= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,826 of 21,176
Just heard from RazorDog! Audio that they're getting their shipment of HE-560s this week or early next week. The wait is almost over!

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,827 of 21,176
I have been waiting for the dust to settle and the manufacturing process to settle in before buying.  I am hoping that will be soon.  In the meantime, I have been looking at Amp/DACs.  In keeping with Tin427 questions, does any have any thoughts on the following?  I was also thinking that the Sabre ES9018 or 9023 would be my best option on a DAC, which only a few of my list includes.

O2 plus ODAC – inexpensive/neutral/should be able to drive almost anything

Geek Out 1000 – inexpensive/high resolution decoding

Ifi Nano – inexpensive/high resolution decoding – may not have enough output

Fostex HP-A4

TEAC UD-501

CEntrance HiFi-M8

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,828 of 21,176
  I have been waiting for the dust to settle and the manufacturing process to settle in before buying.  I am hoping that will be soon.  In the meantime, I have been looking at Amp/DACs.  In keeping with Tin427 questions, does any have any thoughts on the following?  I was also thinking that the Sabre ES9018 or 9023 would be my best option on a DAC, which only a few of my list includes.

O2 plus ODAC – inexpensive/neutral/should be able to drive almost anything

Geek Out 1000 – inexpensive/high resolution decoding

Ifi Nano – inexpensive/high resolution decoding – may not have enough output

Fostex HP-A4

TEAC UD-501

CEntrance HiFi-M8

1.  Worry less about the DAC chipset than the overall implementation, features and measurements.

2.  I would not recommend iFi nano iDSD for HE-560, too power limited.
experienced gurus with pre-release HE-560 said M8 (power) would be a "minimum" for great HE-560 listening.

3.  I would seriously recommend researching the new iFi micro iDSD (out in July).  huge thread here on head-fi about it.
and it has gobs of power to drive HE-560.  possibly even more than M8.

4.  keep the M8 on your short list also.  Mine has been stellar, but selling it now due to selling of HE-500.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,830 of 21,176

The TEAC UD-501 is an extraordinary DSD DAC but only outputs 100mW into 32 Ohm. It won't drive my somewhat less efficient HE-500's to critical listening volume, and may not have the horsepower you require.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #3,831 of 21,176
  Have you guys been charged for COD this time?
I just got my new 560 and was charged $22.89 for COD again.
angry_face.gif

I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay import taxes again for the replacement. Getting expensive
redface.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3,832 of 21,176
My replacement HE560 just arrive!!

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay import taxes again for the replacement. Getting expensive
redface.gif

I did not have  import taxes for the pre-order, but I did get it this time with the replacement.

The first thing i notice with the replacement is that the packing is much nicer and more professional, and the smell that comes with the replacement headphone is different as well, it is more like plastic/paint smell, rather than the woody furniture smell that comes with all the IKEA furniture. (I hope I am not the only one that smell headphones
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,833 of 21,176
  HiFiMAN will need to bring back the original HE-560s shipped when the replacement is received. We'll send you a prepaid return label.

Thanks for your patience.

Summer and I look forward to seeing ChiUniFiers this Saturday at Sheraton Northbrook IL.

Peter 

This......and they also promised a $100 credit at Head-direct!

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #3,834 of 21,176

This......and they also promised a $100 credit at Head-direct!

Maybe it's a head-fier special, whoever that didn't acknowledge this post has to pay for shipping and do not get the $100 credit; hence the discrepancy between customer service email replies and what's stated in Peter's post you quoted lol.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,835 of 21,176
I gave them my preorder order number and mentioned to customer support I wanted to use the $100 credit to buy a RE-400. Lu is arranging shipment of them for me apparently. So, the $100 credit seems to be true.

Now, onto the shipping price rumors. I asked about the prepaid shipping and I am awaiting a response. Now, I hope the shipping is free because I can't afford to ship my HE560 to China (maybe US)... Oh the joys of being a broke high school student with no job.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #3,836 of 21,176
During my first few hours of listening, I find that the bass is tight and punchy as always, the mid is more forwarded, detailed, and overall more muscial. Can't tell too much about the treble yet, need more time to burn in.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,837 of 21,176
  During my first few hours of listening, I find that the bass is tight and punchy as always, the mid is more forwarded, detailed, and overall more muscial. Can't tell too much about the treble yet, need more time to burn in.

Compared to the previous model, I didn't hear any distinct differences between the treble...  It was mainly the mids and bass IMO. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,838 of 21,176
  I gave them my preorder order number and mentioned to customer support I wanted to use the $100 credit to buy a RE-400. Lu is arranging shipment of them for me apparently. So, the $100 credit seems to be true.

Now, onto the shipping price rumors. I asked about the prepaid shipping and I am awaiting a response. Now, I hope the shipping is free because I can't afford to ship my HE560 to China (maybe US)... Oh the joys of being a broke high school student with no job.

If you're in the US, you should be asked to send them in the US.  I know that's where mine went :wink: 

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,839 of 21,176
The HE-560 was supposed to be a combination of the HE-500 and the HE-6, but I don't hear the meaty/thick notes that I heard with the HE-500 or the HE-6.  IMO, they sound much more thin, with a lot of air.  I have had them on burn in since I got them, and they haven't changed.  I think even the HE-400 and HE-4 had a thicker sound than I am hearing with the HE-560....they remind me more of the Beyer T1, that I had twice, previously.  The mids and treble are clear, leaning on the bright side.  This is from my tube amp and 5wpc.  This has me interested in the HE-400i, the impressions from the Chicago show paints a picture of them as a HP somewhere between the HE-500 and HE-6! 

I do love the clear details and brighter airy sound......using the same cable on the Rev.1 and Ref.2, the preorder Rev.1, with their pads have slightly less clarity and air in the mids and treble to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jaxz
Back