= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,931 of 21,171
  Whoa.  To be clear, you had to return the SOLOIST multiple times?

Bought a used soloist (2 days used), and after a while, the pin-connectors which were already a bit loose (which apparently happened during shipping from Australia) got even more loose. They got someone to try to fix it locally, got it back and after a few days, same problem came up. Returned it again and received a new unit. Has been working ever since.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #6,932 of 21,171
Picked up a Soloist SL at a knockdown price and am thinking hard about getting the HE-560. Any thoughts on the combo?

I've mentioned this a few times in the thread, I have the full-sized Soloist (basically the same as the SL), I think it fits perfectly since both are quite neutral.

I have the SL, as long as you use High Gain, you'll be set! :wink:

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #6,933 of 21,171
I also have a Soloist SL and am looking for a good DAC to pair with it.  I somewhat resolved on a Schiit Bifrost Uber, but it will be a while to obtain that now that I am in China.  I wonder if I should look for some Chinese company DAC, like Audio-GD or something.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,935 of 21,171
  I also have a Soloist SL and am looking for a good DAC to pair with it.  I somewhat resolved on a Schiit Bifrost Uber, but it will be a while to obtain that now that I am in China.  I wonder if I should look for some Chinese company DAC, like Audio-GD or something.

What about the Yulong DACs? They like their amps have been very well received.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #6,937 of 21,171
I have the D100 and they sound fantastic for the price. I still think Audio-GD has better performance to price.. Yulong has better aesthetics if that's your thing.

Naw, I'm a sound first kind of guy; that said if the sound was close, but one was much better looking, and prices very similar, I would take the better looking one myself.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #6,938 of 21,171
Well...the NFB 11.32 has the 9018 Sabre, to get that from Yulong you're jumping price 3x with a nice silver case vs Audio-GD's klunker look. I know implementation is key but Audio-GD knows their audio stuff. If you were basing it from balanced then you'll spend the same around $700 with AGD

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #6,939 of 21,171

I had the exact same problem, had to send it back a few times.

After much wallet hurt, finished my setup today:

Will be interesting to see how the HE-560s stand up against competition in the long term

Having a headphones stand or large storage foam box to store the HE-560 without requiring disconnecting the cables will be a good idea. Those SMC type RF cable connectors HIFIMAN is using are usually rated for 100 insertions reliability ...

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #6,940 of 21,171
I don't think formal specs like which chip used and price means much wrt DACs, honestly.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #6,942 of 21,171
Where did you get that information?

From the SMC connector datasheets available from component sites like digikeys, and element14. I was looking to buy better SMC RF connectors to build my own HE-500 cables and found out the facts along the way. It is not a lack of quality issue. But these RF connectors are just not meant for repeated insertion like those 6.35mm TRS and XLR plugs.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #6,944 of 21,171
  I don't think formal specs like which chip used and price means much wrt DACs, honestly.

hahaha... yeaaa, the funny thing about dacs is that there is absolutely NOTHING that you can use to objectively rate a DAC.

...not price, not specs, not the chip used, not the parts, not opening it up & looking inside, not even an exact blueprint of the build.....
maybe just the 'brand name' and subjective impressions lol. god must be heaven for those companies, considering how many 'reviews' out there nowadays are more like advertisements/endorsements.

I think it is prettyyyyy hilariousssss. I bet if there was some sort of objective way to measure and compare performance, some of the insanely ridiculous dac pricing might be reined in. Also really interesting how dacs can greatly outprice headphones and amplifiers when their impact on the sound is the most minimal. only a personal opinion of course. no need for anyone to get offended. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #6,945 of 21,171
  hahaha... yeaaa, the funny thing about dacs is that there is absolutely NOTHING that you can use to objectively rate a DAC.

...not price, not specs, not the chip used, not the parts, not opening it up & looking inside, not even an exact blueprint of the build.....
maybe just the 'brand name' and subjective impressions lol. god must be heaven for those companies, considering how many 'reviews' out there nowadays are more like advertisements/endorsements.

I think it is prettyyyyy hilariousssss. I bet if there was some sort of objective way to measure and compare performance, some of the insanely ridiculous dac pricing might be reined in. Also really interesting how dacs can greatly outprice headphones and amplifiers when their impact on the sound is the most minimal. only a personal opinion of course. no need for anyone to get offended. 

There are stats like SNR and THD that are useful when looking at DACs but you are right I guess because in the vast majority of solid state DACs these values are so good that they pass into the inaudible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back