= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #18,166 of 21,173
@AlanU, hope your kids know how lucky they are, my son knows he's fortunate to have the HD560 but he also loves to "borrow" other headphones so he is now the owner of my T1gen1 and a Nhoord Red V2 build that I built a few months ago which has become his primary headphone since its so easy to drive and sounds great out of a phone or cheap DAP like the Fiio X1. His choice of closed headphones are currently a Momentum on-ear which I suggested to him since they were so cheap used on Amazon, $45-65 depending on the color, it why I also got 6 of them for x-mas and birthday gifts for a few of my friends a few years ago.

For some unknown reason to me I just didn't care for the tuning of the Ether, EtherC and Alpha Prime headphones for the few times that I've had them for a month or so from friends, they all just sounded a little too neutral with no excitement for me. But since we all hear differently and even our preferred genres of music will influence our choice of headphones.

And consider yourself lucky to have a place where you can audition gear, for me its been mostly "buy and try" but over time I've been lucky to have met others who share this sometimes crazy hobby.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #18,167 of 21,173
Cheers for the detailed description! I appreciate what you could glean from that limited exposure to them.

I'm definitely curious about the aeon, as it would be great to have something even remotely as enjoyable as my 560's at work or on the go. My dt770's are great, but I've had a taste of the good life now, so they pale in comparison to a degree.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #18,168 of 21,173
@AlanU, hope your kids know how lucky they are, my son knows he's fortunate to have the HD560 but he also loves to "borrow" other headphones so he is now the owner of my T1gen1 and a Nhoord Red V2 build that I built a few months ago which has become his primary headphone since its so easy to drive and sounds great out of a phone or cheap DAP like the Fiio X1. His choice of closed headphones are currently a Momentum on-ear which I suggested to him since they were so cheap used on Amazon, $45-65 depending on the color, it why I also got 6 of them for x-mas and birthday gifts for a few of my friends a few years ago.

For some unknown reason to me I just didn't care for the tuning of the Ether, EtherC and Alpha Prime headphones for the few times that I've had them for a month or so from friends, they all just sounded a little too neutral with no excitement for me. But since we all hear differently and even our preferred genres of music will influence our choice of headphones.

And consider yourself lucky to have a place where you can audition gear, for me its been mostly "buy and try" but over time I've been lucky to have met others who share this sometimes crazy hobby.

Indeed an evil hobby!! The subjective nature of hearing is open field to happiness whatever headphones you borrow or own. I know there's other better headphones out there but the HE560 are quite nice especially for the current price point.

In Vancouver we are extremely fortunate to have the Headphonebar as a fantastic place to audition headphones. The owner/operator Travis is pleasant and knowledgeable with an amazing environment in his store.

I do inform my girls that they should appreciate what they have. Each have their own personal desktop/monitor station with headphone stand. They do know they are fortunate I'm the electronics/audio equipment provider in the family.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #18,169 of 21,173
Cheers for the detailed description! I appreciate what you could glean from that limited exposure to them.

I'm definitely curious about the aeon, as it would be great to have something even remotely as enjoyable as my 560's at work or on the go. My dt770's are great, but I've had a taste of the good life now, so they pale in comparison to a degree.

If you look at the wide variety of HP out there it's all about setting your budget and get the best HP that your ears appreciate.

Today I was willing to get the AEON Flow. For a closed headphone I think it's hit a nice sweet spot for my ears. The overall "feel" of the closed headphone is still there. You do not get that breathing airy open atmosphere feeling in soundstage. However it's probably not very realistic or logical to expect that kind of soundstage for a closed headphone.

For a nice portable closed headphone I enjoy my darker, warmer Denon MM400 which is a bargain price at the moment. The Denon is definitely a heavier sound that is coloured vs the more neutral original Sine closed headphone. I think I'd consider the Mr. Speaker AEON Flow as one of the higher level portable headphones on the market. The sound quality is quite balanced and the high's are pleasant and does not trigger my tinnitus. No shrill but the overall soundstage is great still provide some airy feeling but the HE560 is much better.

When I listen to closed headphones I just accept and understand what I'm putting on my ears. Throwing on a pair of open headphones is still worlds apart from closed as far as sound stage is concerned.

What has surprised me in how some very expensive headphones have underwhelmed me while other cheaper headphones appeal to my wallet and my ears at the same time. This is also not a justification of spending less.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #18,170 of 21,173

I have both the Aeon and two sets of 560s (early version with SMC and the new model). Over the last 4 to 6 weeks, the Aeon has gotten far more head time than either of those.

The Aeon just does nothing wrong. There is no area where I feel that it is lacking. In fact, I have been listening to the Aeon far more than any of the other 20+ sets of phones that own.

They are closed, but Dan has done some magic in the tuning. They actually throw a pretty darn good sound field. As to bass, there have been people that commented that they are bass light. They are closer to bass neutral to me. Some complain about lack of mid-bass. Likely due to looking at the FR graphs. In listening I don't find this to be a problem, at all. For instance male voices sound completely natural with the Aeon. When the program material has bass content, the Aeon produces it very accurately and with good authority. It also extends well. Organ music and jazz with an upright bass show how clean and deep the Aeon can go. Is it a bass head headphone, absolutely not. I do think it does bass as well as the 560, though with it's own character.

Obviously, the Aeon do not replace my 560s, but in listening to them I do not miss anything strongly enough that I feel the need to change to the 560. If anyone is looking for a good set of closed headphones, or just a general all around good set of 'phones, at a price that, while high (for my budget) is not nearly as exorbitant as many recent releases, I would recommend trying the Aeon out.

I am continuing to look for reviews on the new Aeon Flow Open version. If it keeps the general signature of the Aeon but adds a little "air", they will rise to the top of my "what to get next" list.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #18,171 of 21,173
I have both the Aeon and two sets of 560s (early version with SMC and the new model). Over the last 4 to 6 weeks, the Aeon has gotten far more head time than either of those.

The Aeon just does nothing wrong. There is no area where I feel that it is lacking. In fact, I have been listening to the Aeon far more than any of the other 20+ sets of phones that own.

They are closed, but Dan has done some magic in the tuning. They actually throw a pretty darn good sound field. As to bass, there have been people that commented that they are bass light. They are closer to bass neutral to me. Some complain about lack of mid-bass. Likely due to looking at the FR graphs. In listening I don't find this to be a problem, at all. For instance male voices sound completely natural with the Aeon. When the program material has bass content, the Aeon produces it very accurately and with good authority. It also extends well. Organ music and jazz with an upright bass show how clean and deep the Aeon can go. Is it a bass head headphone, absolutely not. I do think it does bass as well as the 560, though with it's own character.

Obviously, the Aeon do not replace my 560s, but in listening to them I do not miss anything strongly enough that I feel the need to change to the 560. If anyone is looking for a good set of closed headphones, or just a general all around good set of 'phones, at a price that, while high (for my budget) is not nearly as exorbitant as many recent releases, I would recommend trying the Aeon out.

I am continuing to look for reviews on the new Aeon Flow Open version. If it keeps the general signature of the Aeon but adds a little "air", they will rise to the top of my "what to get next" list.

from what i've read the SQ in the AEON flow "open" is a good jump better. I like the closed version due to not being obnoxious when i'm outdoors on the go. In honestly I think I'm torn because it really sounds like the "open" version is really good for a more natural sound. This is where I find closed headphones physically at a massive disadvantage in that closed head feeling. In Canada it's a 1000 bucks for the AEON flow closed version.

The HE560 just seems to be an affordable HP that just hits the sweet spot in nice open soundstage, clarity and analog sound that is not offensive in the treble department. Deep enough bass for my ears since I'm not a bass head. The music flows with some meat on the bones without a congested heavy sound. I think the he560 does well with all kinds of genre's.

I was listening to Norah jones again when I auditioned the the HE560 and Focal Elear. To my ears the immediate analog sound from the HE560 was notable over the thinner sounding less meaty ELEAR headphones. For the music I listen to the ELEARS really doesn't suite my demands in SQ either with a woo amp or concero hd i was auditioning with......

I think the HE560 is one of the nicest sounding headphones even at a $650 CDN price tag. I guess another topic is if your a bass head or just want nice sub bass type of person.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #18,172 of 21,173
At the current pricing, the 560 has to be considered a very good buy. If you have read my previous posts you will know that it has bee sort of a love/ hate relationship for me and the 560.
Some like the sound, but when talking about the original units, the peakiness and general thin sound drove me crazy. I spent lots of time finding and performing mods, choosing amplification that would calm them down, and trying different cables. I think the new ones are better for my tastes. They seem smoother overall but still keeping the qualities that kept me trying to make the tonality suitable for my use.

Still for general listening, I grab the Aeon these days. They do better over all genres and are more forgiving of mediocre recordings.
Notice though, I am not selling either set of 560s. They do some things better than the Aeon for sure. Sound field and detail retrieval among those. Taken as a package, the Aeon just fits my use case better.
I would use the 560 more for critical listening. I simply do more headphone listening in situations where I am doing other things. For music while programming, or at work where the music become more of a background thing, I use the Aeon. Not saying that the Aeon is bad for critical listening, just that it may lose to the 560 is some of the technical areas.

The old question, if you could only have one set of headphones, which would it be. The answer would be the Aeon. Without question.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #18,173 of 21,173
At the current pricing, the 560 has to be considered a very good buy. If you have read my previous posts you will know that it has bee sort of a love/ hate relationship for me and the 560.
Some like the sound, but when talking about the original units, the peakiness and general thin sound drove me crazy. I spent lots of time finding and performing mods, choosing amplification that would calm them down, and trying different cables. I think the new ones are better for my tastes. They seem smoother overall but still keeping the qualities that kept me trying to make the tonality suitable for my use.

Still for general listening, I grab the Aeon these days. They do better over all genres and are more forgiving of mediocre recordings.
Notice though, I am not selling either set of 560s. They do some things better than the Aeon for sure. Sound field and detail retrieval among those. Taken as a package, the Aeon just fits my use case better.
I would use the 560 more for critical listening. I simply do more headphone listening in situations where I am doing other things. For music while programming, or at work where the music become more of a background thing, I use the Aeon. Not saying that the Aeon is bad for critical listening, just that it may lose to the 560 is some of the technical areas.

The old question, if you could only have one set of headphones, which would it be. The answer would be the Aeon. Without question.
Very interesting to read. I joined the LC-X drop to eventually use it at work to replace my E10K. I'm curious, as you have all three, how would you say the 560 and Aeon each pair with the LC?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #18,175 of 21,173
Anyone know if HE1000v2 is a huge upgrade over 560
From what I've heard (with my own ears) , the HE 1000v2 is an upgrade over the 560, but not a huge upgrade. I would definitely say it is NOT worth the $3000 asking price, considering the build quality is about on par for the 560, and the 560's build quality is barely acceptable for the price point it's currently located at. At 3000, you expect things to be done very well. However, the cable is terrible and the pad quality isn't better than the 560's. The 1000V2 also has something about the sound, I don't know... there is just something off about the tonality. I haven't listened to it enough to pinpoint what it is, but the HD 800 is a much better quality pair of headphones for half the price. Combined with Sennheiser's legendary support, I would stick with more reliable companies in this higher price bracket.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #18,176 of 21,173
Very interesting to read. I joined the LC-X drop to eventually use it at work to replace my E10K. I'm curious, as you have all three, how would you say the 560 and Aeon each pair with the LC?
Well, I have not listened to the Aeon with the LC. I listened to the V1 highly modded set of 560 with it, but not the V2 stock 560s.

I got a Burson CV2+ a couple of months ago. Other than the iDSD Black Label (which I also recently acquired), the Burson is all that I have been listening through.

I need to get my LC V1 out and give it a try one of these days.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #18,177 of 21,173
I'd be curious to hear how it compares to some other stuff!

With some luck I'll be able to audition a pair of Aeon's this weekend. I'll take my 560's with me for a direct comparison, though I don't have any portable sources to take with. I'm in no rush to get my hands on a new set of closed cans, as I still enjoy my dt770's. However, I do most music listening at work, so it will be nice to have comparable setups at home and work. Currently I spend most of the day wishing it sounded as good as it does at home :)

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #18,178 of 21,173
Anyone know if HE1000v2 is a huge upgrade over 560

Someone posted about construction quality and price point. I can't argue this too much except to say that I have not had any problems with my V1 after close to a year. If I was going to judge headphones by appearance primarily, I would have to agree that there are better. When it comes to sound, and I think your question was about the HEK V2 compared to the 560... I consider the HEK (again for what I am looking for in sound) to be a very sizeable upgrade from the 560. Is it worth the cost difference, I can't begin to try to answer that question for anyone besides myself.

I heard the HEK V1 at RMAF a couple of years ago and really liked it. I then had the opportunity to listen to it at length several time during small meets. I really, really loved what I heard. The sound that some call too polite, is just what I like. Smooth and balanced. Lots of low end definition. lots of high end extension, but not at the expense of being hard or sibilant. Macro detail and micro detail is considerably better than with the 560. But maybe the reason I think much of this is because I just really like listening to the HEK. So it is much easier to not think about tonality defects and just get lost in the sound.

I could never justify the $3000, but after V2 was released, I picked up a new open box set for around half price. I am quit happy that I found the deal.

Now...HUGE upgrade? That depends on your perspective. Keeping in mind the laws of diminishing returns per dollar of audio investment I wouldn't expect any HUGE improvements from a $1000 headphone to a $3000 headphone. While I think there is improvement across the board in all of the technicalities, I couldn't go so far as to call them huge. For me the huge upgrade is listen ability, a natural timbre that continues to make me smile when I put them on.

I just like the way the HEK sounds much more than the 560.

OH... yes I have had an HD 800 here for a good while. I overall much prefer the HEK.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #18,180 of 21,173
I am considering to get HE 560. For dac amp combo which one works better with this idsd BL or Schiit jotunheim with DAC?
Based on a lot of reading I've done recently to upgrade my dac/amp, the jot came up often as one to avoid for the 560. I haven't heard it, however the general consensus was that the jot is simply too bright for the 560. Also, apparently the jot's dac is serviceable, but not great.

When I got my 560's I had a Topping A30/D30 stack, which despite sounding much improved from my previous cans (M1060/HE400s), didn't get the most out of the 560's. I upgraded to a Modi Multibit first, which sounded much smoother and more detailed than the D30. Finally I got the NFB-1 AMP which was the icing on the cake, as it has more than enough power and a lower output impedance (~10ohms on the A30). Basically the 560's (to me at least) improved with each piece of upstream gear that I upgraded. The Modi Multibit isn't warm, but the treble is fantastically smooth, so cymbals and squealing guitars sound fantastic and the NFB-1 sounds just as currawong says 'just the facts', thus I don't find my 560's fatiguing at all.

I don't recall reading anything negative about pairing the 560's with the idsd BL though. It would be worth auditioning them together if you can. So long as it can power them I'm guessing it'd be a great pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back