HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 23, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #8,116 of 20,386

i know you from an italian fórum???
biggrin.gif

un saluto
aldo

yup, same old Phaeton as usual
biggrin.gif

ciao
mike

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #8,117 of 20,386
I'll just leave this here. Enjoying this a lot with my new setup. One of the greatest ambient albums of all time 
beyersmile.png

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #8,118 of 20,386

Ive heard that TH-900 sound very bright & screamy, to the point were its very uncomfertable. 
It might be because of the amp selection, but do you agree? 

yeah sounds like you're talking about a grado rather than the TH-900. they can be bright with poor amping or at louder volumes due to the U shaped treble, but generally the treble is smooth and clean, not brighter than say a beyerdynamic t1 or even an hd 800, and the midrange is slightly warm imo. i don't find the TH-900 to sound screamy at all. 

must be a really bad amp too, i never find brightness or screamyness on anything.

from a ipod or ipad amp to a built in amp on my DAC to now the GSX MK2, no harshness

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #8,119 of 20,386
Gonna chime this in, not sure If I asked you guys yet or not... 

I'm hoping to get a Balanced Tube to drive the He 5LE with, so let me ask you guys. LD MK VI+ or MK VIII SE? Which would have a better chance driving the HE 5LE 

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #8,120 of 20,386
  Gonna chime this in, not sure If I asked you guys yet or not... 

I'm hoping to get a Balanced Tube to drive the He 5LE with, so let me ask you guys. LD MK VI+ or MK VIII SE? Which would have a better chance driving the HE 5LE 

Just going by specs alone, I would go for the VI+. They both look very nice though. I'm a fan of little dot.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #8,121 of 20,386

Just going by specs alone, I would go for the VI+. They both look very nice though. I'm a fan of little dot.

Yea I'm getting a lot of that, I HATE the Vi+ in black [looks... cheap] but in silver :O WHOA it looks refined and elegant! But then again I'm a sucker for contrast! 

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #8,122 of 20,386

+1.
LD MARK VI+ without any doubt.
the VIII is only for high impedance.
with VI, if you buy another headphone from 32 to 300 ohm, no hay problema, caramba!

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #8,123 of 20,386
Hi everyone.. Need some more information

How big a difference is going balanced with HE-500? At the moment the DAC/AMP combo I have in mind is something from Audio GD (NFB 28 or NFB-10ES2)

Do they significantly sound better by going the balanced route?

Source will be HD Music (BD, BD concerts, BD audio upto 24/192 played off

Thanks in advance.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #8,124 of 20,386

How big a difference is going balanced with HE-500? At the moment the DAC/AMP combo I have in mind is something from Audio GD (NFB 28 or NFB-10ES2)

Thanks in advance.

With HE500 and NFB10SE balanced was audibly (significant for me) more clear and detailed, also somewhat brighter, relevant to single end.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #8,125 of 20,386

+1.
LD MARK VI+ without any doubt.
the VIII is only for high impedance.
with VI, if you buy another headphone from 32 to 300 ohm, no hay problema, caramba!

... and yea I'm SURE the VI+ can drive a 600 ohm can correct? I mean it would have to... it's a full OTL tube with balanced out 

Thanks in advance.

ACtually I'll let you know today what I hear from my own DT 880 

With HE500 and NFB10SE balanced was audibly (significant for me) more clear and detailed, also somewhat brighter, relevant to single end.

And I can second that, I had a DB1 PB1 combo, and I got to listen to my Dt 880 through it, while the DB1 is not an EPIC Dac... it was a tad bit better seperated than my oDac.

So I think balanced does improve clarity and imaging. But it being brighter... may be due to the Eccc 9018 Dac in the 10SE, still. I'll let you guys know what I think today :D 

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #8,126 of 20,386
  ... and yea I'm SURE the VI+ can drive a 600 ohm can correct? I mean it would have to... it's a full OTL tube with balanced out

really i don´t know.
when i bought the beyer T1 the MkVI was in another home
of course is an otl(balanced), i think that the problem not exists
p.s.: still i remember a great sound with my hf-2 recabled with black dragon and flat pads

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #8,127 of 20,386
  really i don´t know.
when i bought the beyer T1 the MkVI was in another home
of course is an otl(balanced), i think that the problem not exists
p.s.: still i remember a great sound with my hf-2 recabled with black dragon and flat pads

agree'd if something as crappy as an Indeed G3 can drive a 600 ohm can single end... I'm FULLY confident a BALANCED Otl tube running dual mono would to 

and it will work for my low ohm cans to <3

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #8,128 of 20,386

agree'd if something as crappy as an Indeed G3 can drive a 600 ohm can single end... I'm FULLY confident a BALANCED Otl tube running dual mono would to

and it will work for my low ohm cans to <3

i have recommended this amp a lot of people.all have thanked me
at today, i think in this amplifier.
i like my beta-22 but i think that for the cost of the ld mkVI, is impossible better.
and you choose in part the sound with tube rolling.
i know the ld mkVI and i know the he-500.
with a "modest" expenditure, you´re in the high end sound.
just my two  "very poor" cents
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #8,129 of 20,386

Thanks, so the overall experience was better, I presume...Anyone else with their experience?

What about the cables? Which is a cheap balanced cable matching the Audio GD products? I don't need fancy cables. I was looking at the Moon audio cables, but after adding the customizations, they run expensive (not in the audiophile world) :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #8,130 of 20,386

ACtually I'll let you know today what I hear from my own DT 880 

And I can second that, I had a DB1 PB1 combo, and I got to listen to my Dt 880 through it, while the DB1 is not an EPIC Dac... it was a tad bit better seperated than my oDac.

So I think balanced does improve clarity and imaging. But it being brighter... may be due to the Eccc 9018 Dac in the 10SE, still. I'll let you guys know what I think today :D 

Thanks, I will await your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back