= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 25, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #13,306 of 21,175

Thanks - I think we are suppose to listen to 80db or less or something like that...

I wonder how one goes about to measure the db, sorry I'm quite a newbie lol

With a calibrated sound pressure meter... Those made for headphones ..well I have seen them rigged  using different methods. I have an old Radio Shack analog meter. It gives one an idea. I was estimating the level based on a log time measuring and listening. I could be off +/_ a few percent. But should be pretty close.

May 26, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #13,308 of 21,175
  Thinking about getting the HE560, do you guys think the price of 560 would go down with the release of HE1k? or should i just buy them now?

It wont go down. They two are not on the market for hifiman to compete with itself, nor is one replacing the other by any means.

May 26, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #13,309 of 21,175
  Thinking about getting the HE560, do you guys think the price of 560 would go down with the release of HE1k? or should i just buy them now?

I would recommend contacting Brian at razordogaudio if you are interested in a HE-560. Great customer service and always very nice. Especially friendly to new head-fi members. You can tell him that we recommended you to check him out.

Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting until end of June, I will probably have my very well-maintained HE-560 for sale. Just currently holding onto them for a Ether comparison.

May 26, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #13,310 of 21,175

I would recommend contacting Brian at razordogaudio if you are interested in a HE-560. Great customer service and always very nice. Especially friendly to new head-fi members. You can tell him that we recommended you to check him out.

Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting until end of June, I will probably have my very well-maintained HE-560 for sale. Just currently holding onto them for a Ether comparison.

Are you buying the Ether? Or are you getting a demo for that too?

Also +1000000 (like a hundred fifty trillion times) for contacting Brian. Awesome dude

May 26, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #13,311 of 21,175
  Are you buying the Ether? Or are you getting a demo for that too?

Also +1000000 (like a hundred fifty trillion times) for contacting Brian. Awesome dude

I pre-ordered the Ether. Basically, just wanted it for a direct comparison against my current gear. Will most likely end up selling all my flagship orthos except for the one that fits me the best. hahah. so anyone wanting to buy something in my gear profile at a solid discount, hit me up at the end of June :) cheers!

May 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #13,312 of 21,175
  I pre-ordered the Ether. Basically, just wanted it for a direct comparison against my current gear. Will most likely end up selling all my flagship orthos except for the one that fits me the best. hahah. so anyone wanting to buy something in my gear profile at a solid discount, hit me up at the end of June :) cheers!

That sounds like you can sell me the Ether when you keep the HE-1000 :)

It looks like you made a bunch of purchases on new stuff coming out soon. I'm sure one of the comparisons people want are the Ether and HE-1000 since they are the 2 biggest headphones coming out.

May 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #13,313 of 21,175
  That sounds like you can sell me the Ether when you keep the HE-1000 :)

It looks like you made a bunch of purchases on new stuff coming out soon. I'm sure one of the comparisons people want are the Ether and HE-1000 since they are the 2 biggest headphones coming out.

hahah... don't know yet. I try to limit any pre-biases to the best of my ability, so I won't guess which headphones I will end up keeping until after I do extensive listening impressions. Yup, I basically just sniped all the fun new toys coming out since I really trust my own ears above anyone else's (esp for large purchasing decisions) & I figured that it would be very fun for me to write up detailed reviews. I always found it very enjoyable to run direct headphone comparisons of gear I like anyways :) Being able to contribute to the community is always a plus.

May 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #13,314 of 21,175
^^good on you. I hope they live up to your expectations. Also hope I don't get the fever for a while.

May 26, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #13,315 of 21,175
  hahah... don't know yet. I try to limit any pre-biases to the best of my ability, so I won't guess which headphones I will end up keeping until after I do extensive listening impressions. Yup, I basically just sniped all the fun new toys coming out since I really trust my own ears above anyone else's (esp for large purchasing decisions) & I figured that it would be very fun for me to write up detailed reviews. I always found it very enjoyable to run direct headphone comparisons of gear I like anyways :) Being able to contribute to the community is always a plus.

That goes without saying. There's a few people with opinions I trust when I'm not able to audition before hand or too lazy to go to for an audition such as the Taurus amp. Nothing beats your own audition however..

I'll probably do the same with the Ether. I'm not sure where the HE-560 stands yet. It sounds good and I'm too lazy to do the mods. I did get my balanced cable in the mail that I had reterminated from a DIY HD800 cable. I had another one come in last week since I was getting impatient so I have some backup cables in case anything happens I guess.

I want to keep these headphones but I also want to try new  headphones. There's still time so I could just sell whichever loses of my JH13 and SE846 and that should cover a good portion of the cost so should be ok 
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #13,316 of 21,175
rawrster  - are there things SQ/enjoyment wise you like better with your se846's compared to he-560s, since they are in the same price category and one conceviebly decide between a nice IEM or full size ortho for that $ ? Of course isolation is given. Was just curious since you actually have both.

May 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #13,317 of 21,175
I have not owned the SE846 that long but from all accounts the HE-560 is better. I do like the bass presence of the SE846 better. Neutral is good the majority of the times but sometimes having slightly boosted bass is fun. It's not that boosted where it's bass dominant but just enough to make it fun. Also there are some filters where you can change the signature to suit your preferences and the changes in sound are very noticeable.

If SQ is the only concern and stuff like portability, isolation, easy to drive, etc is not a factor then I would choose the HE-560 every time. Of course source and amplification is not fair since with my SE846 I have my LG G3 phone. My HE-560 has a DAC and amp that add up to somewhere in the 2-3k range so when you count that in they are not in the same price range.

May 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #13,319 of 21,175

It sounds like your putting all your eggs in the Ether basket!
Do not under estimate the power of the HE560 before you commit to sell ! :wink:

May 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #13,320 of 21,175
Can anyone who has heard the HE-560 with the Magni 2 and the H10 or LYR2 or Polaris please post some detailed impressions with differences? I can't seem to find any.

Also, does anyone know which other pads fit the HE-560? these ones don't seem as deep and my ears touch the pads. The Fidelio X1 pads were more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back