HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #13,921 of 20,374
Let's face it, the most neck muscle exercise most computer geeks are likely to get is by checking out a pretty lady walking past the office or street! 
tongue.gif
 Unless you live or work in an area that has a lot of talent around, that is unlikely to be enough neck exercise for the HE-500. Luckily I live in South Africa!

The best neck muscle exercise though is go-karting. Used to have the most awesome go-kart track in the Netherlands that spanned over two levels and included a long banked turn which was a real neck killer. You'd be able wear the HE-500 all day without breaking a sweat after a couple of laps there.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #13,922 of 20,374
I don't really think the HE-500 has more bass than k712 technically speaking. The 500's have linear bass.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #13,923 of 20,374
Let's face it, the most neck muscle exercise most computer geeks are likely to get is by checking out a pretty lady walking past the office or street! :p  Unless you live or work in an area that has a lot of talent around, that is unlikely to be enough neck exercise for the HE-500. Luckily I live in South Africa!

The best neck muscle exercise though is go-karting. Used to have the most awesome go-kart track in the Netherlands that spanned over two levels and included a long banked turn which was a real neck killer. You'd be able wear the HE-500 all day without breaking a sweat after a couple of laps there.

Maybe the 'Bleekemolen indoor go-cart track..??? I love that track!!!! :D

And i agree..a fast go-cart trip will hit ur neck like a rock :p

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #13,926 of 20,374
I don't really think the HE-500 has more bass than k712 technically speaking. The 500's have linear bass.

Well darn. I basically just want a headphone like the Annie/K712pro (as in it being neutral and great for gaming) but with more extension and oomph to the bass. I was actually thinking about IEM's as well.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #13,927 of 20,374

Well darn. I basically just want a headphone like the Annie/K712pro (as in it being neutral and great for gaming) but with more extension and oomph to the bass. I was actually thinking about IEM's as well.

HE-500 has heaps of extension (more than dynamics in general) + plenty of oomph. I'm sure you won't be disappointed
These headphones definitely have it over the K701s in the bass region (K712 are only slightly different to the K701 iirc)

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #13,928 of 20,374
Quote:
  HE-500 has heaps of extension (more than dynamics in general) + plenty of oomph. I'm sure you won't be disappointed
These headphones definitely have it over the K701s in the bass region (K712 are only slightly different to the K701 iirc)

Why does it have that type of extension? Because it's a planar? Sweet. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
See, you've actually had the headphones before, but so has davidsh. He says the following:

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #13,929 of 20,374
  Quote:
Why does it have that type of extension? Because it's a planar? Sweet. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
See, you've actually had the headphones before, but so has davidsh. He says the following:

I think they are both saying a very similar thing.  Neither are "basshead" cans and won't rattle your head with the bass impact.  However, the HE500 will reach lower (extension) and are smoother in its transition (linear).

I don't have the K712 but I have the bass port modded Q701's.  From what I've gathered, the K702, Q701, K712, etc. are all fairly similar "AKG" sounding with slight variations (that's at least my impression from reading multiple comparisons).  I think the K712/K702 Annie's have more bass largely because of the different earpads.  Out of curiosity, I did pick up the K702 Annie pads for my Q's and it certainly added more bass.

Personally, the HE500 has better bass than the Q701.  It is faster and cleaner sounding.  But as I mentioned, I don't find either bass heavy.  If you are wanting something to shake your head, neither will do it.

As a thought, if you like the K712/K702 Annie's sound, maybe look into the bass port mod for those?  That may be enough to get you the bass you want?  I would ask over in those threads though to see if anyone has tried it and the results.  It is a very recommended mod to do on the Q701's but I'm not sure how it applies to those as they already have more bass stock than the Q701's did stock.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #13,930 of 20,374

I think they are both saying a very similar thing.  Neither are "basshead" cans and won't rattle your head with the bass impact.  However, the HE500 will reach lower (extension) and are smoother in its transition (linear).

I don't have the K712 but I have the bass port modded Q701's.  From what I've gathered, the K702, Q701, K712, etc. are all fairly similar "AKG" sounding with slight variations (that's at least my impression from reading multiple comparisons).  I think the K712/K702 Annie's have more bass largely because of the different earpads.  Out of curiosity, I did pick up the K702 Annie pads for my Q's and it certainly added more bass.

Personally, the HE500 has better bass than the Q701.  It is faster and cleaner sounding.  But as I mentioned, I don't find either bass heavy.  If you are wanting something to shake your head, neither will do it.

As a thought, if you like the K712/K702 Annie's sound, maybe look into the bass port mod for those?  That may be enough to get you the bass you want?  I would ask over in those threads though to see if anyone has tried it and the results.  It is a very recommended mod to do on the Q701's but I'm not sure how it applies to those as they already have more bass stock than the Q701's did stock.

Yeah, definitely don't want those kind. That sounds good though.

I see.

Nah, not really looking for head rattle, haha, but just something that will do hip-hop/EDM/the like, some justice.

Good though. My Annies are going out in a trade though!

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #13,931 of 20,374

Yeah, definitely don't want those kind. That sounds good though.

I see.

Nah, not really looking for head rattle, haha, but just something that will do hip-hop/EDM/the like, some justice.

Good though. My Annies are going out in a trade though!

You may want to take a look at the MrSpeakers headphones then.  Dan (man behind MrSpeakers) has said that he tailored the sound of the Mad Dog Pro for EDM.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13,932 of 20,374
  You may want to take a look at the MrSpeakers headphones then.  Dan (man behind MrSpeakers) has said that he tailored the sound of the Mad Dog Pro for EDM.

Meh to MD, but what about Alphas?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #13,933 of 20,374
Meh to MD, but what about Alphas?

Alpha Dogs are neutral headphones. I'd go as far as to say that from what I've read their bass is even tighter and less prominent than the 500s bass.

Also, for sheer SQ benefits, if you don't absolutely need closed headphones, go for open. While the open headphones don't usually have as much bass as sone closed cans, they just sound more open, natural, they image better and staging is superior too. Very few closed manage some but very rarely all, and those would be the more >1000$ expensive ones.

As a EDM/hip hop headphone the Phillips Fidelio X1 is pure bliss! It does those genres really well.
It also does well in other genres.

Thing is, if I want a guilty pleasure bassy headphone, I also keep a less bassy reference one for (most) other times and other genres. Comparing such two headphones, you usually lose boom and gain tightness while extension and punch might remain similar.

But I'd wager the X1 was the closest to a headphone usable for all genres and it was, but I did not need that extra bit of bass and then even if it was an exceptional headphone, I got bass sufficient to my tastes from other more reference/neutral headphones.

But yeah, hip hop or EDM, movies, gaming? The X1.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #13,934 of 20,374
Alpha Dogs are neutral headphones. I'd go as far as to say that from what I've read their bass is even tighter and less prominent than the 500s bass.

Also, for sheer SQ benefits, if you don't absolutely need closed headphones, go for open. While the open headphones don't usually have as much bass as sone closed cans, they just sound more open, natural, they image better and staging is superior too. Very few closed manage some but very rarely all, and those would be the more >1000$ expensive ones.

As a EDM/hip hop headphone the Phillips Fidelio X1 is pure bliss! It does those genres really well.
It also does well in other genres.

Thing is, if I want a guilty pleasure bassy headphone, I also keep a less bassy reference one for (most) other times and other genres. Comparing such two headphones, you usually lose boom and gain tightness while extension and punch might remain similar.

But I'd wager the X1 was the closest to a headphone usable for all genres and it was, but I did not need that extra bit of bass and then even if it was an exceptional headphone, I got bass sufficient to my tastes from other more reference/neutral headphones.

But yeah, hip hop or EDM, movies, gaming? The X1.

Pretty much exactly what I heard.

Yup, read that much as well.

Ah, so, what headphones did you move on to?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #13,935 of 20,374
Pretty much exactly what I heard.

Yup, read that much as well.

Ah, so, what headphones did you move on to?

Right now, I have the MA900 as a warmer, more bassy headphone (still not as good as X1 for bass only, but it has good punch and awesome midrange, and it's light and very portable) and the K612 as a very neutral and reference but still musical/dynamic enough to do everything very well, from music to gaming (less overall midbass than K712 but slightly more extension, more even)
The HE-560 should be my next headphone and hopefully it'll replace the K612.

Still, K612/MA900 are my fave phones! Bought both for around $300 (MA900 slightly discounted, K612 regular price) and couldn't be happier for the money. If each retailed for $300 I'd believe it honestly. They're really, really good IMO and different enough to me yet still dear :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back