= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,811 of 21,175
I just went through my emails from them, there was no mention of them covering the shipping costs... it just said that I should contact them to send my original unit back after receiving the new one.

Pretty lame if I have to pay to send V1 back to them...

Original email:
This is customer service from HIFIMAN. Thank you for your pre-order of HE-560.

We've made certain changes to HE-560. Now the final version is ready. We are going to arrange replacement for you. A new HE-560 will be sent to you. After receiving it, please contact us and send the previous one back. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,812 of 21,175
Totally agree, if they send headphones that is replaced due to design problems, it is absolutely not normal to have to pay return postage.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,813 of 21,175
I'm going to purchase the he560. But i am deciding which combo i should get in order to drive this little monster.
I'm using the dx90 and i think it has a fair good lineout.
I'm wondering if this kind of DAC performance can meet the level of desktop dac like bifrotst?
If that is the case, I may just order an headphone amp and feed it with my dx90 lineout.

Which amp would be better for the he560 in terms of power and control?
Schiit Lyr 2/Hifiman EF5 /Audio GD SA31SE or others? (~400-500USD)

Or just purchase a DAC/Amp combo like Audiogd Compass 2?

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3,814 of 21,175
I'm going to purchase the he560. But i am deciding which combo i should get in order to drive this little monster.
I'm wondering if this kind of DAC performance can meet the level of desktop dac like bifrotst?
If that is the case, I may just order an headphone amp and feed it with my dx90 lineout.

All three are great. I have not tried any tubes and don't plan to so my personal bias is towards the SA31SE.
As for the Compass2, that's the unit I bought for them. It certainly has enough power and resolution and as soon as I receive the 560 I'll know how great it is.

If I am disappointed I'll turn to the SA31SE and either keep using the Compass2 as a DAC or sell it to get a standalone like NFB1, 1P or 3.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,815 of 21,175
The Compass drove the 560's really beautifully at the Chicago meet, but I thought the Lyr was even better. It's also a good match to counterbalance what some perceived as a tiny bit of brightness on the 560. Plus power. The EF-5 was nice, but nowhere near the other two. Is go for the Schiit - it just feels more refined than the other two.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,817 of 21,175
  I might have to pay shipping too, who knows.  Hifiman will probably email me the info once I tell them I'm ready to ship the old one back.  Having to ship something internationally and most likely with insurance sounds hella expensive though.

I received a email asking me to ship the pre order unit without the box inorder to reduce the weigh,
This is after I informed them that I had received the pre order unit.

A China address was given, nothing was said about a prepaid label.

Yea, there's seems to be a some inconsistency on the shipping issue.  I was given a USA address to ship it back to in order to save shipping costs.  It would be dreadful if we had to pay for international shipping!

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,818 of 21,175
Will one of you comment on the new HE-560 cable...how does it compare to the silver HE-500 stock wires...is it good enough to preclude an aftermarket cable? Thanks...first post here but very satisfied owner of HE-500's and Lawton modded Denon HD-5000's.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,819 of 21,175
Oh that means I just stay with the DX90 source for a while and enjoy a better amp section first?
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,820 of 21,175
Oh that means I just stay with the DX90 source for a while and enjoy a better amp section first?:p

I'd do that. If you feel like, you can get a better DAC later. But I thought the dual ESS in the DX90 should be pretty good.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,821 of 21,175

I've been very happy using the Lyr with the preorder 560s. Still using the stock tubes, waiting for the final version before I get into tube rolling.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,822 of 21,175

Hmm, That's strange.  I was told that I would have to pay for the return shipping.

"Hi Customer,

Sorry for keeping you waiting for a while. Our working time is from 9:00am -  5:30 pm during which we reply the emails. Now we are arranging the upgrade of HE-560. We will send you the newest version of HE-560 and after you receive the package you need to send us back the old HE-560. Also you have to pay for the shipping fee of sending the HE-560 back to us. Do you still want to upgrade the HE-560? Please let me know your decision.

Best Regards,"

I'd call BS on that one.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,824 of 21,175
I thought the free shipping was mentioned here as well, possibly by Fang. I tried looking for it, but I don't see it in his posts. I am confident that I didn't imagine that.

IMO, getting the "official release" instead of a recalled version (some people were told to return their pre-order version) is not an upgrade as stated in that email from HFM. I also don't think that those of us that have the pre-order version should be expected to pay for shipping back what turned out to be a defective product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back