= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,751 of 21,175
Too bad they won't be releasing two earpads for sale. It would also be interesting to see the differences between the earpads on the HE400i. The new earpads should make the HE400i less dark than with the older earpads or maybe they've already adjusted that already. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,752 of 21,175
That was the first thing I thought of.....what ear pads were on the pair of 400i that were demoed at the Chicago show?

I'm headed for Mayo Clinic for my radiation treatment now, but I will look into the differences a lot more when I get home,, when I can try more test tracks.  I can definitely hear the new ear pads on the rev.1, with the Mark Knopfler track I mentioned in an earlier post!

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #3,754 of 21,175

There it is.....just swapped the ear pads, and the sound went with the pads on both the preorder rev. 1 and rev.2 HE560.  Turns out HFM changed the tuning with the different material in the pads.

I do like the sound with the new pads though, more sparkle and air in the treble, mids more clarity, bass similar in both.  Oppo @hasturtheyellow, noted in the Oppo thread that they use ear pads to tune the sound.....this is a lot like tube rolling imo!

I wonder if HFM realizes the change in ear pads = change in the tuning of the sound......now that puts more light on to what headphone to keep.  Going forward what will happen if they decide to change the ear pad design yet again!

I had a gut feeling this was it. The internal damping properties are most likely quite different between the older fabric-lined ones and the new perforated-leather-lined ones, that plus the change in opening size means difference in tonality.

Yep, mine, too.  Thanks for seconding the ear pad test request.  Given all the pads I've tried with my HE-500s, and how the sound changes, material and opening size seem to have a direct bearing on the changes.  It does sound like they got it right with the new ones.  Should be some good times pad rolling with the HE-560s 
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #3,755 of 21,175
For the sake of those that have waited so long for the final release, I hope the ear pads don't hold up the release of the rev.2!

Maybe the 400i sounded airy for a reason, at the Chicago show!

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,756 of 21,175
For my tastes, I wouldn't want the 400i to be any thicker or warmer. The pads appeared to be the same on the revised 560 and the 400i, although I didn't compare them as closely as the two different 560 models.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,757 of 21,175
  For my tastes, I wouldn't want the 400i to be any thicker or warmer. The pads appeared to be the same on the revised 560 and the 400i, although I didn't compare them as closely as the two different 560 models.

The new pads on the 400i would surely put me in line to get a pair, I hope can only hope.  From what you described of the 400i, they would interest me as well!

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #3,759 of 21,175

Oh I do not like that, I found the pre order one to be too thin already

If you still have your pre-order version, maybe you can keep those pads with the new version, and send the new pads back.  I doubt they'd care.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,761 of 21,175
Upon switching the two pads of the headphones I do feel the gap is narrowed a bit.  I wouldn't go so far to say that the two versions of the 560 do a complete role reversal though.  There's probably a combination of the wooden vs plastic housing AND the pads.

Either way, Purrin's measurements will tell most of the story.  I'll have him measure both with their default pads and then both again with a pad switch.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #3,762 of 21,175
Looking at the perforated ear pad material, it reminds me a lot of the leather ear pads on the Oppo PM-1.  I wonder if it is real leather that HFM used.  I do really like the new ear pads because they bring out detail that I don't hear with the ear pads on the rev.1.  I have used several test tracks that I have to confirm that.....there is just more detail that can be heard.  I have cables that give me a similar effect with small details that can be distinguished between different wires in different cables.  Again, tube rolling, ear pad rolling, cable rolling, different gears can mean slight changes in sound!

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3,763 of 21,175
I'm leaning towards liking the older pads better.  For one, they seem to be less stiff.  That could be just needing more break-in on the newer pads, but at the same time I don't remember these older pads becoming any more squishy over time.

Secondly, the newer pads are fully pleather underneath, and not mesh-material like the older pads.  Theoretically that could mean there's less damping going on with the newer pads, leading to possibly more treble, and the illusion of more detail as a result of the heightened treble.

Nobody ask me to change the cables to see if cable swap makes a difference.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,764 of 21,175
Just got my new pair at work, too.

First comment: the new box is much better than the previous one. More compact (higher), better finish and wood quality.
One minor quirk: it's quite hard to pull the headphone off the box without getting the foam out, too. Just nitpicking here, obviously.

The cable looks and feels much better than the old rubbery one. Feels a bit stiffer than the HE-4's cable and not sure they used the same clothing, but that's an improvement.

Not sure I like the veneer look and texture, but I can live with that. I really like the mat black finish on the outside of the cups. Wish they could make an all black mat cup in the future!

Great job Hifiman 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back