= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #18,931 of 21,179
Wow, sorry to hear this - maybe see if you can gamble on a used set? seems like the new ones (maybe a batch) might be having major QC issues.

:triportsad:

I think I'm going to try the warranty route since I'm very leery of buying one of these without a warranty and I think you're right this is a bad bad batch out there now. We'll see if this gets anywhere. At least their CS is pretty responsive.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #18,932 of 21,179
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #18,933 of 21,179
yes I agree :) - I see the error of my ways! :triportsad:
How close sounding to a completely undamped (including no grilles) HE 6 does the HE 560 come ?

If not for the fact that the HE 6 was completely unwearable, due to weight & comfort issues, after 15mins or so; that's not going to work if you're listening to Mahler( or even some Beethoven Sonatas), I would still be using them !

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #18,934 of 21,179
yes I agree :) - I see the error of my ways! :triportsad:
:) It’s all good man. It’s very cool you even responsed as most would have just blown it off.
I agree with you though as the 560 likes and needs some power, at least for me.
When I flip the Lyr2 on high gain, roll in a nice tube, the bass definitely kicks in, the treble smooths out and it sounds just perfect.
As a side note, David is the one who insistently pushed me (in a very good way) into getting this HP which I’m glad he did.
Enjoy!

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #18,935 of 21,179
Yeah, I agree with the need for power as well. Personally I'm really enjoying the HE560 from the Burson V2+ fed by my tube DAC.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #18,936 of 21,179
My 560s sound different and to my ears better on my NFB-28 than they do on my Black Label, but I wouldn't call them underpowered or in need of wattage on the Black Label.

There is a difference between needing power (because they sound bad without it) and scaling well (sounding better with more power). If DavidA says the UD-301 drives them well, then, by god, I believe him. I am surprised that he thinks that, but I still believe him.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #18,937 of 21,179
:) It’s all good man. It’s very cool you even responsed as most would have just blown it off.
I agree with you though as the 560 likes and needs some power, at least for me.
When I flip the Lyr2 on high gain, roll in a nice tube, the bass definitely kicks in, the treble smooths out and it sounds just perfect.
As a side note, David is the one who insistently pushed me (in a very good way) into getting this HP which I’m glad he did.
Enjoy!

:thumbsup:

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #18,938 of 21,179
If you never heard a Teac amp I'd suggest trying one out since they seem to perform much better than what the specs say from those that I've tried so far. As I noted above that the UD-301 headphone output only has 100mW I think its a high quality 100mW that it puts out and it seems to have better synergy with more headphones than my Ember or Lyr2 but since I listen at fairly low levels it may / might be under powered for someone who listens at 85dB+ since that about as loud as I can get the HE560 with the UD-301.

The headphone jack of my Teac A-H01 is also only rated at 100mW and its the same when I tried the headphone jack of a friend's UD-501 (100mW), they all sound the same to me and also to the owner of the UD-501 who also has the HA-501 paired with it. The HA-501 is an interesting amp since there is a switch which you can change the damping factor (as TEAC calls it - like changing the output resistance on the Ember) and its like a fine tuning to better match the amp to a headphone.

@koover, can't thank you enough for the tubes / adapters for the Lyr2, they are still in use and I think much better than most of the sub $100/pair tubes that I have.
@phthora, your point on the power versus scaling is a great point that I think gets lost at times since most "powerful" amp are usually seem to be built better IMO.
@Haris Javed I would have been thinking the same as you that the HE560 is under powered with the UD-301 but hearing is believing for me. I hope you get to try a Teac amp since I feel they are under appreciated but it also means there are some great deals out there.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #18,939 of 21,179
@DavidA , absolutely, the TEAC gear is solid and flies under the radar. I wish I needed an amp/DAC as on a Canadian used gear site I saw a mint 501 going for a stupidly low price, like stupidly low. Nice to hear some love for TEAC.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #18,940 of 21,179
I s'pose I could chime in to say that I've yet to experience any issues with either 560 that I've owned. The first pair was purchased Oct. 2015, and I sold them last year to fund other stuff. Then I got my second new pair for $588 CDN early last month, and it's been fine thus far. Sounds good out of my Master 9. Also, a wee shout out to Triton Audio Cables for building such a great balanced cable for said cans!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #18,941 of 21,179
Just to say that my Batman ones have the original headband and are first gen (screw in connectors).

And the headband is still totally fine after all this time.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #18,943 of 21,179
If you never heard a Teac amp I'd suggest trying one out since they seem to perform much better than what the specs say from those that I've tried so far. As I noted above that the UD-301 headphone output only has 100mW I think its a high quality 100mW that it puts out and it seems to have better synergy with more headphones than my Ember or Lyr2 but since I listen at fairly low levels it may / might be under powered for someone who listens at 85dB+ since that about as loud as I can get the HE560 with the UD-301.

The headphone jack of my Teac A-H01 is also only rated at 100mW and its the same when I tried the headphone jack of a friend's UD-501 (100mW), they all sound the same to me and also to the owner of the UD-501 who also has the HA-501 paired with it. The HA-501 is an interesting amp since there is a switch which you can change the damping factor (as TEAC calls it - like changing the output resistance on the Ember) and its like a fine tuning to better match the amp to a headphone.

@koover, can't thank you enough for the tubes / adapters for the Lyr2, they are still in use and I think much better than most of the sub $100/pair tubes that I have.
@phthora, your point on the power versus scaling is a great point that I think gets lost at times since most "powerful" amp are usually seem to be built better IMO.
@Haris Javed I would have been thinking the same as you that the HE560 is under powered with the UD-301 but hearing is believing for me. I hope you get to try a Teac amp since I feel they are under appreciated but it also means there are some great deals out there.

Not to derail this thread too much, but is that Teac a current mode amplifier? That might explain why the wattage specs don't seem to match the experience. BTW, the UD-501 is up on Massdrop for $360. Seems like a hell of a deal.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #18,944 of 21,179
Not to derail this thread too much, but is that Teac a current mode amplifier? That might explain why the wattage specs don't seem to match the experience. BTW, the UD-501 is up on Massdrop for $360. Seems like a hell of a deal.
I saw the MassDrop UD-501 also but its a little too big for my setup and my GF is already on my case for making space on the living room table :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I'm not sure if the UD-301 is a current mode amp and couldn't find anything of note on the Teac site but if someone can clue me in I'd like to know.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #18,945 of 21,179
I s'pose I could chime in to say that I've yet to experience any issues with either 560 that I've owned. The first pair was purchased Oct. 2015, and I sold them last year to fund other stuff. Then I got my second new pair for $588 CDN early last month, and it's been fine thus far. Sounds good pout of my Master 9. Also, a wee shout out to Triton Audio Cables for building such a great balanced cable for said cans!

+1 for Triton. I've bought several cables from them and have been satisfied every time. Nice cables and very fast service with great communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back