HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #9,076 of 20,374
  that right,I hope that the HE-500s have better soundstage and treble than the cramped LCD-2.
hDDnd7

it does :) it gets even better too if you buy/make jerg pads and regrill them as well.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #9,077 of 20,374
it does :) it gets even better too if you buy/make jerg pads and regrill them as well.

+1 i agree completely..i did both also... Even removed the dustscreen...very extreme..but the sound!!!!! :wink: Hope the code-x is indeed as good as they say..as a jergulor modded he500 sounds far beyond the price it sells for..pity modulor stopped making the modulor pads if i am not mistaken :xf_eek:

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #9,078 of 20,374
I'm beginning to think the Emotiva is an adapter for OTL amps to play with the HE-500. Emailed the people at Emotiva and they told me the input impedance is around 10K ohms so it works especially well with OTL. Now I get why all tube preamps are OTL. Speaker amps in general have high impedance according to Wikipedia. Currently running Crack+Emotiva and it's something else. It has the impact and warmth of a tube amp and the transparency of a SS. I think this is the best of the HE-500 I've heard.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #9,079 of 20,374

I'm beginning to think the Emotiva is an adapter for OTL amps to play with the HE-500. Emailed the people at Emotiva and they told me the input impedance is around 10K ohms so it works especially well with OTL. Now I get why all tube preamps are OTL. Speaker amps in general have high impedance according to Wikipedia. Currently running Crack+Emotiva and it's something else. It has the impact and warmth of a tube amp and the transparency of a SS. I think this is the best of the HE-500 I've heard.

Very nice.. I'm going to hook up the Crack to the TBI Millenia (another fine speaker amp that's wonderfully transparent).. and see how the HE-500 like it.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #9,080 of 20,374

Wait a sec..337 and emotiva.. Would that be the dream team? ..lolz :wink:

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #9,081 of 20,374
Going to buy the Emotiva mini-x a-100 for my HE-500 :D Got quoted $275 including shipping, is it still worth it? Mind you I still have to buy speaker taps too!
Also would I need to add resistance to the speaker taps or is just fine the way it is? 
Anyone interested in buying a HiFiMan custom cable from Charleston Cable company? Currently looking to off-load it, I don't need the money haha
It's the Audiophile version worth about $300 USD. Can sell it for a lot cheaper though

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #9,082 of 20,374
So after this Bottlehead Crack preamp realization, I'm tempted to get the Quickie. 1) Because the Crack is part of my work setup. And 2) from Bottlehead's website:

"But can't I turn the Quickie into a headphone amp for less?"
Yeah, but it was really designed as a preamp. And in fact it makes a better sounding preamp than Crack, and Crack makes a better sounding headphone amp than Quickie. Of course there are folks who like to have Crack and a Quickie. Both are inexpensive and readily available.

And for only $99?

Is it time to add the Quickie to the chain for best sound for lowest price with the HE-500?

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #9,083 of 20,374
Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicality, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.
LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." 
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #9,084 of 20,374
Hi everyone!

I’m about to purchase the HE-500 and the emotive mini-X. I have been looking for a DAC in order to build a complete set. It is quite difficult because regarding the DAC there are many different choices and I haven’t find any DAC comparable to the value obtained for the money expended as in the case of the emotiva amp.

Precisely my concerns are with respect to the changes in the digital formats and the questionable upgradability of some DAC.

Do you recommend an entrance level and a good DAC for the HE-500? I’m thinking of getting the Shiit Modi for 99, the ODAC for 150, or the HIFYMeDIY sabre 2 for 60? Should I go for another level?

Does these DACs represent a dramatic upgrade with respect to my computer’s DAC or my sansa clip zip?

Thank you!

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #9,085 of 20,374
Wait a sec..337 and emotiva.. Would that be the dream team? ..lolz
wink.gif

I fell off my chair laughing when I read that.  You are something else.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #9,086 of 20,374
  Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicality, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.
LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." 
wink.gif

I couldn't have said it better. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #9,087 of 20,374
  Going to buy the Emotiva mini-x a-100 for my HE-500 :D Got quoted $275 including shipping, is it still worth it? Mind you I still have to buy speaker taps too!
Also would I need to add resistance to the speaker taps or is just fine the way it is? 
Anyone interested in buying a HiFiMan custom cable from Charleston Cable company? Currently looking to off-load it, I don't need the money haha
It's the Audiophile version worth about $300 USD. Can sell it for a lot cheaper though

Under $800 USD, except for hifimanrookie's 337, I will personally pick the Emotiva every time.  
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #9,088 of 20,374
I ordered the Quickie. Will arrive in a month. I guess we'll see if Quickie+Emotiva will be a winning combination for HE-500. Until then I'm listening to T90 at work unamped directly through phone cuz my Crack is staying home! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #9,089 of 20,374
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #9,090 of 20,374
Does anyone have experience with how these headphones sound with the more speedy and heavy kind of metal? I also listen to a lot of classical and soundtrack but my main genre is def. Metal. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back