= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 7, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #11,071 of 21,175

No, don't be sorry, great to get the input and I will indeed try a suggestion of yours. Here in Ontario we are lucky as if I remember correctly the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) is the single largest purchaser of spirits in the world which typically means that we get access to a very broad range of fine spirits from around the world. I'll go neat. I'm sure Wildcatsare1 will be interested in your suggestions as well. Cheers.

I gave ipaintcoat a positive reputation for that stellar recommendation 
beerchug.gif
! Though I would add Talisker to y list of Islays, and for a sweeter option, a nice, floral, Lowlander, Auchentoshan 18 for something completely different.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #11,072 of 21,175

I gave ipaintcoat a positive reputation for that stellar recommendation 
beerchug.gif
! Though I would add Talisker to y list of Islays, and for a sweeter option, a nice, floral, Lowlander, Auchentoshan 18 for something completely different.

Noted. I like complex, but drinkable liquor so suggestions like both of you are putting out here are very welcome. Now for a non-alcoholic suggestion try this:

HE 560 + your system + Dead Can Dance / Spirit Chaser (plus some nice Islay)

you're welcome

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #11,073 of 21,175
Noted. I like complex, but drinkable liquor so suggestions like both of you are putting out here are very welcome. Now for a non-alcoholic suggestion try this:

HE 560 + your system + Dead Can Dance / Spirit Chaser (plus some nice Islay)

you're welcome

I thought the Arctic winds had picked up, but it was the breeze created by SD patting himself on the back....:laughing:jking!!!! It is so freaking cold here, with s wind chill below zero, I was dying to make a "North wind" joke....back too the Talisker...

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #11,074 of 21,175
Received the baffles now.
HFM shipped them FedEx priority so took only 3[!] days to get all the way from China.
Installed the baffles and will listen later.
I must say, the customer service is awesome.
In the end, I ended up with two items for the price of one [the new rings seem even hard to get separately.]
So from my initial complaint, I am now a very, very happy customer 
biggrin.gif

Will listen later, but the fit and finish is definitely better, while being more robust vs. the plastic tabs.
I believe the HE-400i always came standard with these, as the one I had for review had them. So do the recent HE-560, I reckon.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #11,075 of 21,175
I thought the Arctic winds had picked up, but it was the breeze created by SD patting himself on the back....:laughing:jking!!!! It is so freaking cold here, with s wind chill below zero, I was dying to make a "North wind" joke....back too the Talisker...

LOL, damn cold here today as well. With windchill it was -33 celcius this morning. Still better than out west where many temps with wichill were getting closer to -50 celcius.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #11,076 of 21,175

LOL, damn cold here today as well. With windchill it was -33 celcius this morning. Still better than out west where many temps with wichill were getting closer to -50 celcius.

Now that's cold! Everyone down here is freaking out -8 Celsius lol. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #11,077 of 21,175

Then u guys must be buying 'canadian goose' winter coats a lot heh? As thats supposed to be the warmest coat u can buy for extreme artic weathers until minus 50 celcius degrees. :p

Damn..-50?? Coldest i ever experienced was -27 celsius (with very cold wind!! So it felt even colder!) at night here in the netherlands as far i can remember....and thats a lomg time ago..this year we didnt even have days lower then -3 (2days in total..lolz) celcius..and didnt see snow yet!! .and today we had 11degrees..IN deep winter!!! .this climate is getting rediculus..soon we dont have any winter left...one day soon people go on holiday to holland for the easy winter instead of people fleeing it because of the bad winter, as it was in the past and we could ice skate all night and day for weeks..where did all the good times of winter go? :D

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #11,079 of 21,175
I leave near ft lauderdale fl chilly today about 70 burrrr

Yes I live in Florida, and it's a cold 68, and the lass's have gone crazy and are wearing bikini's in such weather lol. Because of weather like this, I have a portable headphone rig lol.:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #11,081 of 21,175
I find the aluminum baffles improve the SQ. Both the lower and upper extremes seem to be slightly better handled and with slightly more control.
I am obviously not immune to bias, but I think I can hear it clearly... From a technological standpoint [better rigidity and stability of the baffles] it'd make sense IMO...
They also seem to hold better in the frame and seal tighter [more evenly] and firmer to the pads/mounting rings.
IMO. YMMV. [Or my ears are better rested today 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #11,082 of 21,175
im not in the market for he-560... being tight for cash and all. i happened to read this thread to head-fi's latest update from the main page. i noticed a lot of posters using the word holographic.

can i ask what does holographic sound means?

as some of you who read this might guess, english isn't my native language... cheers :D

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #11,083 of 21,175
  im not in the market for he-560... being tight for cash and all. i happened to read this thread to head-fi's latest update from the main page. i noticed a lot of posters using the word holographic.

as some of you who read this might guess, english isn't my native language... cheers :D

Holographic as I use it means the music has a sense of 3 dimensions instead of seeming flat and one dimensional. When I say flat picture listening to music using a very poor quality onboard soundcard and cheap dollar store headphones. That type of setup would produce very flat sound.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #11,084 of 21,175

Anybody is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but to me "holographic sound" means that the sound doesn't sound like its coming out of a headphone. There is no clear distinction as to if the sound is coming out of the left or right earcup - instead, sounds are just presented around you like as if you were actually there, much like how properly set up speakers will do.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #11,085 of 21,175

Anybody is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but to me "holographic sound" means that the sound doesn't sound like its coming out of a headphone. There is no clear distinction as to if the sound is coming out of the left or right earcup - instead, sounds are just presented around you like as if you were actually there, much like how properly set up speakers will do.

I think that is another way of saying the same thing I said, or a closely related aspect to it. But, yes when I think about it, I would add what you are saying to what I was saying for a more complete description of holographic. So not only does the nature of the sound image (e.g. 3 dimensional) matter, but where we perceive the sound image as originating is also part of being holographic. Thanks chowmein83, that helped articulate the concept more completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back