= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,547 of 21,175
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #1,548 of 21,175
The whole. FR seems to be very balanced! From 20hz - 15khz everything stays within 5-6db, very impressive!
Really looks like a dynamic sounding headphone with great even extension on both ends.

Could be their most balanced planar yet?

Thanks for the graph Jerg :beerchug:

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #1,549 of 21,175
  By the way, here's what my more refined subjective perception of the HE560 FR is, superimposed over an actual FR measurement by ultrabike of Jergpad modded HE500s

Anyone who is even remotely familiar with reading frequency response plots should be able to imagine the sound signature. Really the main points of interest are the <50 Hz region, the 2kHz region, 4-6kHz region, 10kHz, and ~12kHz region.

Keep in mind ofc this is still purely subjective and by-ear (with some tone-sweep testing and comparisons), it's how it sounds to my ears, and the ups and downs are qualitative rather than quantitative.

Looks very balanced. Is this slight subbass roll-off still apparent with the baffle mod? This 5dB difference between 100hz and 20hz looks sad, I hoped they will have a flat bass response, like older models.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,550 of 21,175
I like a bit of bass emphasis in headphones, around 3dB. Headphone bass needs a little boost to sound subjectively neutral to me.
On speakers it's the other way around, you know you're going to get room peaks and decreasing the bass a little usually helps.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,551 of 21,175
Looks very balanced. Is this slight subbass roll-off still apparent with the baffle mod? This 5dB difference between 100hz and 20hz looks sad, I hoped they will have a flat bass response, like older models.

Well in the first post, Jerg compared the bass response of the 560 to both the 500/400.
His sentiments make everything seem fine :wink:
It's probably not very perceptible but I am sure he'll chime in

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #1,552 of 21,175
I guess the bottom line is that you simply have to hear them and judge for yourself.  Yes the graphs can be useful but nobody listens to a FQ-response plot.  EG for the HE-500 many people complain about a 'hole' in the 2-3 kHz range.  But a gradual reduction there is actually desired as the ear is more sensitive in this range, look at some isophone curves.  For instance, the 'dip' around 2.4 kHz corresponds just about with a 7C piano note.  If anything sounds 'off'  to me with the 500 it's not the tonality but rather the lack of transparency and attack vs what the HE-6 brings for instance.  Just my 2c, everyone's entitled to their opinion but my point is there's too many factors involved to conclusively say very much based on a graph, you have to hear 'm, simple as that.

It's a bit like the old school photographers who used to take meter readings from a neutral grey card and then take pics based on that metering...it's a starting point but unless you want to take pictures of grey cards and have them perfectly exposed it's not the last word.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #1,553 of 21,175
April 29 is coming to an end here in Asia and still no updates from customer service in China! Crossing my fingers for tomorrow being the day that they'll ship the HE-560s out...

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,555 of 21,175
the wait's pretty rough with no new impressions and radio silence on Hifimans team.

I hope they didn't run into production issues. any new tweaks or fixes would be interesting since they already sent jerg a "production" model.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,556 of 21,175
It would not be in their best interest to go silent if there were problems. It's always best to keep the people (your customers) informed. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,557 of 21,175
I think as long as we know the reasons, we can reasonably sympathize and understand the possible delays.
When we know nothing, however, we can only assume the worst ;P

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,558 of 21,175
I think as long as we know the reasons, we can reasonably sympathize and understand the possible delays.
When we know nothing, however, we can only assume the worst ;P

Probably be a couple of weeks after the reviewers get their pair, unless the reviewers find something else that needs modding!

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,559 of 21,175
Nah, I think they'll ship them to everyone at the same time
time.
The reviewers are getting the retail units after all so no reason not to.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,560 of 21,175
For some reason nobody mention about the non-circular stitching between the velour and the pleather.

In many of the photos taken by those who got the test sample (especially Edwood one), I noticed that the stitching is just unacceptable for a 900$ headphone.

May be that's why they delay the shipping (just speculation xD)...

And btw, hi head-fiers, this is my first post here, even though I spent lots of times reading this site. (Can't believe I read that STX thread for 3 times... Lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back