= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #8,971 of 21,175
You might like to be different and talk about it. Maybe you like some of the attention that you might get from that. I wont guess. I'll gve you some points for passion.
There's a difference between an expensive car that can accelerate, corner, brake and look far better than most other cars vs. an overpriced amp that only excels in one's imagination. At least most, not all, expensive amps are built well and are styled well. I'd invest in headphones as they make a big difference, do so carefully as there's a lot of fluff there as well.

Porsche is not the only one who does that..i owned a car who did circles around a 911 on a track with me behind the steering wheel :wink:
And i bought the code-x for the same reason i bought my amp for...not for social reasons..as NO ONE here even heard about blue circle OR code-x. :D
Let just say we agree in disagree in how we spend our money and how much :wink:

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #8,972 of 21,175
People talk about how they only want the amp to reproduce the source without coloration. Explain to me how it's possible to even know what the original source is supposed to sound like. It will always go through an amp of some kind. The only person who could honestly answer whether or not something is being colored would be the engineer who mastered it. We all think we know what it's supposed to sound like, but of course we just pick up the combination of equipment that makes it sound right to us.

Compare the input with the ouput with a differential amplifier. That's one way.
This is the year 2014, we have test equipment and have had this for many years. One can measure distortion as well as spectral content.
Amplifiers are not as complicated as some of us may believe. This is easy electronics that many here make more of than there really is.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #8,973 of 21,175
This is the year 2014, we have test equipment and have had this for many years. One can measure distortion as well as spectral content.
Amplifiers are not as complicated as some of us may believe. This is easy electronics that many here make more of than there really is.
remmeber the o2? An amp that was said to be totally neutral....and what did people say about it concerning its sound? Check it out urself..and then come back to me saying that an amp that MEASURES neutral is the best (non) sounding amp u can get. :D

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8,974 of 21,175
remmeber the o2? An amp that was said to be totally neutral....and what did people say about it concerning its sound? Check it out urself..and then come back to me saying that an amp that MEASURES neutral is the best (non) sounding amp u can get.
biggrin.gif

very good comment, i am baffled by the "scientific argument of measure by device and not ears"...Give to science his part, but give to your ears the better part of the experience is a rule of elementary philosophy and common sense...

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #8,975 of 21,175
People talk about how they only want the amp to reproduce the source without coloration. Explain to me how it's possible to even know what the original source is supposed to sound like. It will always go through an amp of some kind. The only person who could honestly answer whether or not something is being colored would be the engineer who mastered it. We all think we know what it's supposed to sound like, but of course we just pick up the combination of equipment that makes it sound right to us.

We don’t know exactly how the masters sound like, but a good neutral and transparent amp will sound like the source/dac. How would we know if the amp is neutral and transparent? By trying different source/dacs with an amp. If the sound signature changes accordantly to the character of the source it has to be neutral and transparent. If it sound more or less the same regardless of different source/dac it’s not.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #8,976 of 21,175
remmeber the o2? An amp that was said to be totally neutral....and what did people say about it concerning its sound? Check it out urself..and then come back to me saying that an amp that MEASURES neutral is the best (non) sounding amp u can get.
biggrin.gif

The O2 is a little short on power for many mainstream audiophile headphones which could be the cause of some problems. What's next, you gonna try to use a Bravo Ocean amp as an example? 
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #8,977 of 21,175
  The O2 is a little short on power for many mainstream audiophile headphones which could be the cause of some problems. What's next, you gonna try to use a Bravo Ocean amp as an example? 
tongue.gif

the Bravo Ocean i had one time owned is far better for exemple with the akg 701 than the Schiit magni amp... I heared the two and the owner of the akg with me was baffled by the pairing  of the  ocean and the 701, me too....    he purchased the Ocean bravo and sold schiit Magni the day after this experience...I trust my ears and the electrical synergy of the gear.... The ember i own now is far  better with the Akg and the He 400  than the Bravo ocean... best regards
biggrin.gif

p.s. i dont know the O2 and i am sorry for having derailed the thread
popcorn.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #8,978 of 21,175
Tyll has some interesting comments in his Philips Fidelio X2 review about how their engineers settled on the tuning of the driver.  I know it's not an amp, but that's not my point 
wink.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #8,979 of 21,175

the Bravo Ocean i had one time owned is far better for exemple with the akg 701 than the Schiit magni amp... I heared the two and the owner of the akg with me was baffled by the pairing  of the  ocean and the 701, me too....    he purchased the Ocean bravo and sold schiit Magni the day after this experience...I trust my ears and the electrical synergy of the gear.... The ember i own now is far  better with the Akg and the He 400  than the Bravo ocean... best regards
biggrin.gif

p.s. i dont know the O2

I listened to the Bravo Ocean and thought it was noisy and poorly constructed. At the going price, which is very affordable, there isn't much room for the cost of construction.
I never listened to the AKG 701, but some say it has a bit of treble emphasis. Was that the issue that the Ocean helped with?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #8,980 of 21,175
  I listened to the Bravo Ocean and thought it was noisy and poorly constructed. At the going price, which is very affordable, there isn't much room for the cost of construction.
I never listened to the AKG 701, but some say it has a bit of treble emphasis. Was that the issue that the Ocean helped with?

the Ocean Bravo has high gain output and yes is noisy....But with the Akg 701 compared to the schiit magni the synergy was night and day, not just with the high frequencies but across all the spectrum.... My point is not that the Ocean is better than the magni.... My point is that judgement of value based on one pairing is not representative of the  particular synergy of one element with another....The Ocean is on the same bracket price than the Magni, for me i had the Ocean at this time for pairing it with the He 400 and it was better for me than the Aune t1 and the Magni....I own now the Ember and this was the end of the road for me because with the he 400 that is better.....Best regards...
gs1000.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #8,981 of 21,175
lol. I wouldn't be able to comment on that as I do not own any CDs hahah. glad you are enjoying your music! there are certain settings on your computer that you can adjust to ensure good audio performance. cant seem to find the link right now.

There are people around here that state sound stage differences is more dependent on the source file than your headphones. I am still unsure. There is obviously the sound stage differences between closed and open that is very audible. Testing different open headphones against each other, I have not been able to ascertain whether that claim is true or false yet.

mmm... if there is a difference between CDs vs hi-rez, I would just tend to think that the differences are due to changes in mastering over sampling rate or even bitrate (as CD quality bitrate is basically equivalent to lossless).

lol. I wouldn't be able to comment on that as I do not own any CDs hahah. glad you are enjoying your music! there are certain settings on your computer that you can adjust to ensure good audio performance. cant seem to find the link right now.

There are people around here that state sound stage differences is more dependent on the source file than your headphones. I am still unsure. There is obviously the sound stage differences between closed and open that is very audible. Testing different open headphones against each other, I have not been able to ascertain whether that claim is true or false yet.

mmm... if there is a difference between CDs vs hi-rez, I would just tend to think that the differences are due to changes in mastering over sampling rate or even bitrate (as CD quality bitrate is basically equivalent to lossless).

Sound stage presentation is interdependent, it must be in the recording and you must have a transducer that can recreate/present the sound stage.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8,982 of 21,175
I agree about the measurments , however it would be nice if the community could have a reviewer not biased by its tastes . I know preferences play a major role but i think what hi fidelity is all about is the ability to reproduce sound as accurate as posibble and being able to convey the intended musical impact that the source carries. If you prefer a warmer or brighter presentation should be eliminated from a review IMO. A review should be as objetive as possible.

It would be too easy. To understand of character of headphones (and other audio-components) it would be enough to read measurments. For some reason it is far from enough in a real world. Why?))

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #8,983 of 21,175
very good comment, i am baffled by the "scientific argument of measure by device and not ears"...Give to science his part, but give to your ears the better part of the experience is a rule of elementary philosophy and common sense...
in short....i agree and my code-x, my Venom, my Radius Solo and my PaG applaud you :D

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #8,984 of 21,175

Actually there is a way to get a very strong "feel" for what music should sound like, attend copious numbers of concerts, symphonies, operas, etc., there more you attend, hopefully will result in developing a better "ear".

I don't now, living literally at the end of the Earth, but spent years "living" in great music venues.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #8,985 of 21,175

Stan-D, it is not that hard to build a functioning amplifier, where it becomes art, is creating one that plays music beautifully. HiFiManRookie is correct, the O2 is the perfect example of any fool being able to create an amplifier that functions and has good measurements. It takes an artist, skilled at design to build an amplifier that conveys the "soul", "gestalt" of a musical event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back