HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #7,291 of 20,374
Yeah, some guy at another thread listened to the HE-500 with the iCan at 1-2 o'clock, I'd never be able to go past 10 for enjoyable listening, 9 o'clock being prefered.. 2 o'clock is like louder than laptop speakers. I didn't dare go louder than 1 o'clock for the sake of amp and headphone health.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #7,292 of 20,374
Quote:
Yeah, some guy at another thread listened to the HE-500 with the iCan at 1-2 o'clock, I'd never be able to go past 10 for enjoyable listening, 9 o'clock being prefered.. 2 o'clock is like louder than laptop speakers. I didn't dare go louder than 1 o'clock for the sake of amp and headphone health.

I'd be more worried about my ears than the headphone. The HE-500 can take A LOT of juice. I don't have desktop speakers, so when I need to take the headphones off I actually turn the volume up on my Lyr loud enough that I can hear the sound while they are sitting on my desk. HE-500 takes it just fine. I don't dare try it, but I'm pretty sure I could crank it up all the way and it wouldn't damage the headphones. Planar magnetic headphones don't have any foam surrounds or anything like that to damage on the driver. As long as you aren't melting the wires, it should be fine. Can't say the same for your ears though.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #7,294 of 20,374
Quote:
The traces will lift off the wafer by melting a hole in the material. It happens.......
wink.gif

Like I said, as long as you aren't melting things you should be fine 
beyersmile.png

There are people plugging their HE-500 into 150W speaker amps. That I would be worried about.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #7,295 of 20,374
Like I said, as long as you aren't melting things you should be fine 
beyersmile.png

There are people plugging their HE-500 into 150W speaker amps. That I would be worried about.

Yep there are..and one is poor me! And nope..no problems with phone...it doesnt even shiver at that kind of power...only my head hurts after 3 hours..even with normal listening levels..still dont know why..with my evil 337 i never ever had headaches..no matter how evil high i turned it up :D
Must be something with the more agressive brighter soundsignature i guess.. :xf_eek:

cant wait to get my new amp in my greedy hands.. :D

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #7,296 of 20,374
Quote:
Yep there are..and one is poor me! And nope..no problems with phone...it doesnt even shiver at that kind of power...only my head hurts after 3 hours..even with normal listening levels..still dont know why..with my evil 337 i never ever had headaches..no matter how evil high i turned it up
biggrin.gif

Must be something with the more agressive brighter soundsignature i guess..
redface.gif

cant wait to get my new amp in my greedy hands..
biggrin.gif

...which is actually going to be the Emotiva secretly stuffed inside 
tongue.gif
 NEVER. FORGET.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #7,297 of 20,374
I've liked my Decware Zenhead with the HE500's and HD800's it's not perfect but for a portable does a decent job (as compared to my E11, cMoyBB, and PA2v2).

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7,298 of 20,374
Quote:
Yep there are..and one is poor me! And nope..no problems with phone...it doesnt even shiver at that kind of power...only my head hurts after 3 hours..even with normal listening levels..still dont know why..with my evil 337 i never ever had headaches..no matter how evil high i turned it up
biggrin.gif

Must be something with the more agressive brighter soundsignature i guess..
redface.gif

cant wait to get my new amp in my greedy hands..
biggrin.gif

Is there a post from you in this thread that doesn't have ...337... in it?  You must be missing it badly. 
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,299 of 20,374
Quote:

...which is actually going to be the Emotiva secretly stuffed inside 
tongue.gif
 NEVER. FORGET.

Who knows?  It could be true.
For me, on the other hand, Decware would never be able to stuff the Emotiva into my incoming taboo.  "on the bench" baby, it will be soon.
If this $2k amp won't beat my Emotiva by much, I'll be pissed and will crown the Mini-X king of the ghetto hill.  
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #7,301 of 20,374
listening to HE-500 right now, glad i haven't sold these. they just keep sounding better and better, mostly after my DAC upgrade, so smooth, and so transparent. i like them as much as LCD-3!

i really might just end up buying the HE-6 soon (+ another norse cable as soon as trevor opens up again), if they sound anything like these or the HE-5LE

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #7,302 of 20,374
So I've had my 500's for a while now and have to say I am extremely happy with them. I drive them with A Bellari  HA540 amp with a jj tube. Main source is a ReQuest server playing flac files. I have had several low to mid level headphones over the years, these are my first higher end cans. I have been listening to two channel recordings for over 40 years now and this setup is breathing new life into some old favorites and some new ones as well. I like the tonal accuracy from top to bottom. No bloated, over accentuated bass or edgy mids or highs. Just what the recording engineer intended.   

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #7,303 of 20,374
Quote:
listening to HE-500 right now, glad i haven't sold these. they just keep sounding better and better, mostly after my DAC upgrade, so smooth, and so transparent. i like them as much as LCD-3!

i really might just end up buying the HE-6 soon (+ another norse cable as soon as trevor opens up again), if they sound anything like these or the HE-5LE

Yeh I definitely want to try the HE-6 soon. Seems like a logical upgrade. Btw check your signature: "Audeze..."

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #7,304 of 20,374
Quote:

Yeh I definitely want to try the HE-6 soon. Seems like a logical upgrade. Btw check your signature: "Audeze..."

yes 
tongue_smile.gif

also the he-500 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back