= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,852 of 21,171
Hi,

It seems you can do a very good review with your gear.

Did the HE560 is enough tall and wide in term of soundstage ? I think the HD800 still the king in terms of imaging but the HE560 didn't are too poors in this area ?

The HE560 are warmer and fuller than the HD800 ?

May 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,853 of 21,171
  Hi,

It seems you can do a very good review with your gear.

Did the HE560 is enough tall and wide in term of soundstage ? I think the HD800 still the king in terms of imaging but the HE560 didn't are too poors in this area ?

The HE560 are warmer and fuller than the HD800 ?

Thanks.

I think most here will agree that the HD800 is the soundstage king, but I don't think it has a huge edge on the HE560.  Overall I prefer the sound signature of the HD800 so even if they give up some soundstage to the HD800s, I don't really care.

Are they warmer?  Not warmer per se...I will say they are not as analytical and because the bass performance of the HD560s sounds better to me, I find the HD800s to sound "leaner" than the HE560s.  Does that make sense?

May 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2,854 of 21,171
Thank I understand what you means. My main issue about the HD800 is that it lacks viscerality and body so it doesn't sound enough real.
Moreover the soundstage is a bit artificial because it is too envelopping and not enough in front of you.

May 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,855 of 21,171
Just catching up on the great news from TeamHiFiMan. Thanks for the photos!

From a pure aesthetic viewpoint, I do prefer the look of the solid wood in my preorder version over the new veneer. That said, if the change results in a better sound, I'm all over it!!! My only concern is that the veneer might start to delaminate after a while. 

I look forward to feedback from anyone attending the Newport show.

There's been no mention about the "scrapping yoke" issue so far. Is that resolved in the update??

May 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,858 of 21,171
May 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,859 of 21,171
I don't. HE-560 looks waaaaay cheaper than Abyss. I prefer the latter when it comes to aesthetics. Personally, as an owner of HE-6, i'm very dissapointed by the looks of the final HE-560 production model.

May 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,860 of 21,171
I don't. HE-560 looks waaaaay cheaper than Abyss. I prefer the latter when it comes to aesthetics. Personally, as an owner of HE-6, i'm very dissapointed by the looks of the final HE-560 production model.

If by cheaper you mean less like a tank, then yes.

May 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,861 of 21,171

The HE560 feels a bit more like the older STAXs, in that in the hand it feels more delicate and ergonomic. The older Hifiman line feels rugged and industrial in comparison. Just two very divergent feels.

In practice the looks are irrelevant; it's all SQ and comfort/fit for me, and longevity.

May 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,862 of 21,171

News flash:  the HE-560 IS waaaay cheaper than the Abyss.  

Since no one here has seen the final production model of the HE-560, only pictures, I would reserve judgement.  It's a given, though, since not everyone likes the same thing, some people will be unhappy with it.  Such is life.

Veneers can be quite robust if manufactured properly...lets hope that this is the case.  

May 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,863 of 21,171

In practice the looks are irrelevant; it's all SQ and comfort/fit for me, and longevity.

Amen to SQ, comfort, and longevity over looks. I know I expressed a visual preference for the preorder model, but the pictures of the new model look great! 

May 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,864 of 21,171
Whoa, wasn't expecting pictures of the revised version so soon. They look interesting, a bit less classy than the original version but has a more modern feel to it at the same time. I understand how some people might feel like it now looks as if it has a split personality, but I think this design may grow on people over time, especially once people see it in person. Whether people may like the new look or not, if the sound quality, comfort, and durability have been increased even more than before, I think all the delays have been worth it. Bring on the new versions HFM, my ears are ready! 
atsmile.gif

May 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,865 of 21,171
I'm not a fan of the new look (just cancelled my order actually).  The veneer strip just looks like a piece of wood-grain tape wrapped around the cup (at least from the pics) - they might as well have ditched the wood entirely and gone with aluminum IMO...  I'l probably still pick them in a month or two if they survive FOTM status and the HE-400i doesn't challenge them but I was on the fence and this just pushed me off it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back