HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #13,996 of 20,386
  I must have misinterpreted from all of the talk about volume knob positions, etc. All I expect from an amp is clean power and a flat FR. IMO power above headroom is never used, thus of no consequence, good or bad.

You are the first person to state that in over 30 years of audio and I agree 100 %   (apparently WE can agree on something 
biggrin.gif
) I am actually pretty surprised with this amp, in my exp. SET amps trend to the warm side, romantic and syrupy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I questioned Justin about this he said it is ZERO Feedback,  This set amp reminds me of very high end SS think Roland / Levinson and the like...........................Its presentation is very neutral.  It is actually the first amp I feel like low level listening is as good as higher level listening

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #13,997 of 20,386
Just ordered HE-500 today. Any recommendations for aftermarket cable? Thanks!

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #13,998 of 20,386

Check my profile for a brand suggestion :wink:

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #14,000 of 20,386
Ohh yeah, more gain = more power :D
Seriously, i don't see why amps have to have such stupendous high gain. I want comfortable listening to be at 11-12 o'clock at least. And of course logarithmic volume control

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #14,001 of 20,386
  I must have misinterpreted from all of the talk about volume knob positions, etc. All I expect from an amp is clean power and a flat FR. IMO power above headroom is never used, thus of no consequence, good or bad.

You are the first person to state that in over 30 years of audio and I agree 100 %   (apparently WE can agree on something 
biggrin.gif
) I am actually pretty surprised with this amp, in my exp. SET amps trend to the warm side, romantic and syrupy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I questioned Justin about this he said it is ZERO Feedback,  This set amp reminds me of very high end SS think Roland / Levinson and the like...........................Its presentation is very neutral.  It is actually the first amp I feel like low level listening is as good as higher level listening

As you can see, I keep it simple, I'm not asking for too much. 
regular_smile .gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #14,003 of 20,386

DIY.  Save yourself some money, control the length, suffer no loss of quality (or maybe even improve it 
biggrin.gif
 ).  If you bought it new, HiFiMAN is kind enough to provide the most expensive parts (the SMC connectors).  If you don't want to DIY, I have a very nice 6-foot plusSounds cable I'll let you have at an excellent discount (i.e., cheaper than any aftermarket cable you're likely to buy direct; it's basically new, but tested to work very well, esp. vs. the stock cable).

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #14,004 of 20,386
  I'm Curious as I have seen this a lot,  Why on earth would anyone look to swap the cable before they have even had a chance to listen to the stock ???  

Good point.  But the stock cable is stiff, long and microphonic.  Just sayin'.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,006 of 20,386

Good point.  But the stock cable is stiff, long and microphonic.  Just sayin'.

Long yes (i roll mine and use velcro to solve this), stiff yes, not an issue for me, Microphonic I have had no problem with this either....................I dont feel like the he500 is considered a portable phone, IE ........ you use it while setting somewhere so I dont personally find any of the mentioned a drawback.  That said I understand the process of making it yours and can see where some would like to upgrade a cable

I just dont understand doing it before you have a chance to use the original and see what you think about that.............................

I know some folks use cables for that last enth of tuning but you can not know if that is desired till you hear the cans.....................

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #14,007 of 20,386
Long yes (i roll mine and use velcro to solve this), stiff yes, not an issue for me, Microphonic I have had no problem with this either....................I dont feel like the he500 is considered a portable phone, IE ........ you use it while setting somewhere so I dont personally find any of the mentioned a drawback.  That said I understand the process of making it yours and can see where some would like to upgrade a cable

I just dont understand doing it before you have a chance to use the original and see what you think about that.............................

I know some folks use cables for that last enth of tuning but you can not know if that is desired till you hear the cans.....................

Dont forget..a cable can only improve ur rig soundwise if u already have a very high quality components!

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #14,009 of 20,386
  I'm Curious as I have seen this a lot,  Why on earth would anyone look to swap the cable before they have even had a chance to listen to the stock ???  

I have a balanced amp, and I don't have any soldering skill to reterminate the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back