= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #18,151 of 21,171
Hi guys. Looking for a little advice. I'm relatively new to the hobby but managed to get a new pair of 560s for an amazing £369 from amazon uk. I'm enjoying them but it's niggling me that I'm probably not getting the best out of what used to be a £659 pm headphone with a rep for being hard to drive. They're powered by a Burson Soloist SL MK2 which I believe gives out 2.5wpc into 16 ohms. This drives my hd600s with ease at 10 o'clock high gain but with the 560s i have to go to about 12 o'clock (5 o'clock is max) high gain for a fun listening level. I don't want to get a new amp but i have been thinking about the easier to drive Elear (for a good deal if one turns up) if i end up selling the 560s. Any thoughts?
I don't see any problem with needing to go to 12 o'clock. As @phthora noted, a lot of amps have channel imbalance on the low end (I've had ones where it happens anywhere below 9 o'clock, but also ones where it happens below 8 o'clock when it's barely audible anyway so would never be used). Most amps don't have any sort of distortion problem until you reach at least 4 o'clock anyway if they're designed well. So on the front of purely powering the HE560, I don't see an issue. Whether you feel it's the appropriate pairing for sound signature, that's a different matter.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #18,153 of 21,171
Some great advice as well as reassurance. No issue as such, just the insecurity of a noob. When i first got them the highs could be a touch screechy on some recordings but putting on the focus A pads seems to have helped there. Cheers guys.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #18,155 of 21,171
I might be a minority, but I didn't like how HE-560 sound with Focus-A pads. Yes it is more linear, but it felt a bit lifeless... After several hours of experimentation I ended up choosing the Ori pads for now. They are not perfect, but I like how they sound and they are extremely comfortable. Once Zach releases thinner version of Ori pads I'll be the first in line to try them out, as I think they would work perfect with 560 (and my Denon 7200 as well).

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #18,156 of 21,171
Some great advice as well as reassurance. No issue as such, just the insecurity of a noob. When i first got them the highs could be a touch screechy on some recordings but putting on the focus A pads seems to have helped there. Cheers guys.

No problem. Don't worry, it wasn't a dumb question. These cans are thinner in the mids and brighter than many other headphones, which is often the sound of a headphone not being driven adequately. However, if you can hear very precise, tight low-end, that will tell you that it's an issue of sound signature, rather than amplification. Bass control is one of the first things to go with inadequate amping.

Good news! Your amp is awesome and you don't need to replace it.

:)

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #18,157 of 21,171
No problem. Don't worry, it wasn't a dumb question. These cans are thinner in the mids and brighter than many other headphones, which is often the sound of a headphone not being driven adequately. However, if you can hear very precise, tight low-end, that will tell you that it's an issue of sound signature, rather than amplification. Bass control is one of the first things to go with inadequate amping.

Good news! Your amp is awesome and you don't need to replace it.

:)
Cheers. Yes the bass is tight, punchy and very deep. This amp/hp combo is fast, detailed and airy.

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #18,158 of 21,171
Cheers. Yes the bass is tight, punchy and very deep. This amp/hp combo is fast, detailed and airy.
I have to say, one thing that I can't get enough of with the 560 is how, despite not having pronounced rumbling bass, it's awesome to feel a lot of sounds. Be it a snare, or toms or even some thick keyboard hits, there's a thud behind them that I hadn't really experienced with dynamic drivers. It's definitely there with the 400S and M1060, but with a nice amp, it's fantastic with the 560.

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #18,159 of 21,171
Hi guys. Looking for a little advice. I'm relatively new to the hobby but managed to get a new pair of 560s for an amazing £369 from amazon uk. I'm enjoying them but it's niggling me that I'm probably not getting the best out of what used to be a £659 pm headphone with a rep for being hard to drive. They're powered by a Burson Soloist SL MK2 which I believe gives out 2.5wpc into 16 ohms. This drives my hd600s with ease at 10 o'clock high gain but with the 560s i have to go to about 12 o'clock (5 o'clock is max) high gain for a fun listening level. I don't want to get a new amp but i have been thinking about the easier to drive Elear (for a good deal if one turns up) if i end up selling the 560s. Any thoughts?
In the world of stereo I come from, both speakers and headphones, 30+ years, this is what I have understood. Most people want the volume knob to be closer to 12:00 or beyond. There are various reasons why, do a search. I would say the way you are using your amp is what most people would want. I would really research the issue before you jump to another amp. JMHO

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #18,160 of 21,171
My take is, if you can get sufficient volume without noticeable distortion (or channel imbalance), it does not matter where the volume pot is on the scale.
I have had portable amps that depending on input levels and with certain headphones, I ran wide open. Never really bothered me if I was getting sufficient SPL and the music was clean.

I still have a couple of them, even 10 years later...:o2smile:

But I do agree, 12 o'clock is probably close to ideal. Not something to be concerned about, much less make getting a new amp a requirement.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #18,161 of 21,171
Today I had moment to chill at my favourite local headphone shop. Did some listening with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-SR9, Focal Elear, Mr. Speaker AEON Flow's, HE560.

At the end of the day they all sound different. I'll have to say price and performance the HE560 are quite nice. Listening to Nora jones new album "Day Breaks" it was a treat to listen to the Hifiman's HP. Natural voice and non of this sibilant complaints I've read on the internet. I'm quite sensitive to shrill so I was quite pleased that so far I've not heard any irritating high's.

Nice enjoyable sound stage that is nice and wide but not in the same category as the HD800.

I picked up a pair and as it's without a doubt a step up from the 400i I own. I've seen some reviews where some people think the 400i is not far off from the HE560. Well I would say the move to the HE560 definitely a different sound signature that is definitely not a lateral move.

I've made life simple and let my daughters use my Hd650 and HE560 for their workstations. Keeping life simple I will just use my modded HD800 and HE560. Perhaps later I'll get more HP but I've just stopped chasing audio nirvana and I'm just using what suites my music genre. I'm quite shocked how the Hifiman HP have this open relaxed natural flow. Certainly there are better out there but HP does not even match remotely to my 2 channel system.

I cannot see many mature listeners disliking the HE560 as long as decent amplification is matched with it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #18,163 of 21,171
Gave my son the first HE560 I had for his high school graduation in 2014 and some of his friends parents had sticker shock when he told them the original $900 price since most of them consider Beats & Bose to be the top headphones at $200-300.

What a cool Dad!!

My 3rd daughter is still a bit too young to be getting a pair of headphones. When in time she'll be getting my HE560's.

In Canada the sticker price is $649 which is remarkable since that headphone in Canada has been selling for $1200 CDN all this time. This is where a lot of this electronic stuff in the US is very cheap if you look at local cost of living and wages. I think my 8 and 11 year old have no idea how fortunate they are when it comes to headphones. What's funny is my young kids know how bad Beats and Bose sound compared to other headphones.

I'm currently done with purchasing open headphones. My next closed headphones will be the Mr. Speaker AEON flow's. My warm Denon MM400 sounds muddy in comparison but I'll have to say SQ is all subjective and I'll admit I do enjoy my MM400 for portable listening. MR. Speaker AEON is on my shortlist but I'll have to say comparing back to back with the HE560 the sound signature was different and both enjoyable.

My HD650 do sound dull and boring in jazz vocals compared to the easy listening HE560. However the type of music and "mood" and a selection of HP I have gives me some sort of selection. I'm just a Headphone listener trying to keep thing simple and decent enough SQ for happiness.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #18,164 of 21,171
I'm currently done with purchasing open headphones. My next closed headphones will be the Mr. Speaker AEON flow's. My warm Denon MM400 sounds muddy in comparison but I'll have to say SQ is all subjective and I'll admit I do enjoy my MM400 for portable listening. MR. Speaker AEON is on my shortlist but I'll have to say comparing back to back with the HE560 the sound signature was different and both enjoyable.
I'm also looking for a portable closed can now that I've got a taste of the good life, and the AEON is at the top of my short list. How would you describe it compared to the 560? I've heard it's bass light, so could you comment on that aspect compared to the 560?

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #18,165 of 21,171
I'm also looking for a portable closed can now that I've got a taste of the good life, and the AEON is at the top of my short list. How would you describe it compared to the 560? I've heard it's bass light, so could you comment on that aspect compared to the 560?

I'm probably not the best to explain at this moment. My decision was already made up to buy the HE560 today. I didn't have that much time today to "absorb" the different characteristics sound from different headphones.

I will have to say the AEON did present somewhat neutral with a slight sense of warmth but I was using my Peachtree shift amp in the store as well as . I would have to say I did perk up since this was my first initial audition of the Mr. speaker AEON flow HP. I wasn't listening to any music genres that had bass to reveal the HP qualities and character. At least the vocals and music seemed nice and rich and not thin sounding. Without a doubt I appreciate this HP more than the audeze sine HP.

If I had to compare the AEON to the HE560 I'd say the Hifiman had a very natural open soundstage with the vocals effortlessly flowing with the music. The Closed HP of the AEON had a smaller sound stage and the vocals just seemed very clean and presented wonderful neutral/clarity but in a more closed environment. If I was sitting at home chilling at my workstation with my feet up I'd definitely choose the HE560 over the AEON. Female vocals on the HE560 had this realism more like an analog chillout session with tubes (more lush but not overly warm). However the AEON flow triggered me to add this mentally to my shortlist.

I will say I did NOT feel the urge to buy the Focal Elear. I preferred the sound signature of the He560 alot more compared to the Elear.

I'll be heading over to the headphone shop to do some more auditioning. I'm really curious how the new Mytek portable headphone amp/dac is going to sound like........ not released yet.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back