= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #11,102 of 21,175

Wonderful review! I only listened to the X briefly during Meet conditions and also found the tone to be a bit unnatural.

Quick question, if you had the 560, would the HD800 be a worthwhile addition or are they close enough too be redundant? 

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #11,103 of 21,175

Wonderful review! I only listened to the X briefly during Meet conditions and also found the tone to be a bit unnatural.

Quick question, if you had the 560, would the HD800 be a worthwhile addition or are they close enough too be redundant? 

They do have a similar sound signature, both being in the neutral bucket. However, I would still want HD800 for the details, transients, soundstage and instrument separation and HE-560 for the smoother sound, more natural tonality, fuller sound with more bass extension and more present and lively voices.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #11,106 of 21,175

If mod HD800 and will use Out of your head program you will not need HE-560 at all but otherwise HD800 are not redundant but a great complement

I would disagree...

HE-560 even at stock would still have more bass extension and sound somewhat smoother, less strident than HD800. Modded HD800 simply sound warmer, and slightly smoother, but still not as smooth as HE-560, which can be a bit too silky at times.

A modded HE-560, IMO, would only be behind HD800 in resolution, but would be superior everywhere else. Modded HE-560 essentially sounds like it has LCD-2/3 bass with HE-560 smoothness and midrange (but without the peak), and HD800's soundstage.

So I don't think HE-560 and HD800 would compliment one another very well at all.

Perhaps something like a full-size closed-back headphone would be more appropriate in this case... for those occasions when the wife must absolutely not be disturbed. 
redface.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #11,107 of 21,175

If mod HD800 and will use Out of your head program you will not need HE-560 at all but otherwise HD800 are not redundant but a great complement

I would disagree...

HE-560 even at stock would still have more bass extension and sound somewhat smoother, less strident than HD800. Modded HD800 simply sound warmer, and slightly smoother, but still not as smooth as HE-560, which can be a bit too silky at times.

A modded HE-560, IMO, would only be behind HD800 in resolution, but would be superior everywhere else. Modded HE-560 essentially sounds like it has LCD-2/3 bass with HE-560 smoothness and midrange (but without the peak), and HD800's soundstage.

So I don't think HE-560 and HD800 would compliment one another very well at all.

Perhaps something like a full-size closed-back headphone would be more appropriate in this case... for those occasions when the wife must absolutely not be disturbed. 
redface.gif

I also thought that HD800 don't have enough bass depth and body so got HE-560 but after trying Out of your head program I think differently

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #11,108 of 21,175
  Hey, that is one the absolutely best audio reviews I ever read. You are a great writer, it is so well thought out and clear and concise. It should serve as a model for other reviews. I wish I could write so well or have the discipline to organize my thoughts that well. Thanks!

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it. Please read one of my first reviews...I am ashamed of them now...We learn from experience :D 

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #11,110 of 21,175

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it. Please read one of my first reviews...I am ashamed of them now...We learn from experience :D 

Oh yeah I remember stumbling upon those and facepalming. Haha.

But yeah, excellent format and review write-up!

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #11,111 of 21,175
I also thought that HD800 don't have enough bass depth and body so got HE-560 but after trying Out of your head program I think differently

Don't those programs just colour the sound n a really fun way? I have always been afraid of using such processing or fear of getting my brain addicted to the sound.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #11,112 of 21,175
I've been out of the loop for a while in terms of non electrostatic headphones so I found out about these recently. Do these sound anything like an improved HE-4. I really liked those and if they are similar then these would be pretty tempting.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #11,113 of 21,175

Don't those programs just colour the sound n a really fun way? I have always been afraid of using such processing or fear of getting my brain addicted to the sound.

I use Can Opener (the “studio“ version) on occasion. With some recordings it does help the illusion of openess, but also, with the 560s, I find that many recordings have a better spatial sense and image specificity without it.

BUT—many recordings sound much more lush with it on; I liken the slight thickening of the lower midrange and upper bass that the program provides to the sound of most (but not the top tier) tube equipment. It is VERY addicting, but then, when I switch back to not using it, the additional openess is almost always welcome. I’m finding that there are certain recordings where I do use it (more for the coloration than the channel mixing) and many where it is not beneficial.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #11,114 of 21,175

Just install the trial version and decide for yourself. I can finally enjoy my music without using EQ

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #11,115 of 21,175
well done dan..one of the most unbiassed and to the point review i ever came across...well done my friend...hope for u u can also review the he1000... And for us! As for sure it would be a unbiassed review..again...well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back