HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #14,296 of 20,374
Totally oftopic..but found this on facebitch..and laughed my butt off....hehehe but i thoight it would be fun to post it here and share it with u guys
biggrin.gif

I think ifound an answer why some of the people here are always attacking others (for whatever reason) when those say they like and prefer more expensive stuff in their rigs.

.lookie lookie and smile.
wink.gif

Now now Hifi, you're starting to act like an elitist. I didn't expect that from you.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #14,300 of 20,374
Now now Hifi, you're starting to act like an elitist. I didn't expect that from you.
nope....u know me...am all about best performace for the money..i just found this pic funny..thats all..but seeing the reactions surprises me..lolz

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #14,301 of 20,374
Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines

Respect the OP's (original poster's) intentions and try and keep comments on topic. If you feel a strong need to (continue to) discuss a particular, but off-topic subject in a thread, start your own thread and direct post a link in the thread rather than derail that thread. If it's not a discussion worthy for a thread, consider taking it to private messages.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #14,302 of 20,374
Have a chill pill and relax :wink:
Perhaps HE-500 should have a bit of head-time tonight, hasn't gotten much lately...

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #14,303 of 20,374
Have a chill pill and relax
wink.gif

Perhaps HE-500 should have a bit of head-time tonight, hasn't gotten much lately...

Mine found head-time last night and today. Yesterday I just got a new smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and I tried the HE-500's on it, directly into the headphone jack. I expected the sound to be offensive, but it wasn't. I did have to turn up the volume, way up.
Then I plugged the Note 3 into my Bifrost, etc and boy did that really sound good. I used Neutron and Google Play Music (with my streaming subscription). USB Audio worked perfectly fine with the Note 3. Then again USB Audio worked fine with my previous Galaxy S3.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #14,305 of 20,374
  how would you describe this "not so offensive sound" 
redface.gif

No clipping, no obvious Intermodulation Distortion with the HE-500's I turned it up a notch below maximum volume, it wasn't loud but was workable. I didn't try it for long as I was more interested in connecting to my DAC. I will try some more during the week. I'll also give it a shot with my XBA-H3 IEMs. So far the Internal DAC and Amp exceeded expectations,of course I wasn't expecting too much. I'll have to see how it fares with my HD600's, which at 300 Ohms is a different animal to drive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #14,307 of 20,374
Why is it that people do not recommend the vali more for the HE-500? I have not personally heard it, but I was under the impression that it had a great, unique sound compared to other similarly priced models.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #14,309 of 20,374
  Why is it that people do not recommend the vali more for the HE-500? I have not personally heard it, but I was under the impression that it had a great, unique sound compared to other similarly priced models.

Because at 32 Ohms it has 1/2 the power of the Magni. IMO The HE-500 does well with a clean 1 W,the Vali can deliver 650 mW at 32 Ohms, which means a little less at 38 Ohms.

Back in January, I emailed Schiit about this and the below is my question, followed by Nick's answer. If you do the math from the HE-500's specs, 1W takes you a smidge under 120 dB SPL. Amongst my pile of Schiit I have a Vali and honestly, it does more than a decent job. My Asgard does an excellent job.

email with Schiit
  1. Can the Vali adequately drive the Hifiman HE-500s, powerwise?
  2. In our opinion, yes, but it is definitely at the limit of what it can do. If you really want to get to head banging levels, you’ll need more power.

IMO Headbanging = earsplitting

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #14,310 of 20,374
Because at 32 Ohms it has 1/2 the power of the Magni. IMO The HE-500 does well with a clean 1 W,the Vali can deliver 650 mW at 32 Ohms, which means a little less at 38 Ohms.

Back in January, I emailed Schiit about this and the below is my question, followed by Nick's answer. If you do the math from the HE-500's specs, 1W takes you a smidge under 120 dB SPL. Amongst my pile of Schiit I have a Vali and honestly, it does more than a decent job. My Asgard does an excellent job.

email with Schiit

• Can the Vali adequately drive the Hifiman HE-500s, powerwise?
  • In our opinion, yes, but it is definitely at the limit of what it can do. If you really want to get to head banging levels, you’ll need more power.

IMO Headbanging = earsplitting

I Do understand ur question..its a very important one...but am at a loss about the answer of shiit....dont they want to be taken serious about their sound quality of their products or just the amount of power their products pumps out?

Their answer should be: it can drive them ok..but if u want the best (better) sound experience out of ur phone u need to get a better model in our range (example...)....
I Dont want to mock this brand..but that sales peep definitely doesnt have the heart on the right place for audio...more about sales and the technical kind of audio...sorry..but thats my opinion..if any other brand should answered me that way i would immediately scratch them of my list...

Ofcourse i know that their biggest sales is not to audiophiles, but to the more moderate (until 600usd budget ampwise) customer who likes to listen to their nowadays music (mp3 etc) the loudest they can bear, with the hardest hitting bass and highest power per dollar, as thats considered good nowadays, thats their core market..and i respect that..but for me..nah..not for me..i prefer audio gd in that case..from them.i got the right answer to same question when i had the he500..last year...oh welll..i am one of the few who actually care about quality of sound instead of power figures, no matter the price..always did and always will. :wink: I am a stubborn m..therf..cker :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back