= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #18,921 of 21,179
2F858BED-DED6-4B02-800E-F7AB1C70B391.jpeg
Honestly if I were you I'd cancel. My headphones took nothing for the headband to break on both sides and a lot of others had the same thing happen. Even if it's a defective batch of plastic, such an important support piece shouldnt be made of thin plastic, period. If you've ever dropped a pair of headphones in your life, you're going to want to go with something else because they will break. It's just a question of when. Plus, if HifiMan is DCing these, they probably have a better design coming.

Ouch, the ring surrounding the ear piece broke and i only had this less than a month from adorama and i only,listened to it occasionally. It is going back.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #18,924 of 21,179
In my mind there's no doubt that the units sold on Andorama is a bad batch. Quality issues are far more common since that deal than before.....

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #18,925 of 21,179
Hi Dave, I too have the 400, 400i. But also the 500. How does the 560 compare to what I already have?
Thanks
I haven't heard a HE500 in a long time so don't put much weight on this: The HE560 is the brightest of all but since the treble is smooth it doesn't seem like its as bright. Mids are not as smooth as the HE500 and the bass is not quite like my HE400 (highly modded). HE560 is also not very efficient so an amp is usually needed but it will also depend on your listening level and since I'm usually at 65-75dB I can get this listening level with the headphone jack of my UD-301 which is only 100mW at 32ohm but if you are listening at 85-95dB the UD-301 will not be enough to get you there.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #18,926 of 21,179
I haven't heard a HE500 in a long time so don't put much weight on this: The HE560 is the brightest of all but since the treble is smooth it doesn't seem like its as bright. Mids are not as smooth as the HE500 and the bass is not quite like my HE400 (highly modded). HE560 is also not very efficient so an amp is usually needed but it will also depend on your listening level and since I'm usually at 65-75dB I can get this listening level with the headphone jack of my UD-301 which is only 100mW at 32ohm but if you are listening at 85-95dB the UD-301 will not be enough to get you there.

wow you are starving your HE-560's...they like power. If you drive them with a good powerful amp, you will be amazed by the sound they produce. I own He-6 that are powered by a parasound a21 amplifier, and powering my He-560's with AudioGD NFB 28 amp I am 85% in the He-6 territory. Earlier in this thread I posted a white paper by Texas Instruments detailing how resistance, frequency, and power can play a role in what you hear from your speakers / headphones. If you are in the MN area, I can lend you my amp for a few hours, and see if you notice a difference. The only pairing that I couldn't stand with my He-560 was with Schiit Lyr (v1.0), not sure why but my He-560 sounded tubby, bloated, and full of harshness with that amp, I am probably an outlier as many others love that pairing. I did enjoy my DT990 paired with the Lyr.

good luck!

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #18,927 of 21,179
*** the right driver died on the second set after TWO hours. I don't know what I have to do to get a functioning set of these headphones. I love the sound but the build is garbage.

Wow, sorry to hear this - maybe see if you can gamble on a used set? seems like the new ones (maybe a batch) might be having major QC issues.

:triportsad:

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #18,928 of 21,179
wow you are starving your HE-560's...they like power. If you drive them with a good powerful amp, you will be amazed by the sound they produce. I own He-6 that are powered by a parasound a21 amplifier, and powering my He-560's with AudioGD NFB 28 amp I am 85% in the He-6 territory. Earlier in this thread I posted a white paper by Texas Instruments detailing how resistance, frequency, and power can play a role in what you hear from your speakers / headphones. If you are in the MN area, I can lend you my amp for a few hours, and see if you notice a difference. The only pairing that I couldn't stand with my He-560 was with Schiit Lyr (v1.0), not sure why but my He-560 sounded tubby, bloated, and full of harshness with that amp, I am probably an outlier as many others love that pairing. I did enjoy my DT990 paired with the Lyr.

good luck!

Check his details, he's got plenty of options :wink:

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #18,929 of 21,179
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #18,930 of 21,179

good luck!
Believe me, David's got game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back