= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #8,941 of 21,175
Tyll said in his Opp PM-1 review that he was a "sucker for juicy sounding headphones". It's the first paragraph under "Sound Quality" section on page 2 of that review. To paraphrase he loves it's liquid smooth tubey sound.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #8,942 of 21,175
Obviously, the reaction to the treble is a subjective matter.  In some configurations I have found the treble sometimes seems to be on the verge of harshness without ever crossing the line. The edge of the treble has been very responsive to changes in the source line.  For example, I'm now using a CEntrance Dacport as a DAC into the Lyr 2, and changing the cable connecting the Dacport to the Lyr from a Mediabridge cable (which required a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor plug) to CEntrance's Reserve Series 1/4" to dual RCA cable eliminated the issue.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #8,943 of 21,175
The production Focus Pads sound grainy and shouty to my ears.

Some say that the Focus Pads A only change the sound slightly, but to my ears, it's a massive change. I am confident I can fairly accurately pick out which HE-560 has Focus Pads and which has Focus Pads A in a blind comparison test.

That and... I actually get a noticeably wider and deeper soundstage compared to the original production pads despite it sounding smoother in the treble range.

I'm trying to avoid having to modify my HE-560 if I can help it, but I'm guessing... putting a foam ring (the way Audio Technica smooths out upper midrange and lower treble on their full-size headphones) underneath the ear pads of the HE-560 will help smoothing out that hardness tremendously.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #8,944 of 21,175
  Obviously, the reaction to the treble is a subjective matter.  In some configurations I have found the treble sometimes seems to be on the verge of harshness without ever crossing the line. The edge of the treble has been very responsive to changes in the source line.  For example, I'm now using a CEntrance Dacport as a DAC into the Lyr 2, and changing the cable connecting the Dacport to the Lyr from a Mediabridge cable (which required a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor plug) to CEntrance's Reserve Series 1/4" to dual RCA cable eliminated the issue.

I definitely agree, with the source changing the shaping of the treble being too harsh or not. I feel with the Geekout1000, PanAm. and the NFB28 there is no issues with treble harshness, even though both the Geekout1000 and the NFB28 use the Sabre 9018 and tend to be a little bright(and harsh with the right headphone) But the ZMF X vibro which is smoother treble is harsher than the HE-560 on the NFB 28, which I can only relate to it being from using balanced with HE-560 in comparison to the single ended jack with the ZxV headphones. I am still getting use to the sound of the NFB28, it is very different from the other two DACs mentioned, Geekout1000 being the most fun/edgy/aggressive. The NFB28 sounds very good with the HE-560 but it is different with the pairing, hard for me to explain....like I cannot tell if I like it more or less than the GO1000 as a DAC. I think all 3 sound great with the HE-560, with the NFB driving them the best, but the GO1000 and the Panam(amp only) sounding very good especially for the price.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,945 of 21,175
  I'm trying to avoid having to modify my HE-560 if I can help it, but I'm guessing... putting a foam ring (the way Audio Technica smooths out upper midrange and lower treble on their full-size headphones) underneath the ear pads of the HE-560 will help smoothing out that hardness tremendously.

Stay tuned.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #8,946 of 21,175
  Stay tuned.

Oh, if you're gonna attempt it, please note that it's a ring, and not a foam dish.

And both the outer and inner diameters have to be of a specific size as well.

I'm guessing a good starting place would be to make the outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of the Hifiman plastic mounting ring, and the inner diameter could be 5mm or so less than the outer diameter. That way, you can simply hold the foam ring with the plastic mounting ring.

I have had great success with a DT770 that way, so I wouldn't doubt that it'll work with the HE-560 as well.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #8,947 of 21,175

Oh, if you're gonna attempt it, please note that it's a ring, and not a foam dish.

And both the outer and inner diameters have to be of a specific size as well.

I'm guessing a good starting place would be to make the outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of the Hifiman plastic mounting ring, and the inner diameter could be 5mm or so less than the outer diameter. That way, you can simply hold the foam ring with the plastic mounting ring.

I have had great success with a DT770 that way, so I wouldn't doubt that it'll work with the HE-560 as well.

Nah he's attempting nothing 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #8,948 of 21,175
  Nah he's attempting nothing 
biggrin.gif

Oh, you mean... I should do it?

Hmm... I could.

But... hmm... well, I guess no harm in that. My DIY amp could be tuned by other headphones.

Placing an order for some Beyer foam dishes now. I find those just the right size to mess with.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #8,949 of 21,175

Oh, you mean... I should do it?

Hmm... I could.

But... hmm... well, I guess no harm in that. My DIY amp could be tuned by other headphones.

Placing an order for some Beyer foam dishes now. I find those just the right size to mess with.

Nah that's not what I mean. Anyway.

I've tried different materials to attenuate treble, tissue paper, foam, etc, it always impacted treble clarity too much. IMO not worth trying but if you wanna, go ahead.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #8,951 of 21,175
  Yeah, that's always the case. But if you have a ring right in front of the driver that has a very specific size, I don't think it'll have that much of an impact.

It's the same principle as Anax mods on the HD800 after all.

A donut instead of a full disc you mean? I played around with that too, didn't like the effect (boosted the bass a lot but treble was barely attenuated).

What you describe is not like the Anax mod, that is damping for the area surrounding the HD800 drivers, not covering the drivers. Remember HD800 has a dynamic driver that only occupies the center portion of the cups, unlike Hifiman planars where the thing spans the whole cup.

Ultimately HE560's treble doesn't need much work, one simply needs to alter the overall tonal balance slightly so treble is less represented. No need to brute-force.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #8,952 of 21,175
Yeah, I guess it's not quite close in principle, but I thought the effect would be quite similar.

Well, if that's out, then I won't have to attempt it.

The HE-560 is indeed perfect everywhere, except for the treble range IMO.

If it could be smoother, it would be the perfect headphone.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #8,953 of 21,175
Agreed, I've got my system tuned for the HD800 so that's probably why I'm not having any issues with the HE560 treble.

Quote:
  I definitely agree, with the source changing the shaping of the treble being too harsh or not.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #8,954 of 21,175

The positive thing is Tyll is very open and honest about his biases, so it's fairly easy to "weigh" a review by him based on our individual tastes. I wish more reviewers would do the same. Our tastes don't match, I doubt he will loose any sleep over that fact, nor would I make a buying decision based solely on one of his reviews.

Reviews, Head-Fi'ers, objective data are all just different parts of the evaluation process, all being relatively equal.

At least Stereophile is somewhat in tune with Head-Fi, I just received this month's " Absolute Sound" which contained a "Buyers Guide", the HE500 and 400 were still recommendations with no mention of the 560/400i. Apparently Audeze is a bit better at the "pay for play" Old Boy system of audio reviewing.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8,955 of 21,175
Originally Posted by money4me247

I personally stand by the idea that once you can no longer personally reliably tell the difference in sound from a blind ABx comparison, you have gone way beyond the point of diminishing returns to the point where you are just throwing money into the fire pit. This can occur at different price points for different people, so there is really no real technical universal price limit. If you cannot reliably identify the sonic improvements in a blinded direct comparison, your additional spending has no actual tangible sonic benefit, though it may give you personal pleasure as many people shop for the sake of shopping. There is nothing wrong with that either.

If you purchase something because it makes you feel better or feel more connected to the music, that is totally fine as well. There are many factors that can allow you to enjoy music more... like when you are listening with your lover or when you have a yummy breakfast or are using the street drug ecstasy... there are a multitude of variables that trigger a positive emotional response to music unrelated to the actual sonic capabilities of your gear. 

I am not advocating that you need to set a price limit or spend money a certain way. I would just like more personal endorsements and personal impressions to be rooted in something beyond "this is how I feel about my music today." I am personally more interested in tangible reproducible sonic differences over subjective emotional impressions, but I understand that other people here have different priorities.

There is confusion when subjective impressions and personal endorsements that get thrown around here as factual information without any method to verify that these results are indeed audibly reproducible. There are even persistent claims among veteran members of sonic differences between certain sampling rates (proven mathematically to be impossible above a certain point as a sampling rate double the frequency response ensures perfect reproduction)!!! There are so many myths, claims, and misconceptions in this hobby that it is extremely frustrating to deal with. 

I just hope that this trend starts to change. When there is a claim of sonic differences between something, I would like to see the claim stated as a hypothesis that is independently verifiable by other members in an scientific fashion. I think exploration of what is causing the sonic change would be nice. Head-fi is supposed to be a forum of 'experts' and enthusiasts... not just a place where fans gather. I think more verifiable, reproducible information in this hobby would be good for everyone. :)

note: The idea that you can find audibly transparent gear at $200-$400 was simply the response to your mistaken assertion that I thought that my personal gear equated to audible transparency. And yes, it is true that diminishing returns kick in much earlier than that price bracket. You never get doubling of the sound quality for doubling of the price. I think the point for each person in the hobby is to find that personal point where they cannot appreciate a difference or find the difference to be not worthwhile. I strongly think that people are doing themselves a disservice not do a double-blinded experiment to remove expectation bias, which is a known confounding variable! This is especially true with an experience as subjective as sound.

No one is buying "more expensive" stuff because they can't tell the difference, that is the last reason you would get something expensive. Generally on this planet, however, the things that sound better also tend to cost more. It's easy really.. do so some research, narrow down the things you might like and can afford, go to a store or a show/meet and have a listen, compare it with some other stuff, if you love it, buy it, and be happy. Doesn't matter what anyone else does, says, or thinks. Be warned though, when you go to the store and ask to listen to setup "XYZ" and he says let me set it up for you while you listen to this Liquid Gold setup I have here, say thanks but no thanks, take a seat and wait. Because it is a trap!

Loosen up a bit, splash some cash, you only live once, there is some great sounding gear out there!

BTW.. double the frequency ensures perfect reproduction only in theory, if you can sample with exact precision, which doesn't happen with 16/24 bits in which case a higher sampling rate may in fact be better.. but if you can't hear it in an ABX test then it didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back