= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #17,015 of 21,171
@raybone0566
 Any sound impressions? I'm thinking about putting ZMF pads on my 400i (not the 560, but I've heard both) since I've had a pretty positive experience with them on my modded T50RPs.
Bass improved very slightly, much more comfortable though

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #17,016 of 21,171
Alright, so I received the earpad rings today which let me give the Brainwavz Hybrid pads (non-angled) a shot. Long story short: I like them better than the focus pads, however I won't be keeping them. (wait, wha?)

First off, they are much softer and more comfortable to me. Not that the Focus pads are uncomfortable, these just feel better (especially for glasses-wearers like myself). 

By and large, I find the sound of the Hybrid pads to be an improvement over Focus for a few reasons:
1. The +/- 4kHz upper mid/lower treble spike is tamed considerably, resulting in a smoother and more balanced midrange
2. There's a bit more upper treble "air" which I find the stock HE560 to be slightly lacking in
3. Mid-bass and lower mids get a bit of a bump, resulting in a warmer and fuller sound, sub-bass remains the same

So why won't I be keeping them? I found the mids to be tamed to a degree that I found the overall signature a bit boring, the opposite extreme of how they sound in stock form. Secondly, and most importantly, there are numerous measurements out there of the HE560 with FocusPads, which can serve as a guide for owners (such as myself) to accurately EQ as we wish. Seeing as how I lack measurement equipment, and no measurements exist to my knowledge of the Hybrid pads on a HE560, I would be able to EQ to some degree but without the same level of accuracy. So even though I prefer the Hybrid pads to FocusPads sans EQ, my ability to dial in EQ on the focus pads makes them the winner for me. 

Hope someone finds this helpful 
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #17,017 of 21,171
Alright, so I received the earpad rings today which let me give the Brainwavz Hybrid pads (non-angled) a shot. Long story short: I like them better than the focus pads, however I won't be keeping them. (wait, wha?)

First off, they are much softer and more comfortable to me. Not that the Focus pads are uncomfortable, these just feel better (especially for glasses-wearers like myself). 

By and large, I find the sound of the Hybrid pads to be an improvement over Focus for a few reasons:
1. The +/- 4kHz upper mid/lower treble spike is tamed considerably, resulting in a smoother and more balanced midrange
2. There's a bit more upper treble "air" which I find the stock HE560 to be slightly lacking in
3. Mid-bass and lower mids get a bit of a bump, resulting in a warmer and fuller sound, sub-bass remains the same

So why won't I be keeping them? I found the mids to be tamed to a degree that I found the overall signature a bit boring, the opposite extreme of how they sound in stock form. Secondly, and most importantly, there are numerous measurements out there of the HE560 with FocusPads, which can serve as a guide for owners (such as myself) to accurately EQ as we wish. Seeing as how I lack measurement equipment, and no measurements exist to my knowledge of the Hybrid pads on a HE560, I would be able to EQ to some degree but without the same level of accuracy. So even though I prefer the Hybrid pads to FocusPads sans EQ, my ability to dial in EQ on the focus pads makes them the winner for me. 

Hope someone finds this helpful :beerchug:  
Try the he-6 James. Won't be cheap though

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #17,019 of 21,171
hifiman should make high quality genuine leather ear pads for us lovely head-fiersssssss....

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #17,021 of 21,171
Is he560 significantly clearer than he400i? How about the midrange, I don't like v shaped sound,

I believe a number of posters have answered a similar question that you asked a few days ago that HE-560 is clearer, has good mid range and is not V shaped and also noted that they need to be properly driven and that your Mojo might not be ideal.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #17,022 of 21,171
I wouldn't say significantly clearer but I would say better tuned with improved imaging, soundstage, deeper bass and airy highs.

The he400i is a dry sound and from what I remember has a more significant mids (read mid centric)
Is he560 significantly clearer than he400i? How about the midrange, I don't like v shaped sound,

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #17,023 of 21,171
I've been told by @drbluenewmexico that the 400i lacks the bit of sharpness in the high end of the 560, is smoother (though I have found improved amping ameliorates the rough highs some).

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #17,024 of 21,171
Does the HE560 have a similar sound signature to the RE-600 bass wise? By that I mean does the HE560 have that addicting crisp bass that you can hear with the RE-600?

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #17,025 of 21,171
  Does the HE560 have a similar sound signature to the RE-600 bass wise? By that I mean does the HE560 have that addicting crisp bass that you can hear with the RE-600?

I have both and find the two to be quite similar though I like the bass response even better on the 560. Only difference is the 560 has a bit higher treble response than the 600 but both have even mids and quick, solid bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back