= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #13,291 of 21,175
lol u prob missed or forgot the first season. they said that every other line hahah. its the stark motto. like a lannister always pays his debts (except that isnt the real lannister family motto just a common saying)

I think so, I have seen ever season since so that makes sense.

May 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #13,292 of 21,175
May 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #13,293 of 21,175
  I've been reading up on the amps under $500 for the HE-560 and the three that come up a lot are the LYR2, Project Polaris and the Gustard H10. Which one do you prefer and why? Are there any other better pairings that I'm missing?

I have the lyr 2, which I greatly enjoy. I purchased that one specifically due to concerns about having adequate power and my preference for tubes over solid state (at the time). I do greatly enjoy the he-560 paired with a nice warm hybrid tube amplifier. Also wanted to possibility to upgrade tubes for kicks and giggles. I was also personally looking at the Project Ember at the time. I will probably pick it up in the future as well. I really like the design and versatility of it.

Gustard H10 is mentioned a lot because it is supposedly a 'clone' similar to the Violectric V200, which is an brand name $1k+ amplifier. Not sure personally how similar the two is. Project Polaris is recommended for people who want to get into the tube sound on a solid state amplifier. Also, recommended because Garage1217 products are have extremely competitive performance for their price point.

When I was really involved on the HE-560 thread, most everyone had Lyr 2s. I think there may have been a recent shift towards Gustard H10 with the recent massdrop sales of them. The Project Ember people generally hang over on their dedicated Ember thread, so you might want to poke around there if you have further questions about that specific company/product. There have been a few heated arguments of between owners of different gear, so I wouldn't cross post about other gear on competing product threads. May lead to a heated debate.

Cheers & good luck! hope you find what you are looking for.

May 23, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #13,294 of 21,175
  I have the lyr 2, which I greatly enjoy. I purchased that one specifically due to concerns about having adequate power and my preference for tubes over solid state (at the time). I do greatly enjoy the he-560 paired with a nice warm hybrid tube amplifier. Also wanted to possibility to upgrade tubes for kicks and giggles. I was also personally looking at the Project Ember at the time. I will probably pick it up in the future as well. I really like the design and versatility of it.

Gustard H10 is mentioned a lot because it is supposedly a 'clone' similar to the Violectric V200, which is an brand name $1k+ amplifier. Not sure personally how similar the two is. Project Polaris is recommended for people who want to get into the tube sound on a solid state amplifier. Also, recommended because Garage1217 products are have extremely competitive performance for their price point.

When I was really involved on the HE-560 thread, most everyone had Lyr 2s. I think there may have been a recent shift towards Gustard H10 with the recent massdrop sales of them. The Project Ember people generally hang over on their dedicated Ember thread, so you might want to poke around there if you have further questions about that specific company/product. There have been a few heated arguments of between owners of different gear, so I wouldn't cross post about other gear on competing product threads. May lead to a heated debate.

Cheers & good luck! hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the detailed response. Have you heard the garage1217 amps personally? Maybe some comparative impressions?

My main gripe with the LYR2 is that its price is double compared to the garage1217 for example. I don't plan on upgrading the headphones anytime soon so don't have to future proof. Just thinking if the LYR2 will be overkill (4W at 50 ohm) or if the Garage1217 will be slightly under-powered (2.4W at 50 Ohm). I listen at high volumes. If the Garage1217 is not underpowered, is the benefit of the LYR2 justfiable with regards to double the price? In the middle of course is the Gustard H10 (2.7W at 50 ohms). Priced closer to $300 on massdrop, but not enough tweakability like the Garage1217 where I can even tame down the highs a little bit if I wanted.

When you say tube sound in a solid amp for the Garage1217, do you mean it colours the sound in some way? I'd like a more transparent amp which does not sacrifice any clarity, soundstage or separation which people say sometimes happens with tubes.

Just bouncing off thoughts to see if I'm in the right direction with this. 

May 23, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #13,296 of 21,175

Thanks for the detailed response. Have you heard the garage1217 amps personally? Maybe some comparative impressions?

My main gripe with the LYR2 is that its price is double compared to the garage1217 for example. I don't plan on upgrading the headphones anytime soon so don't have to future proof. Just thinking if the LYR2 will be overkill (4W at 50 ohm) or if the Garage1217 will be slightly under-powered (2.4W at 50 Ohm). I listen at high volumes. If the Garage1217 is not underpowered, is the benefit of the LYR2 justfiable with regards to double the price? In the middle of course is the Gustard H10 (2.7W at 50 ohms). Priced closer to $300 on massdrop, but not enough tweakability like the Garage1217 where I can even tame down the highs a little bit if I wanted.

When you say tube sound in a solid amp for the Garage1217, do you mean it colours the sound in some way? I'd like a more transparent amp which does not sacrifice any clarity, soundstage or separation which people say sometimes happens with tubes.

Neither of those two amps are uncoloured, colour can be great if you like it. The Garage1217 has plenty of power for the 560s. The Lyr gives you preamp functionality so if you anticipate needing that that is a bonus.

May 23, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #13,297 of 21,175

Maybe you have not read the conversation a few pages back about picking an amp based upon power output only. I think it is a bad idea myself.
I can only recount a bit of personal experience. I have a couple of Sunrise III amps and a Polaris from Garage123. Around a year ago I picked up a Lyr 2 (stock tubes). I compared it to the Sunrise III amps. I ended up returning the Lyr. Not that it was not good, but the differences between it and the Sunrise III did not justify the price difference,,, even for a used Lyr. Neither of my Garage123 amps are rated for as much power as the Ember. They both will power the HE 560 very, very nicely, at dangerous to your ears levels and show no evidence of being under powered.

I believe that quite often the amount of power required to drive the 560 adequately is way over exaggerated.

This is not to say that these amps do not have different signatures, they do. You may like one over the other, but I suggest that using power output as the deciding criteria for making a choice will not serve you well!

BTW, with any of my Sabre DACs, I found the Sunrise III with a 1958 Mullard tube to be my favorite match. With the Modi 2 Uber, and my recent addition a Teac UD301, I tend to like the Polaris just as well. I get pretty good results, actually good results driving the 560 with my Oppo HA-2 at reasonable levels. It is rated only for about 200 mW into the 560.

One last thing on Garage123, Jeremy is great to work with. He typically answers email within a few minutes. He will absolutely bend over backwards to work with people and make sure they are satisfied customers. At one point I blew a fuse in one of the Sunrise amps. Though he said it had never happened, he said send it back (the fuse is soldered to the board). I di, and had it back within 6 days. He installed a socketed fuse and sent me a spare. No charge !!

May 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #13,298 of 21,175

One last thing on Garage123, Jeremy is great to work with. He typically answers email within a few minutes. He will absolutely bend over backwards to work with people and make sure they are satisfied customers. At one point I blew a fuse in one of the Sunrise amps. Though he said it had never happened, he said send it back (the fuse is soldered to the board). I di, and had it back within 6 days. He installed a socketed fuse and sent me a spare. No charge !!

I love hearing about true customer service. That is what I call service. Nice.

May 24, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #13,299 of 21,175

Nope, I have not have the pleasure to extensively listen to the garage1217 amplifiers or do any comparative impressions. there were quite a few he-560 owners here that opinions I strongly value that posted impressions. I think maybe head-fier @Stillhart posted very detailed impressions but may have been someone else. I know on the Project Ember thread they are all very helpful, and may be able to lead you to a link with a good review better.

The Lyr 2's power specs is overkill for the HE-560 in my personal experience. I have had pretty good success with lower powered amplifiers pairing with the HE-560. It does give you peace of mind though that any sonic issues you run into is definitely not due to lack of power.

2.4W is more than enough for the HE-560 even if you are accounting for excess headroom. I believe the calculation for power requirements on the HE-560 turn out to be 0.550W. People then go and recommend 1-2W for excessive headroom. The up to 4W recommendation is due to Audeze having that range posted on their website, but 4W is unnecessary to maximize your sonic performance (from my personal experience & in my opinion).

The Polaris is tuned to sound like a tube amplifier even though it is a solid state. That is all I meant by that comment. Both the Lyr 2 and the Ember uses tubes in their design, so the sound will be inherently colored a bit. I have not found the Lyr 2 to be lacking in clarity, sound stage, or separation (even compared to solid state amplifiers). The Lyr 2 does impart a slightly warmer sound to the headphones. I do like this effect on the HE-560 particularly for my own personal tastes.

There are tubes that are less warm and more 'clinical sounding.' Really depends on your own ears what will be the most enjoyable combination to you. The Gustard H10 has gotten very positive feedback from members I trust here as well (@conquerator2 can comment more about that specific pairing)

All three options are extremely highly recommended, so it is unlikely you will go wrong with any of them. I'd say if you have a strong interest in tube rolling, the Project Ember would be the best fit. If you only want solid state equipment, the H10. I own the Lyr 2 and can vouch for its strong performance on the HE-560, but I think all three options will most likely give you very similar good results, so really up to you! :)

edit: oh yes, Jeremy at Garage1217 offers amazing customer service. I've hit him up quite a lot with questions while I was deciding myself and he was extremely friendly & answered all my questions despite not being an actual customer yet. Schiit also is very prompt with their responses, though Nick at Schiit has a very curt short response style. No experience with Gustard's customer service, but if you purchase from massdrop, the people at massdrop always have taken care of me if I run into any issues.

because of different versions on the used market or bad quality control?

because of both I think. There are quite a few different revisions of the Audeze headphones, but reputable sellers will always specify. Audeze has run into quality control issues in the past with their line-up. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that second part though. I believe they offered driver replacements to people who had issues.

May 25, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #13,300 of 21,175
Just a quick one guys..

Can the hifiman ef2a or the oppo ha 2 drive this?

Thanks

May 25, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #13,301 of 21,175
Just a quick one guys..

Can the hifiman ef2a or the oppo ha 2 drive this?

Thanks

I use the HA-2 out of my X5 when I want to move around with the 560s on my head. At moderate levels it sounds very nice. If you need peak levels to something like 110 to 120 DB, it isn't going to get it (of course your ears won't like you for this either). But when I use this configuration it is at levels of maybe 75 to 80 DB. A bit above background music levels. For that it does a good job. This is just about right for writing code or trying to beat a sick server into submission.

May 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #13,303 of 21,175
Hello guys,
I ordered a pair of focus-a pads from head-direct tuesday last week. 
My question is how long does it take for them to actually ship the pads ?
It still shows the "paid" status.

P.S. I'm living in Europe.

I've ordered from them 3 times. They usually go out between 48-72 hours. They don't always email you to let you know that item has shipped.

May 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #13,304 of 21,175

I use the HA-2 out of my X5 when I want to move around with the 560s on my head. At moderate levels it sounds very nice. If you need peak levels to something like 110 to 120 DB, it isn't going to get it (of course your ears won't like you for this either). But when I use this configuration it is at levels of maybe 75 to 80 DB. A bit above background music levels. For that it does a good job. This is just about right for writing code or trying to beat a sick server into submission.

Thanks - I think we are suppose to listen to 80db or less or something like that...

I wonder how one goes about to measure the db, sorry I'm quite a newbie lol

May 25, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #13,305 of 21,175

Thanks - I think we are suppose to listen to 80db or less or something like that...

I wonder how one goes about to measure the db, sorry I'm quite a newbie lol

with a 130 dB SPL meter typically, there's a bunch on amazon. I personally chose a C weighted meter as I'm more interested in information regarding peaks and not quiet level readings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back