= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2,881 of 21,175

Who could give up the ultra-rare, all-wood, pre-order HE-560 just for a mass produced plastic headphone?

Just to be clear, that last sentence was sarcasm.  Mostly.  I presume I will listen to them both and see if the new version is more palatable.

When the cups crack you might want to go with the more durable veneer version
wink.gif

What happens when the veneer cracks?

May 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,885 of 21,175
Veneer is wood...I worked in a factory that made wood office furniture, all vennered. If veneer is not finished/sealed properly is can crack split, dry out just like any other wood.  Veneer is very thin so it is very important to follow a good finishing process!  We got furniture back from the buyers to be redone, veneer and finish!  When veneer is applied to a curved surface the problems can be compounded!

May 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,886 of 21,175

What happens when the veneer cracks?

Why to use any cracking element at all? There are many good-looking headphones by various producers without any wood, f.ex. Hifiman. I'm pretty sure there are many potential customers who would like to have their investment objective to stay in one piece. Personally I'd like to have these cans without having to be afraid of something happening.  If there will be some kind of revision models in the future, so perhaps...Maybe veneer is a good idea, though - at least better than solid wood.

May 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,887 of 21,175
  Why to use any cracking element at all? There are many good-looking headphones by various producers without any wood, f.ex. Hifiman.

Because it looks gorgeous. And can affect the sound in a unique way depending on how it's used in the headphone.

May 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,888 of 21,175
I'm guessing those over the age of 40 will keep their teak HE560s, and those younger will trade them in for the veneer HE560s (assuming the veneer version is superior sonically and in terms of durability). Old folks love their wood.

May 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,889 of 21,175
After looking over the old teak version and the newer veneer, the teak certainly looks like a nicer version...more of a flagship IMO. While I certainly appreciate hifimans involvement and commitment with the community here, I feel they may have overreacted somewhat to the complaints based on what I know about the actual problems (limited knowledge not withstanding). I wonder how many hundreds or even thousand, teak cups got file 13'ed due to the complaints.

The whole pad diameter issue was just about ridiculous. The Momentum is about half the size of the new hifiman pad. You don't see Sennheiser recalling any of their pads to please a few...good grief. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm of a mind to pull my pre-order and let this get sorted out until hifiman feel confident that they are ready to bring a solid product to market irrespective of a few naysayers. When they are ready I'm sure that they will deliver a fine hp and people will line up to get it. 

May 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,891 of 21,175
Can they have different type of veneer to choose from. That would be perfect. Not all like the new wood on the HE-560

Here's a better idea: they should have a curved OLED screens instead of the veneer strips, so that you can dynamically change what the trim looks like. Any kind of wood grain? Check. Naked chicks? Check. Animated fire? Check. TRON lights? Mandatory.

May 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,892 of 21,175
  Here's a better idea: they should have a curved OLED screens instead of the veneer strips, so that you can dynamically change what the trim looks like. Any kind of wood grain? Check. Naked chicks? Check. Animated fire? Check. TRON lights? Mandatory.

better yet, they should let customers custom design how their cans look as well as let them pick their own frequency response, but somehow I don't think it would stop the complaints...

BTW, this old guy likes the new look, so even though I still like wood (when I can get it), I'll be sending the pre-orders back if the SQ is better with the revised version.

May 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,893 of 21,175
  After looking over the old teak version and the newer veneer, the teak certainly looks like a nicer version...more of a flagship IMO. While I certainly appreciate hifimans involvement and commitment with the community here, I feel they may have overreacted somewhat to the complaints based on what I know about the actual problems (limited knowledge not withstanding). I wonder how many hundreds or even thousand, teak cups got file 13'ed due to the complaints.

The whole pad diameter issue was just about ridiculous. The Momentum is about half the size of the new hifiman pad. You don't see Sennheiser recalling any of their pads to please a few...good grief. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm of a mind to pull my pre-order and let this get sorted out until hifiman feel confident that they are ready to bring a solid product to market irrespective of a few naysayers. When they are ready I'm sure that they will deliver a fine hp and people will line up to get it. 

True, but I somewhat disagree with your point. The Momentums, as said in your example, were too small to be an over-ear headphone for many and when this occurred to a smaller degree with the new HE 560's (and the HE 400i's) HifiMAN took that into consideration and tried to make it better. I myself have a rather big head and ears that stick out so it really is nice to see a company like HifiMAN listen to the consumers unlike many companies, not to say that little companies at all do the same.

However, I also do agree that there is a point in which it is unnecessary to change a product repeatedly in order to please everybody but still, HifiMAN is making an admirable effort. The only wish I have is for HifiMAN to make the best headphone they can make without prolonging the release over and over. 

Cheers and kudos to HifiMAN!

May 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,895 of 21,175
I love the HE-560's new look! I'm hoping the new Jades will be a continuation of that design.

However, for the successor of the HE6, I'm really hoping for something really cutting edge and technical, maybe like a clear acrylic housing with metal and carbon fiber accents
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back