= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #6,916 of 21,171
True. Maybe different upstream will produce difference results and just that with what I had paired them with I haven't came across a pairing where he560 gave me more body than he6. Tried pairing from using hm901 to ef100, nfb28, wa22, Lyr, LD VI and EF6.

kkcc, of those source/amp pairings what was your order of preference?  Were they all close, or the gaps between your favorite and #2, #3, etc. large?  I have been looking at the nfb28 / ref 10.32, something from woo audio, lyr, and the LD MK VI for my next amp and would love to hear your impressions.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #6,917 of 21,171
  Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to.
My previous, previous setup was a budget one, around 500$ [namely, the NFB-3.32, a warmish DAC and an Emotiva X-a100, a fairly neutral amp] and the HE-6 was good but not great or amazing.
I am willing to bet that HE-560 would perform quite a bit better off that setup.
My previous setup, a roughly $500 Compass2 DAC/amp sounded pretty great with the HE-560 [but wouldn't with the HE-6 due to lack of power] and my current mid/hi-fi SA31SE/NFB7 sounds even greater with the 560, so it certainly scales up too! [and will with the 400i as well, no doubt]... I'd have my doubt with the HE-6 though as it is a fairly neutral setup and because the HE-6 was already pretty bright with a kinda warmish setup... Might have been even brighter now.
I guess what I am trying to say is that with the HE-6 you ideally want a warmer setup [which yours setup kinda is, except for the NFB, maybe].
But what do I know? Maybe I'd be wowed with the HE-6 if I purchased it again, as this was a year ago.
Still, I think I'll wait for its successor or the Jade II for now...  HE-6's very low sensitivity with its bright nature and high revealing/scaling ability is an advantage for some but a downfall for others.

TL:DR - The HE-6 is a TOTL headphone that coupled with its very low sensitivity and bright nature requires very serious tweaking which is not for everyone.

Very good advice Luke.. 

beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #6,918 of 21,171

Neither, I haven't heard the 240, but I do laugh at it.

Last time I was in my local store testing things like the Auralic and a $6000 Luxman amp he handed me the AK240 and said have a listen to this. I laughed too then and said sure I am going to like this now. Then I had a listen to it with the LCD XC, damn it was good! Then I asked him how much did you say this was again? $399? Then he laughed at me and said no.. it's $3,399.. and then I cried.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #6,919 of 21,171

Very good advice Luke.. 

beerchug.gif

Yeah, you're the living example, Darryl 
beerchug.gif

You literally tailored your setup to fit the HE-6, or so it seemed to me 
biggrin.gif

Then again, the resulting sound must be amazing, no doubt 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #6,920 of 21,171
My FocusPads-A came in today.  Ordered late last week.. return address shows HFM's Indiana (or Illinois?.. I can't remember.) warehouse/location/dorm room/secret lair/whatever.. 

As you can see below, these FocusPads-A are symmetrical.  For me.. it appears the hoo ha over the (pre-production vs production) pad opening was just that: a lot of unwarranted consternation.  As someone whose ears are probably slightly larger than (the) average (American.. I'm East Indian), I actually find the FocusPads-A to be more comfortable than the production pads.  As jerg noted, there's ample room for the lobes and top of ear to tuck under the A pads.

SQ differences are slight, but noticeable.. I tend to prefer the tonality of the FocusPads-A some times.. and the production pads at other times.  While the A pads seem to offer a little more bass weight.. but the bass also sounds a little more muddy vs the production pads.  The A pads attenuate the upper mids/lower treble in a desirable manner which does lead to a slightly more neutral sound.. but again, the differences are so close that I can't unequivocally say one pads is better than the other.. as noted by others, it's really about some minor tradeoffs between the two.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,922 of 21,171
  Thanks for your concern. We are in contact with this customer and will make sure it is taken care of to his satisfaction. 

Peter

Thank you Peter and Fang, and please understand that my rather firm position on the subject is because I want HFM to grow and become the huge success it is obvious HFM can be. Quality control and customer service are as important (perhaps more important) as the technical aspects of a companies products. Anyway, hopefully everybody wins. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #6,924 of 21,171
My FocusPads-A came in today.  Ordered late last week.. return address shows HFM's Indiana (or Illinois?.. I can't remember.) warehouse/location/dorm room/secret lair/whatever.. 

As you can see below, these FocusPads-A are symmetrical.  For me.. it appears the hoo ha over the (pre-production vs production) pad opening was just that: a lot of unwarranted consternation.  As someone whose ears are probably slightly larger than (the) average (American.. I'm East Indian), I actually find the FocusPads-A to be more comfortable than the production pads.  As jerg noted, there's ample room for the lobes and top of ear to tuck under the A pads.

SQ differences are slight, but noticeable.. I tend to prefer the tonality of the FocusPads-A some times.. and the production pads at other times.  While the A pads seem to offer a little more bass weight.. but the bass also sounds a little more muddy vs the production pads.  The A pads attenuate the upper mids/lower treble in a desirable manner which does lead to a slightly more neutral sound.. but again, the differences are so close that I can't unequivocally say one pads is better than the other.. as noted by others, it's really about some minor tradeoffs between the two.

My FA Pads came yesterday, my early findings are that they are somewhat darker, bass heavy than the Production Pads. Slightly less comfortable for my "Dumbo" ears, almost too hot to wear. A bit early to pick a favorite, at this point they just sound different. Coming from the HD650, it almost seems like the F A Pads are a step back towards that HP, more to come, with time and experience.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #6,925 of 21,171
My FA Pads came yesterday, my early findings are that they are somewhat darker, bass heavy than the Production Pads. Slightly less comfortable for my "Dumbo" ears, almost too hot to wear. A bit early to pick a favorite, at this point they just sound different. Coming from the HD650, it almost seems like the F A Pads are a step back towards that HP, more to come, with time and experience.

Well, as a minimum if they aren't hard to swap in and out at least you can change the sound signature so hey, flexibility is a good thing. Hell I may get a pair of the A pads, but so far really enjoy the sound signature of the Focus pads.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #6,926 of 21,171
^Next the the grill mod, to counter the Focus A Pads closing everything in a bit :nut_and_bolt:!

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6,927 of 21,171

I've mentioned this a few times in the thread, I have the full-sized Soloist (basically the same as the SL), I think it fits perfectly since both are quite neutral.

+1

Awesome combo.

But full disclosure: my Soloist actually had problems with the HP out, and opening the case revealed that 2 pin-connectors were loose.  I was afraid I had lost it.  I have the touring pair of 560's, and I lost a couple of days with them because of my problems with the Soloist.

It is all running perfectly now...

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #6,929 of 21,171

I had the exact same problem, had to send it back a few times.

After much wallet hurt, finished my setup today:

Will be interesting to see how the HE-560s stand up against competition in the long term

Whoa.  To be clear, you had to return the SOLOIST multiple times?

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #6,930 of 21,171
I had the Conductor and loved the sound but sold it. Wish I hadn't now. Picked up a Soloist SL at half price. Couldn't believe my luck. Now I just need a DAC. I'm thinking something on the warm side. Around the £400 mark. Very much looking forward to hearing the HE-560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back