HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9,106 of 20,374
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #9,108 of 20,374
The biggest advantage of the HE-6 is that it seems to have endless scaling abilities, but from the GS-X MKII I demoed them on, my preference would still be a HE-500 with a well matched (tube) amp.  Something about the warmth, lush mids and their treble presentation...I guess that is just my preferred signature.  I have no doubt that the HE-6 is the technical victor of the two, and I could potentially prefer it with a different amp pairing...but either way, both are undeniably genuine successes with their respective fan-base. 
cool.gif
  I do plan on trying a HE-6 off my speaker taps one day...

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #9,109 of 20,374
  The biggest advantage of the HE-6 is that it seems to have endless scaling abilities, but from the GS-X MKII I demoed them on, my preference would still be a HE-500 with a well matched (tube) amp.  Something about the warmth, lush mids and their treble presentation...I guess that is just my preferred signature.  I have no doubt that the HE-6 is the technical victor of the two, and I could potentially prefer it with a different amp pairing...but either way, both are undeniably genuine successes with their respective fan-base. 
cool.gif

The HE-500. For $700 retail, it is the most incredible deal for a headphone of it's ability, and would be an extraordinary flagship if it was one. The HE-6 is amazing in that regard too, just too sibilant for me.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9,110 of 20,374
  Strictly speaking between the two, the HE-6 is overall the better headphone.

HE-6 over HE-500
Bass
Mids
Treble
Transparency
Depth

HE-500 over HE-6
Forgiveness
Amp requirement

Equal or very similar
Soundstage
Imaging
Weight
Comfort
Cabling

The only caveat is that the HE-6 will not pull ahead far enough without a quality amp and dac. If you don't want, or desire, the dedication it takes for the HE-6, the HE-500 is definitely the way to go. If you do, you will be greatly rewarded. Many favor it overall compared to totl 'stats and HD-800s. Myself included. Don't confuse the HE-500 with that statement though.

Nice, great feedback.

There is no doubt that I want the HE6s, but financially I cannot commit to it, not yet at least. I'm most likely going to decide between the HE-500s and the Grados RS1is.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #9,111 of 20,374

The HE-500. For $700 retail, it is the most incredible deal for a headphone of it's ability, and would be an extraordinary flagship if it was one. The HE-6 is amazing in that regard too, just too sibilant for me.

Agreed with the He-500. HE-6 sibilant? Nope, but I have had DACs and source material that are revealed to be so. The HE-6 really makes you step up your game so to speak.

Nice, great feedback.

There is no doubt that I want the HE6s, but financially I cannot commit to it, not yet at least. I'm most likely going to decide between the HE-500s and the Grados RS1is.

Try scouring the 'net for a used one.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #9,112 of 20,374
cool.gif

It does scale higher than any headphone i have come across. I think the biggest factor in driving the HE-6 is output current, and no matter how fancy a headphone amp is, they just pale in comparison to an old-fashioned space heater speaker amp lol.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #9,113 of 20,374
A couple used ones currently on head-fi. I do wonder if the advantage over the HE-6s is lost when you 'upgrade' (i.e. the HE-500's versatility with all types of music). How versatile is the HE-6?

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #9,114 of 20,374
  A couple used ones currently on head-fi. I do wonder if the advantage over the HE-6s is lost when you 'upgrade' (i.e. the HE-500's versatility with all types of music). How versatile is the HE-6?

It's incredibly versatile, much like the Beyer T1. The only genre I'm not crazy about with the HE-6 is classical music recorded in a large setting. That's where the HD-800s shine, the huge soundstage. However, there's always crossfeed plug-ins should you desire a larger stage, or better yet actual speakers for that genre lol.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9,115 of 20,374
Anyone here ever upgraded from the HE400 to the HE500 and regretted it?
Basically its the recessed mids and the tizz that is bugging me about the HE400 which the HE500 doesn't have. It kinda scares me though, that they need jergulors or they too don't sound quite right. It would be the easiest option without costing an arm and a leg. The doubt I have is that maybe they are too similar and I should go straight to the LCD3 and stop messing around.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #9,116 of 20,374
Basically its the recessed mids and the tizz that is bugging me about the HE400 which the HE500 doesn't have. It kinda scares me though, that they need jergulors or they too don't sound quite right. It would be the easiest option without costing an arm and a leg. The doubt I have is that maybe they are too similar and I should go straight to the LCD3 and stop messing around.

I went from the 400 to the 500 and initially I regretted it. I missed the fun factor of the 400, they have an engaging signature. The 500s are much better balanced though and I wouldnt be without them now.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #9,117 of 20,374

Nice, great feedback.

FWIW, after I got the HE-500, the RS1i I had at that stage never got much listening time again. I feel the HE-500 trumps it pretty much everywhere and it is a much better all rounder as well. The speed and bass response and mid range clarity thumps the RS1i and if you pair it with a relatively brightish solid state amp you should be good to go. The Lehmann Black Cube Linear amp I had was certainly bright and dynamic enough with the HE-500 to really crunch out metal. The RS1i in comparison is a very coloured sounding headphone and therefore limited to certain genres, I personally enjoyed the SR325is more with metal and classic rock. The PS500 or SR325is would probably be a better option to look into if you are serious about going the Grado route. I eventually sold the RS1i around 6 months after I got the HE-500 because it wasn't getting any listening time and I haven't missed it once so far.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #9,118 of 20,374

I haven't heard any of the modded pads with HE-500, but I still loved the sound with every amp I tried out. To me, that's their biggest selling point, besides price.

I'd say don't jump straight to the LCD-3 yet. Get both HE-500 and LCD-2 and keep them around for a few months and see what you like and dislike and then go from there. All 3 are great, so no need to rush to LCD-3's right away.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #9,119 of 20,374
Please end my misery and help me choose an Audio GD amp.

I have pretty much decided between NFB 10.33 & NFB 28.

As I have come to understand:

NFB 28 compared to 10.33

Sabre ES9018 DAC
Newer model with better Rcore power transformer
Newer PCB supposedly allows for upgrades (??)
More detail, resolution and analytical
More Analog in and can be used a dedicated amp/pre-amp
Costs 100 dollar more

NFB 10.33

Warmer and Musical. Kingwa says may pair better with HE-500
Dual Wolfson WM8741
Older PCB and may be less upgrade proof (??)
Cheaper by 100 dollars
Older model comparatively, given the speed at which they upgrade products.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise. My mind is with NFB 28 as I heard nicer things about the Sabre DAC, but Wolfson is no slouch either. The HE-500 still sounds bright to me powered from Denon 3312 headphone jack.

Also if I were to go for another headphone like say LCD2.2, how would these behave? Resale value?

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #9,120 of 20,374
Please end my misery and help me choose an Audio GD amp.

I have pretty much decided between NFB 10.33 & NFB 28.

As I have come to understand:

NFB 28 compared to 10.33

Sabre ES9018 DAC
Newer model with better Rcore power transformer
Newer PCB supposedly allows for upgrades (??)
More detail, resolution and analytical
More Analog in and can be used a dedicated amp/pre-amp
Costs 100 dollar more

NFB 10.33

Warmer and Musical. Kingwa says may pair better with HE-500
Dual Wolfson WM8721
Older PCB and may be less upgrade proof (??)
Cheaper by 100 dollars
Older model comparatively, given the speed at which they upgrade products.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise. My mind is with NFB 28 as I heard nicer things about the Sabre DAC, but Wolfson is no slouch either. The HE-500 still sounds bright to me powered from Denon 3312 headphone jack.

Also if I were to go for another headphone like say LCD2.2, how would these behave? Resale value?

Get the one with the ESS DAC and better transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back