= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5,791 of 21,175
There were a few mentions of this in the thread, try searching within the thread and you should find a few impressions. If I remember correctly the few TH900 users who posted seemed to prefer the 560 overall and specifically for the more articulate bass reproduction and the sound stage (although I believe the TH 900 like the D7000 has a very good sound stage for a closed can)>
Thank you. I only found one and it was very brief. I was hoping to hear a little bit more. Anyone?

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5,792 of 21,175
Anyone want to start a 21 year old and below club??
biggrin.gif

Just start your own thread for this. You've got the whole world -- in your hands.
Good luck.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,793 of 21,175
Yesterday afternoon I spent some time at the local Bryston dealer and tried the HE-560s with the Bryston BHA-1. I used my Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB DAC and fed its balanced output to the BHA-1 balanced input (had to build a custom cable, but no biggie). I fed my CLAS -dB with my Mac using Amarra 3 and kept the BHA-1 on low gain with my HE-560 attached to the 4 pin XLR balanced output. Certainly the power afforded by the BHA-1 helps drive the HE-560 with more authority. I tried various styles of music and found that I still prefer my HD800s for instrumental, jazz, classical and acoustics/vocals. That said, the HE-560 also does an excellent job with these genres and if I were in a financial bind, I would likely sell my HD800s and enjoy the HE-560s as a well rounded headphone.

One other comment - a couple of pages back people were commenting on tightening the cables onto the Hifiman HE series. I strongly disagree with some of the comments suggesting you can turn the molded portion of the cable to assist in tightening the connectors onto the headphones. You should ONLY turn the nut portion of the connector - turning the molded part has the effect of wearing down the connection between the male pin and the female socket in the center of the connector. To make it easier to tighten the connectors, get yourself a 6mm or 15/64" open-end wrench (often referrred to as an ignition wrench) - this will allow you to easily turn the nut portion of the connector and securely mate the male pin and female socket without wearing them down. I agree with others that this is a relatively poor design which is why I usually leave my cable attached and have modified the opposite end of the cable (that attaches to the amplifier output) with a 4 pin mini-XLR. I can then change to various adapters for balanced and SE without having to detach the cable from the headphone cups.

Dale

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #5,794 of 21,175
Got both my 560s back from Purrin today.  It only took one song to reinforce that I didn't want Focus pads on my 560s. Off they go along with the preorder 560s to Hifiman!

In other news,  expect a 400i vs 400 and 560 review sometime in the future.

As far as tightening the entire termination of the cables vs just the nut, bah humbug.  I've had my 400 for over two years and its connectors have never been weakened.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #5,795 of 21,175
  Got both my 560s back from Purrin today.  It only took one song to reinforce that I didn't want Focus pads on my 560s. Off they go along with the preorder 560s to Hifiman!

As far as tightening the entire termination of the cables vs just the nut, bah humbug.  I've had my 400 for over two years and its connectors have never been weakened.

Glad you have your 560s back... now you can enjoy them.

As for your comment re: tightening the cables, I'm speaking as an electronics technologist who's worked in the medical industry for over 28 years... tightening SMC connectors by the nut ONLY is the correct way to do it. If you've had success doing it the other way, may your good luck continue shining through. 

Dale

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #5,797 of 21,175
I would never imagine pads being so subjective. I guess it's great but at the same time it's not :p

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,798 of 21,175
You should not be using the nut to install the HFM connectors, and encouraging others to use a wrench may permanently damage the female connector on the ear cup.  Just push the connector on far enough and use the black moulding to turn it tight.  The brass connector is jointed so it will lock when pushed in for tightening and let you use finger pressure to screw the connector tight.  Use a wrench at your own risk, YMMV!  It is really simple when done correctly!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,800 of 21,175

Focus A pads for me as well........I look forward to more impressions with the Focus A pads!  I could live with the Focus pads if I had to but with +3 db at 2khz and -5db at 4khz with my Parametric EQ, I prefer not to EQ so Focus A.  I like the mids better with the Focus A pads, vocals sound more natural IMO, more forward and in their own space, the music is more emotional sounding with Focus A, more strident and aggressive with the Focus pads, IMO!

I will make sure I have Focus A pads for use down the road, I like being able to tune the sound for that last little bit of performance.....that is why I have a $899 pair of HE560's, personal preference!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,801 of 21,175
  I do twist the nut as much as I can before twisting the entire deal for the last bit of taughtness though, I do recommend using the nut!

Thankfully I don't use the stock cable, so I don't need to use the nut, my cables and adapters are more supple.  Peter at Doublehelixcables.com has built a lot of HFM cables and adapters, and I agree with him, if the HFM connector is not defective, you don't need to tighten the nut. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,802 of 21,175
I think they're great with both pads. Focus-A sound smoother, regular Focuses sound more energetic IMO.
I could live with either but I already have stated my current preferences...
This is purely subjective. YMMV.

Those who have a preference for warmer, smoother sound will definitely prefer the Focus-As IMO.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5,804 of 21,175

Peter at Doublehelixcables.com has built a lot of HFM cables and adapters, and I agree with him, if the HFM connector is not defective, you don't need to tighten the nut. 

Wow, a company selling $900 headphone cables. 
rolleyes.gif
Thanks, I just appreciated the stock cable that much more...

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #5,805 of 21,175
  Wow, a company selling $900 headphone cables. 
rolleyes.gif
Thanks, I just appreciated the stock cable that much more...

Geez dude, it's not like that's the price of the headphone.
Oh, wait it is! 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back