HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #13,966 of 20,386
How weird the world can be...i use equipment to get rid of moisture (in one day the moisture % can get from 70 to 50.. My demoisteriser is very efficient.. daily i empty a big cabinet in which the water (moisture) is collected .)and u guys need equipment to get more moisture into ur homes...oh well..at least i ill never get the static problems some of u guys have
redface.gif

My new house will have airco in the livingroom installed (but i do have automatic central heating throughout the house!)... Dont know how that will work out...i dont do fine with airco.. My throat reacts very badly on airco....even in my car i only use it when its REALLY nessesary...like in warm weather with raining..or driving faster as 160 (or when i need the very last piece of BHP from my growling baby lolz) ... But for rest....wind is my best friend then:)

Considering the country you live in, I'm not surprised that dry air is not an issue. I wonder how constant high humidity affects headphones?

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #13,967 of 20,386
Achieved a new level of detail with the new amp offered by ampsandsound , It is a SET design darling variant using the 1626 tube puts out a whopping 3/4 WPC

the neat thing is the builder special ordered iron wound for 32 and 600 ohm (Transcendar) the amp has 2 headphone 1/4" taps one for cans around 32 ohms and one for 600 ohm

Cool design and at 3/4 watts it drives the hell outta the 500....................cant go past 9 O-Clock for the most part, I believe what is most surprising is the bass.  I dont typically perceive a low power set amp as good at bass. This amp has changed that perception 

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #13,968 of 20,386
^ you meant 3 or 4 wpc or 3/4 as in = 0.75?

If 3 or 4 wpc then it will be a decent amount to drive the HE500. If only 0.75 wpc, that's nothing to sneeze about, often volume and knob position are not a true indication of sufficient or not sufficient power.
My amp does 10ish wpc into my HE500 and knob position is also about 9 o'clock for normal listening volume.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #13,969 of 20,386
^ you meant 3 or 4 wpc or 3/4 as in = 0.75?

If 3 or 4 wpc then it will be a decent amount to drive the HE500. If only 0.75 wpc, that's nothing to sneeze about, often volume and knob position are not a true indication of sufficient or not sufficient power.
My amp does 10ish wpc into my HE500 and knob position is also about 9 o'clock for normal listening volume.

Volume controls are not linear they have what is called an audio taper (log) and there are two popular tapers. So you're right about the position not being a true indication of power. For the same model amp, it's probably OK for making relative comparisons for discussions.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #13,970 of 20,386
the amp is 3/4 wpc (IE... less than 1 watt) I know hifiman states 1 WPC, I dont know much about amp design etc...I just know what i hear. and this amp delivers very solid bass with great impact, has nicely extended highs and will get to a volume level at under 1/2 the knobs turn that will make your ears hurt

if that equals poor drive then I am afraid I dont understand what people refer to as "Drive", My understanding says the amp drives these phones easy

I thought I read statements where headphones will perform better with more current output, not necessarily only WPC  that matters ??

I also have a 3 WPC tube amp that drives the phones very well, I can not tell any loss of headphone performance using the 3/4 watt amp, and infact have found the later to have better SQ.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #13,971 of 20,386
It all depends on your listening level, music preference, individual amp design so on so forth. Besides, 3/4 watts of power can mean many things, it all depends on how it performs at rated wattage, ie distortion and that sort of stuff. For all we know it could be rated at 0.1 % THD at 3/4 watt and be able to deliver 1.5 watts without distorting badly... Or maybe not.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #13,972 of 20,386
In my experience 3/4 watt will drive the HE500 to its full potential easily regardless of genre or level
If you lust for power that's fine but I wish people would stop claiming high power is "required" it just isn't

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #13,974 of 20,386
  In my experience 3/4 watt will drive the HE500 to its full potential easily regardless of genre or level
If you lust for power that's fine but I wish people would stop claiming high power is "required" it just isn't

More and more power is certainly not required but there is a minimum threshold.  My E09K puts out almost 1wpc but it can't put a candle when compared to my Emo (10ish wpc).
10wpc is probably more than needed but somewhere between 1 and 10 is where the magic happens.  Where that point is, I wouldn't care more or less.

I myself was a non believer in pwr driving these tiny HPs (I came from pro audio and speakers) and thought my Fiio E09K had more than enough to drive my HE500.  Damn, I was quite wrong and had quite an eye/ear opening experience...

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #13,976 of 20,386
  the amp is 3/4 wpc (IE... less than 1 watt) I know hifiman states 1 WPC, I dont know much about amp design etc...I just know what i hear. and this amp delivers very solid bass with great impact, has nicely extended highs and will get to a volume level at under 1/2 the knobs turn that will make your ears hurt

if that equals poor drive then I am afraid I dont understand what people refer to as "Drive", My understanding says the amp drives these phones easy

I thought I read statements where headphones will perform better with more current output, not necessarily only WPC  that matters ??

I also have a 3 WPC tube amp that drives the phones very well, I can not tell any loss of headphone performance using the 3/4 watt amp, and infact have found the later to have better SQ.

Are you saying that by simply listening you can determine that the amp outputs 3/4 of a watt?

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #13,977 of 20,386

More and more power is certainly not required but there is a minimum threshold.  My E09K puts out almost 1wpc but it can't put a candle when compared to my Emo (10ish wpc).
10wpc is probably more than needed but somewhere between 1 and 10 is where the magic happens.  Where that point is, I wouldn't care more or less.

I myself was a non believer in pwr driving these tiny HPs (I came from pro audio and speakers) and thought my Fiio E09K had more than enough to drive my HE500.  Damn, I was quite wrong and had quite an eye/ear opening experience...

Could be that the FiiO E09K distorts far above their published spec once there's a load (headphone) attached t it and the volume is dialed up. The conditions of their measurements are not given. A 1W Asgard 2 does perfectly fine with the HE-500's.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #13,978 of 20,386
  Are you saying that by simply listening you can determine that the amp outputs 3/4 of a watt?

popcorn.gif

here we go again
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #13,980 of 20,386
  Instigator 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Are you looking for entertainment at our expense or just want some popcorn?

nope, just lurking around and just enjoying the view, yep WITH some popcorn
evil_smiley.gif
, as just came home from work and am listening to some sweet tunes on a certain amp with a certain headphone
gs1000.gif

but knowing u its about to get serious as ur starting to quote two posts into on...so entertainment is around the corner soon concerning this matter
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back