HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #7,276 of 20,386
Quote:
no luck,nobody carries the Intruder here in LOS.....I will ask the guy at Jet Audio,he seems pretty much in the know

good luck :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #7,277 of 20,386
Quote:
I don't think there are may pocket amps that really kick out the juice, mostly because the design brief for a pocket amp has two things in mind - portable headphones (usually efficient closed-backs) and battery life. 
I think one of the more powerful pocket amps is the FiiO Mont Blanc, but I've never auditioned it, and doubt many here would recommend a pocket amp for the HE-500.

Still I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a good idea.

I've used my E12 to drive the HE-500's when I'm travelling and it actually does a pretty decent job. I prefer the E12 over the built in amp in the D100 MkII, plus the bass boost feature is actually pretty decent.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #7,278 of 20,386
That Viablue splitter looks pretty nice 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #7,279 of 20,386
I should mention that any amp/DAC needs to be Android compatible

Check out the upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8.
Balanced output capable,
and in other threads a couple earlier users have tried Android I believe.
Apple IOS users chomping at the bit for 24/96 capabilities.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7,280 of 20,386
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think there are may pocket amps that really kick out the juice, mostly because the design brief for a pocket amp has two things in mind - portable headphones (usually efficient closed-backs) and battery life. 
I think one of the more powerful pocket amps is the FiiO Mont Blanc, but I've never auditioned it, and doubt many here would recommend a pocket amp for the HE-500.

Still I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a good idea.

I've used my E12 to drive the HE-500's when I'm travelling and it actually does a pretty decent job. I prefer the E12 over the built in amp in the D100 MkII, plus the bass boost feature is actually pretty decent.

Only way to know if it works well is to hear it.  
Fortunately we don't hear 'numbers'.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #7,281 of 20,386
My iBasso PB2 drives the HE500s better than my desktop setup before I used the speaker taps from the speaker amps. I'm using the mad dogs now for my portable and they have similar power requirements to the HE500s. I think the PB2s put out a maximum claimed 2.5w but I'm not sure at what impedance

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #7,282 of 20,386
Quote:
Check out the upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8.
Balanced output capable,
and in other threads a couple earlier users have tried Android I believe.
Apple IOS users chomping at the bit for 24/96 capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up Jexby...Jaben Thailand is advertising it on their site as "coming soon"
Any idea on release date?

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #7,283 of 20,386
Quote:
Just curious when you guys listen to music with the HE-500 or any other headphones do you guys have the volume on very high or you don't have the volume high but not too low also?

Its one of the reasons I like the Emotiva amp is that it retains it volume evenly when you lower the volume so you can listen to the headphone at softer levels. I've never experienced more intense tinnitus with the HE-500, I think its sound signature is a little darker than most headphones. I had some issues with that on the Grado RS1i and there I was quite careful with the volume control until I eventually sold them. The guy who bought them from me, cranked my Lehmann Black Cube Linear up to 2 o'clock on the volume and declared that was satisfied with the sound and loudness. I had to stop my jaw from hitting the floor that somebody could listen to headphones at those volumes. I don't think I've ever taken the volume knob past 10 o'clock with the Grados on that particular amp finding it too loud for my taste.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #7,284 of 20,386
The rsa darkstar is strong enough to even drive the he6 i understand.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #7,285 of 20,386
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Jexby...Jaben Thailand is advertising it on their site as "coming soon"
Any idea on release date?

within the USA, I think CEntrance is starting to ship out the "LX" model of HiFi-M8 now/early September.
the USB/iDevice model is being prepped to clear pre-orders in September, into early October.

more info can be gleaned from:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread/
and
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/

looks like an amazing device and early folks reporting some really good audio quality inside!

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #7,286 of 20,386
Just curious when you guys listen to music with the HE-500 or any other headphones do you guys have the volume on very high or you don't have the volume high but not too low also?

FWIW, I try to achieve the lowest level where I satisfied with the detail and its fun as well. I find I get this at the 10:30-11 position of the volume knob

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #7,287 of 20,386
okay,at the risk of exposing my noob-ness...

since I own both an Ipod touch AND a Galaxy S3,the latter being the one Id use the most,would I need 2 different models?And which model is intended for the Droid users...?Ive been reading the threads and some of the tech speak is a bit above my paygrade 

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #7,288 of 20,386
FWIW, I try to achieve the lowest level where I satisfied with the detail and its fun as well. I find I get this at the 10:30-11 position of the volume knob

+1 i agree..on my 337 i used to have the volume around 10ish also to have best listening experience on my he500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back