= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,576 of 21,179
  By the way, here's what my more refined subjective perception of the HE560 FR is, superimposed over an actual FR measurement by ultrabike of Jergpad modded HE500s

Anyone who is even remotely familiar with reading frequency response plots should be able to imagine the sound signature. Really the main points of interest are the <50 Hz region, the 2kHz region, 4-6kHz region, 10kHz, and ~12kHz region.

Keep in mind ofc this is still purely subjective and by-ear (with some tone-sweep testing and comparisons), it's how it sounds to my ears, and the ups and downs are qualitative rather than quantitative.

Is that post-mod HE-560?

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,580 of 21,179
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,584 of 21,179
I think 30 days from time of pre-order is a fair wait. When was pre-order?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread-pre-orders-up/1275#post_10458293

Officially announced 15 days ago, but the preorder page was up since April 10 I think, so 19 days.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,585 of 21,179
  What mod?

I think what tigon_ridge and the others meant was the baffle mod that you told that you did to yours, and presented the idea to Dr. Fang.
Were the subjective perceived frequency response graphs on the HE560 that you posted, before or after you did the baffle mod?
Thanks.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,587 of 21,179
  I think what tigon_ridge and the others meant was the baffle mod that you told that you did to yours, and presented the idea to Dr. Fang.
Were the subjective perceived frequency response graphs on the HE560 that you posted, before or after you did the baffle mod?
Thanks.
wink.gif

Well this is a test unit with the baffle mod officially implemented, so it's a baffle-"fixed" version, no longer a mod. All production units will have this fix too.

The rise below 50 Hz with the HE500 plot is due to the jergpad mod, regular HE500 sub-bass is linear with a roll-off at the end. HE560's subbass is a lot tighter and lower in harmonic distortion, and as such even if it is linear (it very much could be), the perceived volume is less. Don't dwell too much on my MSpaint FR.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,588 of 21,179
So do these lines from the review still apply?

"(updated Apr. 10, 2014) HE560's bass is as extended as HE500, as punchy/impactful as HE400, and is tighter and more articulate than both the predecessors."
"(updated Apr. 10, 2014) Bass is extremely tight and extended, with excellent physicality and tactility to it. One of the few headphones that give me physical sensation of bass without being "one-note-y". "

Because all I can really read out of this is praise, praise and praise for the bass!
Doesn't seem like there is any perceived roll-off that'd impact the ability to render bass down to the deepest notes all-round?

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,589 of 21,179
  So do these lines from the review still apply?

"(updated Apr. 10, 2014) HE560's bass is as extended as HE500, as punchy/impactful as HE400, and is tighter and more articulate than both the predecessors."
"(updated Apr. 10, 2014) Bass is extremely tight and extended, with excellent physicality and tactility to it. One of the few headphones that give me physical sensation of bass without being "one-note-y". "

Because all I can really read out of this is praise, praise and praise for the bass!
Doesn't seem like there is any perceived roll-off that'd impact the ability to render bass down to the deepest notes all-round?

Why wouldn't they apply? I think you guys are misinterpreting what I drew for an early roll-off, because that's not. HE560's low frequency behaviour extends as far as HE500 but with much higher control and lower distortion. Extension =/= tilt.

And again, the tilt is what I perceive, which is not accounting for THD, so it could very well end up measuring completely linear, but less in volume in the <50 region because there is less harmonic distortion adding to the volume.

Maybe I'm overestimating everyones' measurement interpretation skills 
blink.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,590 of 21,179
Here's a cartoon exaggerated representation of what I mean about the perceived low bass behaviour

So which one extends better? Or are they more or less equivalent (just different in extension quality)? You guys decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back