New 560 cable

View from the top

Another view from the top

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Pre-order (OLD) version:

Sick photography there!

It makes the teak wood cups look so gorgeous, in real life they look a lot more subdued.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,793 of 21,171

Sick photography there!

It makes the teak wood cups look so gorgeous, in real life they look a lot more subdued.

I actually like the edginess that the veneer gives a bit more...  I'm not sure why, it fits with the overall design scheme of the new 560 very well. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #3,795 of 21,171
nice pics....thanks.

These are looking pretty good now, except I still do not like the look of the veneer better than the teak wood....but I guess that it what it is.

I agree that the pads look way more professional

Users who are viewing this thread

Back