HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #9,061 of 20,374
  DSG, thx for the absolute assurance.
A house in silicon valley can set you back quite a bit when property tax hits.  I wish I don't have to pay it but oh well.
mad.gif

u mean the bendix ones? maybe DSG can help u with that,... i heard a rumor she has a matched pair she doesnt use much
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #9,065 of 20,374
i have most of the 5u4g types , at least popular ones. 

and almost all of the 6as7g family. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #9,067 of 20,374
I have my 337 back since a few weeks again....the guy who boight it from me got fired and almost begged me to take it back..and as i am a nice guy (and luckily dont have money problems) i accepted it..he was sooo happy..so i guess i have a better chair up there in the stars now :wink:
But ..as i know the 337 is not wellknown its not easily sold..

.i hate thise crisis..last year when i bought this amp i had to really run to be first to buy this amp...the seller had 6 interested buyers last year in oktober! Where did these people go? Lolz

So i decided today to sell the tubes seperately and sell the 337 together with the rare svetlana's (vintage 70ties version!)and the excellent rca 5693 red hots.

And now the interesting part for u guys:

My MATCHED pair of 5998 (chatham) and my super rare TS 6sg7gt mesh plates (totally silent, and thats unique guys!) tubes i will be selling seperately..both are matched pairs and were NOS when i bought them (5988 has 200hours, mesh plates 250)

For the 5998 i want 220usd
for the 6sg7gt meshplates 60usd

And sell the 337 for the rediculously low price of 450 euro!!!!!!!
Excl.postage and paypal fees ofcourse..lolz.

Ps..just saw on ebay a guy trying to sell his 5998 pair for more then 300usd..lolz
Happy hunting!:D

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #9,068 of 20,374
Nov 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #9,071 of 20,374
Is the Schiit Asgard 2 good with the HE500?
lyr is better :wink:

..try to get a secondhand one..they keep on popping up in the confidentials regularely for very good prices :wink:

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #9,073 of 20,374
Not sure if I want a tube amp, I like the solid state bass. Lyr does have a lot more mw's though.
one of the best aspects of the lyr that i liked better then on my 337 was the bass the lyr provided...it goes really deep and thunderous!! I dont think a ss amp will give a cleaner harder hitting bass..and honestly i dont think u need more bass with the danger being to much.... Imho ofcourse! Am sure fearless can give u a bit more details about the lyr.

Or get the SS speaker amp the emotiva..but then u have to fiddle with custom cables to connect to the speaker terminals.(some of us are very handy with that) , Pumping 50watts into 8ohm (so i am guessing it pumps out around 5-8watts into 50ohm :p )
And am sure audio gd is a good budget choice also.. And then u have a certain tube powerhouse which sells cheaply for 450euro :D oopsie

And about the watts thingie...we all know that the watts figures provided by most of the brands (not all!) are almost always on the more enthousiastic side... Only while listening to it u will find out if it can actually drive ur headphone suffiently..let ur ears be ur guide..find a high quality lossless track u know from a live concert u attended and then find an amp that gives u the closest sound to that as possible...imho ofcourse

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #9,074 of 20,374

Not sure if I want a tube amp, I like the solid state bass. Lyr does have a lot more mw's though.

The bass presentation is tube dependent, It can sound balanced or bass heavy pending on the tubes you use.
  Is the Schiit Asgard 2 good with the HE500?

What about the Audio GD SA-31SE?

I do not love the SA31(I own the original with the gain upgrade so same amp as the SE) with the HE-500(though it is decent), but I do like it with dynamic drivers. I have not heard the Asgard 2.
one of the best aspects of the lyr that i liked better then on my 337 was the bass the lyr provided...it goes really deep and thunderous!! I dont think a ss amp will give a cleaner harder hitting bass..and honestly i dont think u need more bass with the danger being to much.... Imho ofcourse! Am sure fearless can give u a bit more details about the lyr.

I am no Lyr expert, I just simply stated that I liked it withHE500 more then with any other amp I tried. All I can say about the Lyr is it is extremely receptive to tube rolling (addicting and expensive) and if you find the right tube to match your expectations it is a really nice sounding , affordable amp. 

My world has been recently rocked by the HD800/Fosgate Signature combo, so I have not been listing much to the HE500's, but they are definitely an HP that I will keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back