= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #18,181 of 21,171
I am considering to get HE 560. For dac amp combo which one works better with this idsd BL or Schiit jotunheim with DAC?
The HE560 and Jot is not something I would recommend, agree with @thebkt that the pairing is a bit bright when I tried it a few months ago. I haven't heard the idsd BL so I don't know how it would sound with the HE560. I really liked the Hugo/Hugo2 with the HE560 but its in a different price range. Another DAC/amp combo that I liked was the Teac UD-503 but its almost double the price of the Jot+DAC

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #18,182 of 21,171
The HE560 and Jot is not something I would recommend, agree with @thebkt that the pairing is a bit bright when I tried it a few months ago. I haven't heard the idsd BL so I don't know how it would sound with the HE560. I really liked the Hugo/Hugo2 with the HE560 but its in a different price range. Another DAC/amp combo that I liked was the Teac UD-503 but its almost double the price of the Jot+DAC
The TEAC AI-301 is also a good choice in my book if one doesn't quite need the higher specs of the TEAC-503. The warm tilt is a help to the HE560s sound signature, which while mostly balanced, can get sharp on the high end at times.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #18,183 of 21,171
The TEAC AI-301 is also a good choice in my book if one doesn't quite need the higher specs of the TEAC-503. The warm tilt is a help to the HE560s sound signature, which while mostly balanced, can get sharp on the high end at times.
Good call since I like the headphone output of my UD301 with the HE560 but since I listen at a relatively low level its not a problem but for someone who likes to listen at 80-90dB then the UD301 and your AI301 will start to struggle since the HE560 is not efficient enough.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #18,184 of 21,171
Good call since I like the headphone output of my UD301 with the HE560 but since I listen at a relatively low level its not a problem but for someone who likes to listen at 80-90dB then the UD301 and your AI301 will start to struggle since the HE560 is not efficient enough.
Yup. Although I feel like that might be too loud for healthy listening anyway, in a quiet setting at least. I listen to my HD600s (not the hardest to power, but not the most efficient either) at about 9 o'clock on the pot of my AI-301. I don't have the HE560s anymore, but I imagine if I did, I would probably be listening about 11-12 o'clock comfortably. When I had the HE560s, I think I was using a cheap Topping TP30mk2 (not a remotely powerful amp) and I think I was listening to the HE560s at about 1 o'clock, sometimes 2 o'clock and the HD600 took about 10-11 o'clock on that. Maybe I just listen to stuff quietly :p

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #18,185 of 21,171
Yup. Although I feel like that might be too loud for healthy listening anyway, in a quiet setting at least. I listen to my HD600s (not the hardest to power, but not the most efficient either) at about 9 o'clock on the pot of my AI-301. I don't have the HE560s anymore, but I imagine if I did, I would probably be listening about 11-12 o'clock comfortably. When I had the HE560s, I think I was using a cheap Topping TP30mk2 (not a remotely powerful amp) and I think I was listening to the HE560s at about 1 o'clock, sometimes 2 o'clock and the HD600 took about 10-11 o'clock on that. Maybe I just listen to stuff quietly :p
Agree that 80-90dB is really high to me also but with my UD-301 and HE560 I need to get the volume up to 2-3 o'clock for an average level of 65dB so it pushing the amp section of the UD-301 to its limit while the UD-301 gets by at around 11-12 o'clock IIRC.

I forgot the best reason to get the AI-301, it has a remote :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #18,186 of 21,171
My 560's just arrived! Running them through my Black Label, and they are exactly what I had hoped. More linear and balanced than the 400i, better detail and texture, less mid-bass but better bass extension, and much clearer and smoother treble despite the increased top-end. The separation and imaging are also much better than the 400i too. Really, an improvement in every area I can think of.

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but I am astounded at how much these improve over the 400i. These are already my new favorite headphone.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #18,188 of 21,171
Agree that 80-90dB is really high to me also but with my UD-301 and HE560 I need to get the volume up to 2-3 o'clock for an average level of 65dB so it pushing the amp section of the UD-301 to its limit while the UD-301 gets by at around 11-12 o'clock IIRC.

I forgot the best reason to get the AI-301, it has a remote :ksc75smile:
That remote makes it so easy to be lazy lol.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #18,189 of 21,171
My 560's just arrived! Running them through my Black Label, and they are exactly what I had hoped. More linear and balanced than the 400i, better detail and texture, less mid-bass but better bass extension, and much clearer and smoother treble despite the increased top-end. The separation and imaging are also much better than the 400i too. Really, an improvement in every area I can think of.

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but I am astounded at how much these improve over the 400i. These are already my new favorite headphone.
good stuff! I'm interested to hear how the Black label performs on the run with the 560's. It's a piece of kit I'd consider getting down the line for travel.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #18,190 of 21,171
Hey guys. I got my 560's several weeks and about 20-30 pages ago. I had started tinkering and rolling pads and trying to post my impressions. But my impressions kept changing as I think these phones legitimately have a long break-in period before they really stabilize. I've never really felt strongly about this whole break-in thing with other products, so there you go.

I rolled, like, all the Brainwavz pads, which really added up $$. I also got a balanced cable that Z-Reviews suggested in one of his HiFiMan reviews. That was like $65-70. So, I definitely took these "$500 bargain top end phones" to the point where I sorta wish I just tried some Stax, but it is what it is.

On the phones themselves, I did the shelf liner mod and the putty eraser cup seal. I don't think the putty seal did much, but the shelf liner really does soak up some of the harsh reflections! I ended up doing mine with a much larger center though, as I felt that too much sparkle was taken off the top, especially when trying velour pads. I ended up tracing out my center hole with an axle nut socket, I think it was my 32mm. much larger than a penny, or whatever was used in the write up on the first page. I would start pad rolling first because that makes a bigger difference.

For pads, I started out with Brainwavz flat hybrid pads I had on my HE-5LE. Possibly the most comfortable and have better bass, wider sound stage, more lively, better tone etc. Than stock. The sound stage isn't as coherent as angled pads though. Next, I tried the popular angled velour pads and they're very smooth with the best mid bass of the bunch. If you're really sensitive to highs, try velour first! To test, start with the basic $10 HiFiMan velours, which you'll buy a set of anyway to steal the mounting rings out of. If you like the stock velour character, then get Brainwavz velour as they are much better. Again, give these time to break in before tinkering around. You'll go nuts trying to pin down what you like best!

Finally, I've settled on the Brainwavz angled hybrid pads. For me, they have the best of a slightly wider sound stage than stock, that still maintains coherency and keeps vocals out in front. Low bass is at least on par with the other thicker pads. All of them have better bass than stock. The leather (or whatever it is) interior maintains more energy and detail through the upper mids and highs. I'm comfortable with that, given the extra damping from the bit of shelf liner.

I did try the stock pads again a while back, when I was sure the phones had stopped changing. They're just too thin for these drivers! No bass, thin sound, poor tone. They're just awful. Anyway, I feel that the significantly thicker, Brainwavz hybrid angled pads best convey the intent of the phones' original tuning for the stock pads... But do it correctly and with higher comfort. Oh, speaking of, they were very tight at first because they're so thick in back. Now the pads have broken in for a couple weeks, the phones are FINALLY starting to disappear on my head. I was having a lot of trouble with comfort compair to my 5-LEs. I'm not a fan of the new headband either. I did notice that I had to manually swivel the cups in at the front a little, too accommodate these pads' steep angle.

Compairing to my 5-LE, I'm frustrated that the 560 doesn't have the same power and presence in the low bass. I really love the 5-LE's low bass and I definitely miss it with these! The 5-LE headband has smooth adjustment and fits me better. The 5-LEs work better with the flat hybrid pads that are probably my favorite of the bunch for raw comfort. Though I'm getting to be quite satisfied again as everything is breaking in finally.

From a couple hundred hz and up, the 560s are probably better in every other wsy, save for instrument separation. They're simultaneously higher resolution, while a little more smeared across the sound stage, if that makes any sense at all. Picture a game with no anti-aliasing vs slightly higher resolution but with a cheap AA technique that blurs things a little. It's not bad though. And vocals come through clearer and more to the front, which was my only real gripe with the 5-LE's sound.

If anyone around Western Mass wants to try my 560 and/or has them and wants to root through my stack of pads, PM me. Maybe I'll see it in my e-mail. I'm not too active these days.

I almost forgot. I also made new grills. I should try to get pictures later. I got some aluminum mesh, cut out the circles and pressed them flat with the hydraulic press at work, so they would mount under the plastic rings. I spray painted them a metallic bronze color to kind of go with the wood trim and try to give a warmer sound. Then I used an Elmer's glue stick and stuck some plain black fabric to the back. They turned out quite well.

Ultimately, I decided they only added to the very top of the range and liked the stock grills better. Stock is slightly more balanced, so the lows come up a little and that's my problem spot with the 560 anyway. Plus, stock definitely has better protection.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #18,192 of 21,171
Ordered a pair based on the relatively positive classical music experience I had with the 400i. However, I did find the 400i to be both sibilant and somewhat dull. I'm hoping the he560 is better in both departments. Anybody care to comment?
I’m listening to my set of 560s as I type. They sound great. They keep up with all my other headphones which include the he-500,he-6,he-1kv2 , Semnheiser 800s, Audeze LCD-3 and lcd-4.
Each headphone has there one sound signature. I don’t keep headphones that give me listening fatigue and the HE-560s pass this test to my ear. They have the resolution, bass and clarity that I insist upon. These were my first high quality headphone and I sold them to get a set of lcd-3 a few years ago. I missed their sound after some time had passed and repurchased a pair. They sound every bit as good as I remembered them. I like them best with the Focus-A pads but that’s me. They come with Focus pads. With a price of 499 now, they are simply a steal!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #18,193 of 21,171
Ordered a pair based on the relatively positive classical music experience I had with the 400i. However, I did find the 400i to be both sibilant and somewhat dull. I'm hoping the he560 is better in both departments. Anybody care to comment?

Without a doubt the HE560 is a different headphone compared to the HE400i.

As a Canadian paying about 600 CDN bucks for this headphone I'd say it's an incredible performer. The sound stage is open with less congestion compared to the 400i. The clarity is almost more like a fresh breath of air that has less haze than the 400i. Bass is better than the 400i but it's not gonna satisfy the bass head lover. I do not find the high frequency to be offensive as I have some tinnitus in my right ear and it does not get "mad" when I listen to the HE560. My modified HD800 is now tamed in the high frequency spike but the HE560 to my ears sounds more meaty like it has some tubey harmonic love.

I'm not a hardcore headphone guy but my Burson conductor virtuoso or even 02 amp sounds very good.

I will say that I'd listen to my 400i over my HD650. There is more energy in music with the 400i. The 560 is definitely a noticeable step up and is without a doubt NOT a lateral move.

Sure there are a tonne of headphones on the market. For the current price of the HE560i I'd take this cheaper headphone over the sound signature of the AKG k812 that was much more expensive. To my ears I did not care for the Focal Elear at all and would take the HE560 over that headphone and this is not based on $$$$ either. Even the Mr.Speaker AEON closed headphone is not as musical as the HE560 to my ears.

Please do not trust my ears. Trust your ears and you will assess your own conclusion.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #18,194 of 21,171
I like them best with the Focus-A pads but that’s me. They come with Focus pads.

Same pads as the he400i v2? I wish they were a tad roomier.

I'd listen to my 400i over my HD650.

With instrumental music, yes, I totally agree with you, but I much rather listen to vocals on the 650 since sibilance is totally absent from them.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #18,195 of 21,171

IMO the treble has a slightly brittle quality which is noticable with classical, but I don't find it particularly sibilant or dull... guess dull is really a matter of taste though. Some of the mods people have done supposedly help with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back