= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #5,806 of 21,175
On topic, the HE-560 is starting to sound really amazing for me. Especially with many instrumental game OSTs. Not like it is a slouch in everything else of course 
biggrin.gif

It sounds so extended in the treble but not a hint of harshness. Color me astounded...

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #5,807 of 21,175
  On topic, the HE-560 is starting to sound really amazing for me. Especially with many instrumental game OSTs. Not like it is a slouch in everything else of course 
biggrin.gif

It sounds so extended in the treble but not a hint of harshness. Color me astounded...

The Halo soundtracks are OUTSTANDING on the HE-560. They're mostly instrumental other than the 'monk chanting' and the occasional rock/pop track from Halo 2, but the overall rock feel definitely lends itself well to the HE-560. The Dragon Age soundtracks are also a treat to listen to on the 560.

Dale

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,808 of 21,175
The Halo soundtracks are OUTSTANDING on the HE-560. They're mostly instrumental other than the 'monk chanting' and the occasional rock/pop track from Halo 2, but the overall rock feel definitely lends itself well to the HE-560. The Dragon Age soundtracks are also a treat to listen to on the 560.

Dale

Oh I absolutely love those too.

I really like Infamous soundtrack and TLoU OST just brings so many feels... Not to mention Zimmer's work :)
So many great OSTs honestly.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #5,809 of 21,175

Peter at Doublehelixcables.com has built a lot of HFM cables and adapters, and I agree with him, if the HFM connector is not defective, you don't need to tighten the nut. 

Wow, a company selling $900 headphone cables. 
rolleyes.gif
Thanks, I just appreciated the stock cable that much more...

There are a lot of HP cables from DHC, starting at $100 for DIY materials available there....the stock cable is worth less than $30, on a $899 headphone? 

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,810 of 21,175
  Geez dude, it's not like that's the price of the headphone.
Oh, wait it is! 
rolleyes.gif

Let's start a company with a Scandanavianesque name, buy cable in bulk and cut it up. We can make a killing!!

There are a lot of HP cables from DHC, starting at $100 for DIY materials available there....the stock cable is worth less than $30, on a $899 headphone? 

Higher price = better sound. Gotta love audio
wink_face.gif

Yes, DIY FTW however some of the margins some companies work with are just ridiculous IMO.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #5,811 of 21,175

Higher price = better sound. Gotta love audio
wink_face.gif

Yes, DIY FTW however some of the margins some companies work with are just ridiculous IMO.

I think all audio companies are in business to make money, including HFM...$900 is a lot for a cable, $899 is a lot for a headphone, not to derail this thread but profit margin is the goal of getting into business, nuff said!

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #5,813 of 21,175
  I think all audio companies are in business to make money, including HFM...$900 is a lot for a cable, $899 is a lot for a headphone, not to derail this thread but profit margin is the goal of getting into business, nuff said!

Of course value is entirely subjective. However looking at it objectively, unless I'm missing something, building/tuning a headphone is very different from a headphone cable when considering what you can achieve with DIY.

The way I see it, $200 of that $899 HE560 price tag is putting up with us bunch and listening to our different taste preferences/suggestions while working on an HE6 successor and an E-Stat. I don't see Sennheiser or Audeze listening to the crowd here and making changes that directly effects production, at least not that I know off.. $899 is justifiable but again it's all subjective. Someone on the outside is looking at us like a bunch of crazies paying $500-$1500 for headphones. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5,814 of 21,175

Of course value is entirely subjective. However looking at it objectively, unless I'm missing something, building/tuning a headphone is very different from a headphone cable when considering what you can achieve with DIY.

The way I see it, $200 of that $899 HE560 price tag is putting up with us bunch and listening to our different taste preferences/suggestions while working on an HE6 successor and an E-Stat. I don't see Sennheiser or Audeze listening to the crowd here and making changes that directly effects production, at least not that I know off.. $899 is justifiable but again it's all subjective. Someone on the outside is looking at us like a bunch of crazies paying $500-$1500 for headphones. 

Does a below $100 cable/headphone/amp/dac sound as good as a $900 cable/headphone/amp/dac.....it's all subjective as well as personal taste, that is what the audio business is all about!

Let's get back to discussing the fantastic HE-560. it's marvelous!

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,815 of 21,175

Does a below $100 cable/headphone/amp/dac sound as good as a $900 cable/headphone/amp/dac.....it's all subjective as well as personal taste, that is what the audio business is all about!

Let's get back to discussing the fantastic HE-560. it's marvelous!

Nice to see you've warmed to the 560 sound. Imagine how bummed I am, my set sits here, but I can't use them as I shipped my A2 off to the buyer and my amp sits in customs, almost 4 days now, just sitting there. Then to add insult to injury they are going to nail me with a huge bill to fund that efficient little operation they have there. To be fair my guess is the delays are the vacations being taken by customs staff. Still, that sucks.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,816 of 21,175

Nice to see you've warmed to the 560 sound. Imagine how bummed I am, my set sits here, but I can't use them as I shipped my A2 off to the buyer and my amp sits in customs, almost 4 days now, just sitting there. Then to add insult to injury they are going to nail me with a huge bill to fund that efficient little operation they have there. To be fair my guess is the delays are the vacations being taken by customs staff. Still, that sucks.

I've sent 3 international items at the same time. Canada, Spain, and Sweden. The Spain and Sweden ones got there in 7 days. Meanwhile Canada took 3 weeks, SMOKE BREAAAK.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #5,819 of 21,175
And darn proud of it!

Anyone calling me again? Oops..but am not nuts or crazy..just a bit non-normal :D
But seriously.. Many call me nuts in spending s certain amount of money on my hobbies..audio being one of them :D like many of us here..hehehe

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5,820 of 21,175

I've sent 3 international items at the same time. Canada, Spain, and Sweden. The Spain and Sweden ones got there in 7 days. Meanwhile Canada took 3 weeks, SMOKE BREAAAK.

In all fairness, normally things move quickly. My HE 560s went from hitting the border to clearing customs and reaching me in 2 days. A few months back my Asgard 2 right from Schiit to my place in I think it was 5 days so in general things clear quickly enough, this is my first experience with a significant delay. I can only hope that it is nothing more than a backlog of work at customs. The seller did declare the item as a gift, but with a value of $500 US so that may have attracted attention. Hopefully I'll know soon enough. I am so freaking dying to listen to my 560s. This truly blows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back