= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 5, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #15,466 of 21,179
  Thanks for the feedback, Chord Mojo seems the way to go.

Just need to find a suiting Hifi-Store to audition them. I think my modded STX 2 produces good sound, but the search for the slightly better sounds seems to never end :) .
Anyone having a Chord Mojo and Burson V5 OpAmps to compare them to?

Unfortunately not. I'm extremely happy with my Bimby+H10 Setup. I think I'm going to buy the new batch V5 Opamps from Burson, as soon as they are available.

--

I don't quite understand what Pre-Gain is on my H10? Do I need to enable that and which switch?

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #15,467 of 21,179
Unfortunately not. I'm extremely happy with my Bimby+H10 Setup. I think I'm going to buy the new batch V5 Opamps from Burson, as soon as they are available.

--

I don't quite understand what Pre-Gain is on my H10? Do I need to enable that and which switch?

V5s will blow your mind. Stock op amps are way too energetic at upper mid-treble with focus pads.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #15,468 of 21,179

It doesn't look like the Mojo has a proper line-out though.

I have the Mojo using as a desktop setup with my 560's and am quite happy,  You can use the Mojo as line out if you choose to run another amp but I've never seen the need.  The Mojo forum here at Head-Fi is extremely active.  You can do a search and get an answer to just about any question you might have there.

I also have a question: has anyone here tried the Venus audio cable with the 560's?  They have a 3' on on eBay for quite a reasonable price.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #15,469 of 21,179
I also have a question: has anyone here tried the Venus audio cable with the 560's?  They have a 3' on on eBay for quite a reasonable price.

Yes, I have it. It's much better over stock. Drapes nicely and is well constructed. Nothing too fancy. He uses Cardas. Worth the $60 if you're on a budget.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #15,470 of 21,179
Thanks I've ordered one. Appreciate the quick feedback.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #15,471 of 21,179
go_quote.gif

About to do the same here, thanks for feedback and taking the money out of my pocket lol

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #15,472 of 21,179
  ^^ Yep, those are good points, but I don't think the differences are that enormous. The 400i also has a more intimate soundstage which will certainly be a factor for many people. I really like the 400i, but yes, the 560 is better without a doubt. I'm not sure I would say in a whole other class better, certainly better, and different, but you get into subjective here as some will feel the 400i suits their music better. Regardless, if money isn't an issue, get the 560, or keep it, if money is an issue, the 400i is excellent.

There are some posts comparing 560 and 400i soundstage size, but I don't know if those are the newer version 400i.  Obviously the old 400i is more intimate.  Anyone heard the 560 and newer 400i that can give a soundstage size comparison?  

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #15,473 of 21,179
  What is the best PC -> DAC/AMP setup for the HE 560?

I am currently using a heavily modded Asus STX 2 (3x Burson V5 coupled with 3 SLIMIC II together with the MKP mod).

My HE 560 is completely modded after Jergs template and I am very very happy about of how they sound.
I picked the non modded HE 560 over the HD 800, HD 700, K812 and Audeze LCD2.2, but that is a whole different story :) .

I don't know if it's the best, but I can tell you what I've tried in the last year. 

Chord Hugo driving the 560 directly. Outstanding sound quality, but maybe not enough power to play them at their best, so I built another Bottlehead SEX amp. 

With the Bottlehead amp I got a nice increase in bass & dynamic power and a little better soundstage. 
Thinking I wanted a desktop DAC instead, I swapped out the Hugo for a PS Audio NuWave DSD. Not a ton of difference in sound between those 2 DAC's, but I gained balanced outputs and didn't have to keep charging it. 

Later on I wanted to try something different, so I gave the MicroZotl a shot. Nice sounding, but less power than the Bottlehead and there were several quality issues. Ended up returning it. 

I really wanted to hear the 560 with a lot of power, so I next tried a Violectric V200. Nice amp, almost a keeper until I swapped back to the Bottlehead and realized I lost a lot of soundstage width with the V200. There is supposed to be a balanced V280 out in a couple months that should do better in the soundstage department. I'd keep that one on the audition list.  

Most recently I found a used Auralic Taurus MK II. This might be where I stop.
Incredible detail and soundstage with tons of power. Just waiting on my balanced cables to be delivered, but it sounds amazing with single ended already. Expensive, but worth it. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #15,474 of 21,179
There are some posts comparing 560 and 400i soundstage size, but I don't know if those are the newer version 400i.  Obviously the old 400i is more intimate.  Anyone heard the 560 and newer 400i that can give a soundstage size comparison?  

I have. The 560 soundstage is a bit bigger, but more expansive and airy in sound. Also, the 560 sounds more 3d,with layers of depth that I did not hear with the revised 400i. Bass on the 560 is much better, but the 560 mids are dryer than the 400i.

I can see why some people actually prefer the 400i over the 560 for their musical preferences. However, I do not think they are in the same league. The 400i sounds amazing for its price, but the 560 is sublime for its price. The 560 is clearly in another category imo. Any effort to argue otherwise I don't think is being fair to what the 560 brings to the table for $900.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #15,477 of 21,179
  I also auditioned the 400i and and agree with bavinck.

What helped me with the mids was jergs fuzor mod.

Might want to recheck the shelf liner you're using with what Jerg recommends, I believe he said this liner did not yield as good of a result as the other variant he used.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #15,479 of 21,179
Could you guys please quickly send me the link to the Audioquest cable you ordered?

It is a Venus cable not Audioquest.  Just search Ebay for Venus cable on Ebay if you are interested.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #15,480 of 21,179

About to do the same here, thanks for feedback and taking the money out of my pocket lol

No prob. Note the 2.5mm connectors may be different than shown in his listing. This is what he's using now. Not perfectly flush like stock but better than what he used before and way better build quality than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back