= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #18,948 of 21,171
Unfortunately I've been struck with the HE560 cracking yoke syndrome.

9937072_l.jpg

I've requested a return with Adorama. I'm a bit torn though as these sound really good. Absolutely the most refined sound of any of Hifman model I've tried. I'm sure most of us can agree that Hifiman man not win any awards for build quality but the trend that is developing with these later build HE-560s seems to be a little disconcerting. At this point I don't think I want to mess with a replacement yoke as the replacement might break and then there is the possibility of sudden driver death. I have several other good pairs of headphones including other Hifiman models which have been running strong for a couple years now. I think I'll just stick to what I have now and wait for a good deal on a used pair of HE-500s or possibly some Elears if the price on those get a little sweeter.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #18,951 of 21,171
Ugh. I'm also torn about whether to try for a third pair or just call it a day with HiFiMan and their awful QA. The sound is just so good on the 560s.....for a couple hours, anyway. :triportsad:
Feel for you man :disappointed:. Maybe third times a charm?

@bwcgrx, is yours also from Adorama?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #18,952 of 21,171
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #18,953 of 21,171
Still a bit suspicious about that Adorama stock, but they finally had them in stock, so I pulled the trigger. Price is too good to pass up. Will be keeping a close eye on them for 30 days.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #18,954 of 21,171
It does appear that there is quite probably an issue with the quality of plastic in the recent batch of HE-560s being sold through Adorama. I've little doubt that they are official product supplied and supported by Hifiman. There have been three different product boxes throughout the life of this headphone model each one a bit less fancy an ornate than the previous. The change in product box was obviously done to keep profits higher amid cuts to the MSRP over time. It's not a big leap to imagine that there may have been cost cutting measures elsewhere in the production cycle. This may have resulted in some marginalized parts that have slipped passed quality control. No slight to Hifiman here as just about every company in every sector is trying to minimize production costs while maintaining highest profits possible. Issues happen from time to time and I've yet to hear that Hifiman did not making things good.

I just wish these problems were not happening as the $350 price point for these cans is fantastic. Even if Adorama offers a replacement I think right now there is an 80% chance I'll just take a refund instead. Its just a shame.

One thing I did notice with my set of 560s is that the clamp on my head was much tighter than that of either the 400i or 400s. I tried to carefully adjust the clamp pressure by bending the metal headband slightly. It did help but the clamp was still strong. This clamping force did seem to put a significantly higher amount of pressure on the plastic yokes. Combine the clamp with potentially compromised plastics and you have a recipe for disaster.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #18,955 of 21,171
@bwcgrx, the clamping force of my HE560 and HE400i when new were quite high also so I did have to bend the headbands to relieve some of the pressure since it was causing me some pain after 30-45 minutes. FWIW both of my HE560 (gave first one to my son) are the older SMC jack versions along with my HE400i but I did pay a lot more for them 4 years ago.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #18,956 of 21,171
I just wish these problems were not happening as the $350 price point for these cans is fantastic.
I did not have any issues with my pair from Adorama, however I returned them. Even at the $350 price they did not sound good enough for me to keep. I much prefer the sound of my Beyer Amiron . There was only one area that I thought the he 560 bested the Amiron and that was in the texture and body of bass on percussions.
I worked for many years in the plastic industry, and know if the formula for the plastic that was used for the 560's was a little off, maybe too little polyethylene, that could cause a deficiency in the strength of the plastic. I am glad I got to hear them, if I did not have the Amiron and 6 other pairs of phones I would have maybe took a chance with them.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #18,960 of 21,171
560 needs better stock earpads, it a bit shallow. It's not sealed well, and probably loses slight bass. It is on the bright side, fine for the most part, but slightly passes the point of what I consider the point that has good treble presence and sounds balanced. Good resolvability, and like that it has clear mids. No dullness to it's sig due to it's treble. The only issue I have is that treble can have a harshness depending on the track, and I think this energy is in the 7-8k, and if this energy is not around, it sounds fine. It happens with passages that has this scratchy-grainy sounds, which includes certain types of vocal sibilance. Sounds like a sig that is toward neutral with a bit of treble emphasis. Bass is fast and tight.

As far as comfort. Not sure if I'm the best person to express as I'm not all that picky, I just want good sound. It's not one of the weighty headphones, light side compared to what I've been used to. Some pressure against the ear, but not like HD650 vice grips when you initially get them. The shallow pads is what I notice the most.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back