= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #18,136 of 21,171
The sound signature between the HE400i and HE560 is not an incremental difference to me, its different enough sound that I keep both of them. I got both at the same time with the intension of sending one back but with the first listen of both they were quite different. Also, I paid $450 for my HE400i and $720 for my HE560 but this was back over 3 years ago when they first came out.

^^This! I'm also keeping both and I honestly find the signature on the two to be quite different, a lot more than what I'd call subtle. As always YMMV...

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #18,137 of 21,171
It's interesting you chose to retain both headphones; not sure why I read the two sound similar all the time. I'm sure you've spent enough time with headphones in general to identify and appreciate subtle differences, which could be an influencing factor and in which case it also makes sense to have both. If I were to make the same decision, I would probably have a HE400i + Elear or Lcd2 (either at offer price) which will give me good a diverse collection (for me).

I've yet to hear the Elear but a friend who has them along with the Utopia, HE560, HE1Kv2, and a few other high end headphones told me that I probably wouldn't like the sound signature of the Elear since even to him its too polite like the HEX and LCD-X which I didn't care for. FWIW I do keep a diverse collection due to the different sound signatures and I don't really consider one better than the other, just different: LCD-2f, HE800, HD700, RS2e, TH-600, EL-8 open, Stax SRD-34, custom Nhoord and Ypsilon driver builds and a few others, and have sold or given away 25+ (SR009, Fidelio X1, TH-X00, Nighthawk, T1gen1, HD600, HD598, Momentum on-ears (4 pinks, 1 green, 1 white, 1 red), ATH-M50s, V-Moda M100, Woody SR225i, Nhoord Red V2, V-Moda XS, SR225i, SennGrado, etc) headphones over the past 5 years.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #18,138 of 21,171
I've yet to hear the Elear but a friend who has them along with the Utopia, HE560, HE1Kv2, and a few other high end headphones told me that I probably wouldn't like the sound signature of the Elear since even to him its too polite like the HEX and LCD-X which I didn't care for. FWIW I do keep a diverse collection due to the different sound signatures and I don't really consider one better than the other, just different: LCD-2f, HE800, HD700, RS2e, TH-600, EL-8 open, Stax SRD-34, custom Nhoord and Ypsilon driver builds and a few others, and have sold or given away 25+ (SR009, Fidelio X1, TH-X00, Nighthawk, T1gen1, HD600, HD598, Momentum on-ears (4 pinks, 1 green, 1 white, 1 red), ATH-M50s, V-Moda M100, Woody SR225i, Nhoord Red V2, V-Moda XS, SR225i, SennGrado, etc) headphones over the past 5 years.
Wow, that's a petty impressive collection of headphones!

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #18,139 of 21,171
DavidA, I bought my 560 after going through your posts in this thread, seeing how passionate you are about this headphone and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Thank you for taking your time out and responding to all queries here (and the 650 discussion thread too)!

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #18,140 of 21,171
DavidA, I bought my 560 after going through your posts in this thread, seeing how passionate you are about this headphone and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Thank you for taking your time out and responding to all queries here (and the 650 discussion thread too)!
Hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed mine for the last 3+ years.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #18,144 of 21,171
still the promotion price $499?
I'm kind of running out of money recently. waiting.....:nerd:
I don't think it's a promotion price, considering how long it's been at that price point. I think the product has been repriced at $499. I bought mine at $400 (from a unauthorized dealer) from walmart, who was clearing his stock. May be hifiman is going to update its product line. Still, it's a pretty good value for $499, if you have a good amp.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #18,145 of 21,171
Still, it's a pretty good value for $499, if you have a good amp.
I can attest to this. I noticed a significant upgrade in sound quality when upgrading from a topping stack (A30/D30) to a Modi Multibit/audio-gd NFB-1Amp.

They sounded great with the topping stuff stack, but there's just do much more detail available from the upgraded system.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #18,146 of 21,171
Got my first 30 minutes with 560 during lunch break.

First impressions:

Pros
- are lighter than they look
- pretty comfortable, except clamp force (that can be adjusted)
- FAST, really fast. Never had planars before, so I was surprised by this ferocious attack (especially on snare drums)
- really good soundstage
- very good resolution (but take last 2 with a grain of salt as I've never tried HD800)

Cons (not really, more like a matter of preference)
- not as linear as I'd like, but nothing major. Will allow couple weeks of burn-in and then do some pad/tube rolling and/or EQing if necessary.
- very (!) power hungry - I usually listen to my 300ohm HD650 around 11 o'clock in low gain mode on my Mjolnir 2 using balanced cable. I had to turn up the volume to 1-2 o'clock for 560 and this is with balanced cable as well (with stock cable I had to go to high gain mode).

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #18,147 of 21,171
Had a good long evening of listening yesterday. Ori pads do work well with 560, but the stock pads are quite good as well, just different. I've ordered a set of Focus-A pads to compare further, but for now I'm really torn between Ori pads and stock pads. Ori pads give more space and depth to the sound, but lack a bit of mid bass (strangely enough). Stock pads have more mid bass (maybe a bit more than necessary), and are not as comfortable, but mids are slightly better with them. Ugh, tough choice.

What I did like about 560 is that they sound really good, but different from HD650. As other pointed out some genres of music work just perfect on them, and some I like better in my 650s. Tough choice again, but it's good that I have that choice now 8)

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #18,148 of 21,171
Hi guys. Looking for a little advice. I'm relatively new to the hobby but managed to get a new pair of 560s for an amazing £369 from amazon uk. I'm enjoying them but it's niggling me that I'm probably not getting the best out of what used to be a £659 pm headphone with a rep for being hard to drive. They're powered by a Burson Soloist SL MK2 which I believe gives out 2.5wpc into 16 ohms. This drives my hd600s with ease at 10 o'clock high gain but with the 560s i have to go to about 12 o'clock (5 o'clock is max) high gain for a fun listening level. I don't want to get a new amp but i have been thinking about the easier to drive Elear (for a good deal if one turns up) if i end up selling the 560s. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #18,149 of 21,171
Hi guys. Looking for a little advice. I'm relatively new to the hobby but managed to get a new pair of 560s for an amazing £369 from amazon uk. I'm enjoying them but it's niggling me that I'm probably not getting the best out of what used to be a £659 pm headphone with a rep for being hard to drive. They're powered by a Burson Soloist SL MK2 which I believe gives out 2.5wpc into 16 ohms. This drives my hd600s with ease at 10 o'clock high gain but with the 560s i have to go to about 12 o'clock (5 o'clock is max) high gain for a fun listening level. I don't want to get a new amp but i have been thinking about the easier to drive Elear (for a good deal if one turns up) if i end up selling the 560s. Any thoughts?

12 o'clock sounds about perfect. I mean, less than 9 o'clock and you risk channel imbalance on a lot of amps. Sounds like you still have a lot of headroom, what's the issue?

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #18,150 of 21,171
I have driven my 560 with the MicroZOTL2, 1W amp, is plenty to drive it. I wouldn't drive the 560 out of a phone, but you don't need a Krell speaker amp for it either. It may be more about synergy than power; the Burson (which I haven't heard) just may not be a good match for the 560, it may emphasize some of the parts of the 560 sound you'd rather be compensated for (highs can be a bit rough). System matching is KEY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back