HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #13,951 of 20,374
  What shocks? Why would one need a shielded cabled for the HE-500s? They are low impedance and are ususaly driven by an amp with even lower impedance.
Are you thinking about the microphonics caused by touching the cable or it rubbing upon itself? If so that's not electrical.

The shock is like a static electricity shock you can experience by dragging your
feet across the carpet. I think by using the shielded cable, it is grounded by the
shielding to the amp. Just a thought. I have a dedicated circuit for my electrical
source so I don't think that is the problem. When using another set of cans on the
same set up I don't have this experience. When I wrote about this previously there
were some other people who experienced the shock. Oh well, life goes on but I
would like to solve the mystery. Thanks

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #13,952 of 20,374
Thought it did work out for you with another cable. Guess I see 2 possibilities. Either you are electrically charged or the headphone is. If the plate touching your ears is grounded, it'd make the hole issue worse, supposing it is you who are charged. Since the plate isn't grounded it might make sense that the headphone is electrically charged somehow, not you.

The actual signal shouldn't be able to build up such a big static charge at all. So it seems likely the static electricity must be generated in some other way, and it might be through the cable, who knows.

Well, I was just thinking out loud. Try playing around with a multi-meter, see if you measure something interesting. Maybe try to replicate it without having the headphones connected to the amp.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #13,953 of 20,374

The shock is like a static electricity shock you can experience by dragging your
feet across the carpet. I think by using the shielded cable, it is grounded by the
shielding to the amp. Just a thought. I have a dedicated circuit for my electrical
source so I don't think that is the problem. When using another set of cans on the
same set up I don't have this experience. When I wrote about this previously there
were some other people who experienced the shock. Oh well, life goes on but I
would like to solve the mystery. Thanks

Whats wrong with the Mogami you made ?
Shielding is the only thing that worked for me
You could try a separate wire from the headphone connector to the jack ground
That would be a five wire cable , tricky to braid but it would be lighter and more flexible than the shielded cable
You don't need much it just needs to be a better path than you're ear

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #13,954 of 20,374

Whats wrong with the Mogami you made ?
Shielding is the only thing that worked for me
You could try a separate wire from the headphone connector to the jack ground
That would be a five wire cable , tricky to braid but it would be lighter and more flexible than the shielded cable
You don't need much it just needs to be a better path than you're ear

Perhaps I did not make it clear, the Mogami works, no shock,  I am just
disappointed that I am limited to Mogami not that Mogami sounds that bad.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #13,955 of 20,374

There is always the Moon Audio stuff Black , Blue or Silver Dragon if you want something more exotic
I use the Black Dragon and find it suits the HE500 well but it is quite stiff compared to Canare or Mogami

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #13,956 of 20,374

U can try toxic cables as an alternative..check their appriciation thread here on headfi for more info :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #13,957 of 20,374
If anyone is experiencing static shocks, perhaps the air in their environment is very dry and a humidifier might solve that. I have a humidifier built into my heating system and should I forget to switch it on when winter begins, after getting a jolt or two, I get reminded to switch it on. Thankfully I've never been zapped through my headphones. 
eek.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #13,958 of 20,374
The HE-500 shocks got too much for me, was literally unable to move on my seat without generating enough static to shock my ears. I've now moved from inland to a place next to the coast with higher humidity. Yet to unpack my headphone rig, but I'm sure the static will be gone.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #13,959 of 20,374
  The HE-500 shocks got too much for me, was literally unable to move on my seat without generating enough static to shock my ears. I've now moved from inland to a place next to the coast with higher humidity. Yet to unpack my headphone rig, but I'm sure the static will be gone.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your highly charged situation.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #13,960 of 20,374
  Good luck and keep us posted as to your highly charged situation.

Lol, will do. The humidity where I was previously staying was around 10-20 percent in winter. On chilly days and when its really dry, the static is very problematic. Only disappears once the seasons start changing again as the humidity goes up and its no longer an an issue. You should see the thunderstorms we have in the Gauteng in summer, they can really spectacular and intense due to the dry thin air... Next to the coast the humidity is always high and of course lightning storms are much rarer there as well.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #13,961 of 20,374

Lol, will do. The humidity where I was previously staying was around 10-20 percent in winter. On chilly days and when its really dry, the static is very problematic. Only disappears once the seasons start changing again as the humidity goes up and its no longer an an issue. You should see the thunderstorms we have in the Gauteng in summer, they can really spectacular and intense due to the dry thin air... Next to the coast the humidity is always high and of course lightning storms are much rarer there as well.

Holy cow, that's dry. You ever have any electronic kit damaged by static discharges?

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #13,962 of 20,374
Not so far though, but electronics is risky business here if you don't manage your ESD environment. I've have fried some ICs in the past by accident when working with prototype boards and not being careful enough. Walking to other people's offices is always an adventure as you wait for the inevitable static discharge once you have to touch an aluminium door handle or door frame somewhere along the line.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #13,963 of 20,374
Holy cow, that's dry. You ever have any electronic kit damaged by static discharges?

I have 60% in my house..normal is between 50-60.. Max 70 when u have lots of people over. :wink:
20??? I cant imagine that even to be healthy for u!!! A moisterizer would indeed help..i use a demagnitizer (or deionizer..i dont know exactly what it does..but it changes something in the air) and de-moisterizer in winters when everything is closed in the house.. And it works!!! Its like a mobile air conditioning thingie...only one bad thing..it makes HUGE amount of noise!! Like a huge ventilator. :xf_eek:

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #13,964 of 20,374
I have 60% in my house..normal is between 50-60.. Max 70 when u have lots of people over.
wink.gif

20??? I cant imagine that even to be healthy for u!!! A moisterizer would indeed help..i use a demagnitizer (or deionizer..i dont know exactly what it does..but it changes something in the air) and de-moisterizer in winters when everything is closed in the house.. And it works!!! Its like a mobile air conditioning thingie...only one bad thing..it makes HUGE amount of noise!! Like a huge ventilator.
redface.gif

My heating system has a humidifier built in which I switch on during the winter. It doesn't make any noise but I have to change water filters on it twice during the winter. It has an adjustment to set the % humidification. It also keeps one's skin from getting too dry in the winter.
Well the summer, I have airconditioning which cools the air and removes excess humidity. Both run in the same forced air system. Thankfully I never have the pleasure of getting zapped by static.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13,965 of 20,374
My heating system has a humidifier built in which I switch on during the winter. It doesn't make any noise but I have to change water filters on it twice during the winter. It has an adjustment to set the % humidification. It also keeps one's skin from getting too dry in the winter.
Well the summer, I have airconditioning which cools the air and removes excess humidity. Both run in the same forced air system. Thankfully I never have the pleasure of getting zapped by static.

How weird the world can be...i use equipment to get rid of moisture (in one day the moisture % can get from 70 to 50.. My demoisteriser is very efficient.. daily i empty a big cabinet in which the water (moisture) is collected .)and u guys need equipment to get more moisture into ur homes...oh well..at least i ill never get the static problems some of u guys have :xf_eek:

My new house will have airco in the livingroom installed (but i do have automatic central heating throughout the house!)... Dont know how that will work out...i dont do fine with airco.. My throat reacts very badly on airco....even in my car i only use it when its REALLY nessesary...like in warm weather with raining..or driving faster as 160 (or when i need the very last piece of BHP from my growling baby lolz) ... But for rest....wind is my best friend then:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back