HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #7,321 of 20,374
Quote:
Who here wears spectacles?  I have plastic frames and damn they don't half dig into the bit above my ears, both sides become sore very quickly and i'm taking them off and putting them back on, over n over.  Any tips other than change the glasses frame and rotate the cup? 

This might sound funny, but maybe try putting a small piece of soft material that can slide on/off your spectacles when listening.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #7,323 of 20,374
Who here wears spectacles?  I have plastic frames and damn they don't half dig into the bit above my ears, both sides become sore very quickly and i'm taking them off and putting them back on, over n over.  Any tips other than change the glasses frame and rotate the cup? 

I do..but only solution was just taking them off..as the sides made scratches on the sides of my head (titanium hinches).. As i listen to my music with my eyes closed most of the times its no big deal for me... But i can guess it is if u listen to ur music while working and in need of glasses.. Maybe clip-on glasses? I once saw someone with those..he used it as his sunglasses ...they clip on top of ur noose and stay there as long u dont headbang with ur head..no side hinches...it looks a bit nerdy..but..maybe an idea?? :p

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7,325 of 20,374
amperex Bugle boys and orange globe A frames are my favorite 6922 tubes 
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #7,327 of 20,374
I'm glade I got the LYR, the HE500 are really singing now.  IMO, the Magni wasn't cutting it for me with the HE500. I can't wait for my Orange Globe to come in on Thursday.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #7,329 of 20,374
I got my HE-500 for about 2-3 weeks now and I am still ******* amazing by how heavenly my music sounds.  I got used to my old headphones quickly and I wasn't impressed by them after a while but with the HE-500 it's as if I listened to them the first time every time.  And I listen to music a lot...around 10 hours during work days and a minimum of 16 hours on my off days.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7,330 of 20,374
Quote:
I got my HE-500 for about 2-3 weeks now and I am still ******* amazing by how heavenly my music sounds.  I got used to my old headphones quickly and I wasn't impressed by them after a while but with the HE-500 it's as if I listened to them the first time every time.  And I listen to music a lot...around 10 hours during work days and a minimum of 16 hours on my off days.

haha yepp, i totally agree. I've had my HE-500 for two months now, and paired with my Uberfrost and Lyr with 6N1P tubes, that thing sounds beautiful every time I put them on. My HD650 unfortunately hasn't been touched and listened to in a long while... hahaha.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #7,331 of 20,374
Nice to see people enjoying their gear. I still believe the HE-500 is one of the best values you can get in headphones above like... $300, certainly the best value among summit fi, which is probably why I've never seen them on sale.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #7,332 of 20,374
I made what turned out to be a pretty nice hybrid balanced cable for my HiFiMan HE-500 headphones using very high quality Canare L-4E6S Star Quad cable. The details of the build are here: http://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm#HE-500 I say "hybrid" because the cable's star quad wrap and braided shield provide RFI protection to the earcup split, then the conductors are braided in a 4-wire round braid for 3 inches, then the conductor pairs are twisted to the earcup SMC connectors.

I'm finally able to listen to the HE-500s using the Schiit Mjolnir balanced amp and TEAC balanced DAC. Sounds absolutely beautiful. I'll have more listening impressions with a comparison between single ended sound direct from the TEAC DAC's headphone amp and the Mjolnir.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #7,333 of 20,374
HiFiMan put out a reference product with their headphones. They are my favorite headphones and made me get rid of all but the HE-6 and my beloved RS-1s for the portable rig.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,334 of 20,374
Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back