= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,761 of 21,171

I notice your location and wonder if being out in less populated areas for stretches of your life has a factor in hearing. I'd assume someone living/working in the city is going to have worse hearing over time than someone out in the country. 

It is extremely quiet here. No real traffic noise and a few birds etc. Also no real background noise, at all. But, I have lived in many places around the world, some busy, like in China, some time years ago in the Los Angeles basin, then out to the country in Nevada with no real noise and so on. Quite varied for sure. I would say that for the most part, Alaska is good to the ears and I love the 4 hour days and -20 to -30 degrees, really do, and it is real quiet then, also. 

I have a very fine horn home system, that has been in storage for a long time but I was listening to some live Neil Young once at concert level. Dumb. My ears hurt and rang for a while, though it was fun and like being there, this was in the country where it didn't bother anyone but my hearing. Anyway that cleared. I did have some ringing for some time and what cures it the best, listing with the HD650's. Crazy but they clear it right up, even if at higher volume. Must have something to do with the pressure. IEM's even at low volume, sometimes too low to enjoy, make my ears ring so I don't use them too often. I have been to concerts but when and if I go now, I protect my ears, totally. So, I still have a pretty good range and I was in Vietnam as a radioman, to give you some idea regarding age, for what that is worth. 

One nice thing about the 560's, I notice if I play them a little louder than I normally listen, one they don't distort and sound great but even more importantly, my ears give no signs of being stressed, which I can easily tell, if they have been. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5,762 of 21,171
I haven't been able to enjoy music the last 2 weeks; my desktop PC's EVGA GTX770 card has developed a clicky fan problem, now I have to wait for new fans that I ordered to arrive. Meanwhile there is a periodic clicking I have to endure, one pulse every 15 seconds.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #5,764 of 21,171
  Hi guys, here are 2 reviews of HE560
cnet: http://www.cnet.com/news/hifiman-ultimate-portable-music-player-will-make-your-ears-jump-for-joy/
hifi+: http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-listen-hifiman-he-560-planar-magnetic-headphones/?utm_campaign=Hi-Fi%2B+Weekly+Emails

That first one isn't anywhere remotely close to a review of the HE-560. The second one is more accurately described as an initial impression, as admitted by the author, though still interesting.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,765 of 21,171
I am sure someone is going to scold me for this, but I got tired of having to re-screw in the connectors, so I threw a dab of blue loctite on the threads... haven't come loose for 2 days now.  I am feeling like a genius.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #5,767 of 21,171
Not everyone understands the concept of torsional elasticity and its application in properly connecting Hifiman cables 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #5,768 of 21,171
Ok, I have to admit it, I have never had a problem with the connectors staying in place, not on the HE-6, HE-500 and now on the 560's, never do they get loose and I tighten them with my fingers. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #5,770 of 21,171
So I ordered some HE-500s a few days ago, but I was unaware of these new HE-560s!

I hear they are an improvement in the soundstage, treble, and comfort. Although I also have read they might not be as rich or organic as the HE-500s.

I was looking for a headphone that would be more fun and euphoric as opposed to my more analytical neutral Adam A7X monitors for mixing.

I'll test out the HE-500s tomorrow, but I'm intrigued by the HE-560s. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $300 though.

Currently I'll be using a Fireface 400 for a DAC and a Presonus HP4 for an amp.

I had this same issue happen to me when I initially bought Adam A7s the same month the Adam A7X came out. I returned the A7s for the A7Xs and they were indeed superior.

So I've searched this issue as much as I can, but if anyone has anymore input on whether the HE-560s are worth the extra $300 I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #5,771 of 21,171
  So I ordered some HE-500s a few days ago, but I was unaware of these new HE-560s!

I hear they are an improvement in the soundstage, treble, and comfort. Although I also have read they might not be as rich or organic as the HE-500s.

I was looking for a headphone that would be more fun and euphoric as opposed to my more analytical neutral Adam A7X monitors for mixing.

I'll test out the HE-500s tomorrow, but I'm intrigued by the HE-560s. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $300 though.

Currently I'll be using a Fireface 400 for a DAC and a Presonus HP4 for an amp.

I had this same issue happen to me when I initially bought Adam A7s the same month the Adam A7X came out. I returned the A7s for the A7Xs and they were indeed superior.

So I've searched this issue as much as I can, but if anyone has anymore input on whether the HE-560s are worth the extra $300 I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Fun and euphoric seems to suggest the 500 as it has the warmer sound signature of the 2, plus it is $300 less. Why not just enjoy them for a while and see how you like them? Later on if you want to try the 560 there are bound to be some available used here and interest in the 500 seems likely to remain as many people love that sound meaning when you go to sell you should still get a decent price for a 500.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #5,772 of 21,171
Soooo... I have spent more time with the HE560s and I take back what I said about the bass... (my media player settings were messed up!).
Tested this a bit ago:

(test track used mostly over on the extreme basshead thread -- and yes, HE560s indeed vibrate a bit! LOL)

Does it have the slamming bass that I like and crave most times (errmm... I have Ultrasone Sig DJs, modded Denon D5000s, Dido's D901s, JVC SZ1000s, etc)?
No! Sub-bass doesn't seem elevated at all BUT it has great presence and most of all great speed! This is probably the cleanest most balanced headphones I have ever heard. Like most have mentioned though, a slight bump in the treble region is noticeable, even more so with these being so airy... bump seems to give it a certain crispness that I like though and it doesn't mess up vocals from my fave ladies. Of course, I used to have an SRH940 and have Spider Moonlight Studios so comparing treble energy to those is downright laughable (yeah those two can be shrill sometimes/most times...)

Like I mentioned earlier, these are really "balanced" (neutral-ish) with a bit of warmth (but not LCD nor Alpha Dogs warmth). Mids are lovely as well and I can't believe the imaging of these. Soundtracks sound excellent, live songs are really involving. I have to say that I've been definitely surprised by these!

Frankly, I don't have as much experience as some other guys here, but I can definitely say that this is one of the best headphones (closed/open doesn't matter) I've heard with regards to overall sound, imaging and performance! It's like they were made up for the genres I listen to. Overall, HE560s >> all headphones in my profile in overall sound reproduction and experience (including Alpha Dogs, LFF Enigmas, D5000s, etc, etc, etc -- I don't have the T5p's to compare here but... I don't think I'd pick the Beyers anyway).

Does this mean that I prefer them over the ones in my profile?
Ermmm... no. :)
Even though these are the best sounding headphones I've tried and probably one of the most comfortable ones, I still love the closed-back "sound" (i.e. a bit more intimate, bass a bit slower and with more impact/thump, etc)

But I wouldn't have a problem recommending these to anyone looking for GREAT sounding cans.

Now, cons...

• These puppies LOVE POWER!!! Right now I'm driving them as: PC --> NuForce Icon HDP --> Burson Soloist SL (High Gain) Can't imagine these on better gear! (they probably give more expensive headphones a run for their money...)
  • Good quality cable BUT a bit short.
  • Box looks lovely but... well, not really usable. It becomes difficult getting the headphones in and out every time due to the way the foam cut-out is.

And that's it about cons! Not many really.

So props to HifiMan for making a kick-ass set of headphones. I'll try to post a proper review later in the weekend and then off to sell them probably! LOL

Now... where is the HE-XC ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? (a closed-back sounding like these... I'd probably sell most of my gear...)
But in the meantime, let's enjoy some Salsa...

:)

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5,773 of 21,171
  That first one isn't anywhere remotely close to a review of the HE-560. The second one is more accurately described as an initial impression, as admitted by the author, though still interesting.

The HiFi+ HE-560 preview is really good. HE-560 is not at all easy to drive as advertised . I have used decent amplifier (LD MK III). It couldn't drive 560s.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #5,774 of 21,171
  The HiFi+ HE-560 preview is really good. HE-560 is not at all easy to drive as advertised . I have used decent amplifier (LD MK III). It couldn't drive 560s.

The (pre-order) HE-560 measures exactly the same resistance as my HE5-LE, and in back-to-back listening tests yielded roughly the same SPL at the same gain level on my amp. The HE5-LE was not known as easy to drive, FWIW.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5,775 of 21,171

The (pre-order) HE-560 measures exactly the same resistance as my HE5-LE, and in back-to-back listening tests yielded roughly the same SPL at the same gain level on my amp. The HE5-LE was not known as easy to drive, FWIW.

The impedance doesn't mean that much with planars, it has been revealed already that HE560 has a substantially thinner substrate used for its diaphragm compared to past HFM planars, so that improves sensitivity without really doing anything to the impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back