= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,866 of 21,175
I think hifiman should have gone all in on the design or just have kept is as simple as possible. Not something in between, makes it seem cheap. But I understand that everything doesn't always come out as you want it.

May 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,867 of 21,175
The change to veneer covered plastic probably happened because it could be manufactured faster/easier......and that caused hfm to dampen them because the sound of plastic would be different than the teak wood they started out with.  I would tend to think there is a difference in sound between wood and plastic...that may have meant they needed to change the cable design as well.  Whatever the reason, I think the veneer makes them look cheaper, less classy than before!  Engineering on the fly, happens all the time!

May 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,868 of 21,175
It's a shame many people think so... I consider the newer design prettier than the old one myself.
Then again, I am not too great a fan of wood, I like lacquered wood and such but I didn't find teak all that attractive on the 560...
Do keep in mind that teak wood gets uglier with age... It loses its depth and just gets kinda gray [I've had some teak furniture and all got to a grayish shade in 1 - 2 years].
I find the makassar veneer more attractive [and it probably won't lose its color over time] but that's me and the minority I guess...
I certainly don't feel like others about it, doesn't look cheap or halfway to me.

May 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,870 of 21,175
I personally prefer the new look myself. Looks more modern.
The looks to me are secondary anyway.
I think some people are making too big a deal about the looks.
What does matter most to me is the sound quality, comfort, and reliability.
Just my 2 cents.

May 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,871 of 21,175
I personally prefer the new look myself. Looks more modern.
The looks to me are secondary anyway.
I think some people are making too big a deal about the looks.
What does matter most to me is the sound quality, comfort, and reliability.
Just my 2 cents.

Do you have the preorder version?

May 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,872 of 21,175
  How many that still have the preorder HE-560 are going to keep them, now that the final production version has been revealed?

I'd like to hear some impressions from the Newport show before making a decision. If there's a consensus that the SQ is improved and the comfort is at least the same, then I'll trade in my preorder 560 for the new model. 

May 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,873 of 21,175
Do you have the preorder version?

No I don't own a pair, but a friend does, and I have compared all the older vs newer photos.

May 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,874 of 21,175

How many that still have the preorder HE-560 are going to keep them, now that the final production version has been revealed?

I'd like to hear some impressions from the Newport show before making a decision. If there's a consensus that the SQ is improved and the comfort is at least the same, then I'll trade in my preorder 560 for the new model. 

I don't trust someone else's ears impressions.....I would have to hear them both on my setup!  I may have to buy another pair!  Cable changes make subtle differences in the sound, I have detachable cables, more than one, they all have their interesting sound.  The 560 stock cable is one of the best matched with the 560, I don't get the same sweet mids with my other aftermarket DIY cables.  Many here on headfi don't believe that cables make a difference.  HFM changed the cable with the new design, evidently they think cables matter!

May 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,875 of 21,175

Who could give up the ultra-rare, all-wood, pre-order HE-560 just for a mass produced plastic headphone?

Just to be clear, that last sentence was sarcasm.  Mostly.  I presume I will listen to them both and see if the new version is more palatable.

May 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,876 of 21,175
Hopefully someone who already has a wooden 560 will receive the final veneer version as well to confirm whether the newer really sounds better than the original...
Hopefully Fang will send it to Jerg & co ahead of time, their impressions are very good and accurate IMO but anyone would do :D

May 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,879 of 21,175
Who could give up the ultra-rare, all-wood, pre-order HE-560 just for a mass produced plastic headphone?

Just to be clear, that last sentence was sarcasm.  Mostly.  I presume I will listen to them both and see if the new version is more palatable.
When the cups crack you might want to go with the more durable veneer version :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back