HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #8,131 of 20,386

i have recommended this amp a lot of people.all have thanked me
at today, i think in this amplifier.
i like my beta-22 but i think that for the cost of the ld mkVI, is impossible better.
and you choose in part the sound with tube rolling.
i know the ld mkVI and i know the he-500.
with a "modest" expenditure, you´re in the high end sound.
just my two  "very poor" cents
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

yea it seems like a nice choice,  and the money I can save getting the VI+ over the MKVIII SE will ofc go into nice tubes! 

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #8,132 of 20,386
Thanks, so the overall experience was better, I presume...Anyone else with their experience?

What about the cables? Which is a cheap balanced cable matching the Audio GD products? I don't need fancy cables. I was looking at the Moon audio cables, but after adding the customizations, they run expensive (not in the audiophile world) :)

U could try toxic cables..but be prepaired to wait for a while to get them

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #8,133 of 20,386
Just get yourself the HE-6 cable from Hifiman's internet direct store if you need one faster and for not too much money. Also comes with a XLR->TRS converter. I have had my Toxic Cable on order for 4 months now, but should receive it in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to it! I decided at the last minute to upgrade from the OCC -> Silver poison cable and order an adapter with it. I'll use my old headphone cable for listening via speaker taps.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #8,134 of 20,386
  Just get yourself the HE-6 cable from Hifiman's internet direct store if you need one faster and for not too much money. Also comes with a XLR->TRS converter. I have had my Toxic Cable on order for 4 months now, but should receive it in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to it! I decided at the last minute to upgrade from the OCC -> Silver poison cable and order an adapter with it. I'll use my old headphone cable for listening via speaker taps.

The Hifiman HE6 cable is copper though isn't it? Lots of people have rust issues with Hifiman's copper cables (myself included), might not be a good idea.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #8,135 of 20,386

Or try one of the many other cable MoTs here. I like Zombie Cables and he's always got a nice price on them, 

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #8,137 of 20,386
Hi everyone.. Need some more information

How big a difference is going balanced with HE-500? At the moment the DAC/AMP combo I have in mind is something from Audio GD (NFB 28 or NFB-10ES2)

Do they significantly sound better by going the balanced route?

Source will be HD Music (BD, BD concerts, BD audio upto 24/192 played off

Thanks in advance.

IMO, if you have balanced signal all the way from your DAC then yes, driving your HPs in balanced might/will result in better SQ.  By how much?  It's hard to say.  The signal is typically stronger with balanced connection.  This often results in perceivable increase increase dynamic and details or so people say.  It might also help with signal interference a bit.  In pro audio, I only use balanced connection to avoid noise/interference issues with long connections and in recording components for the same purpose.  Given 2 HP amps, equally well designed/same quality level and no noise/interference problems, after level matching, I personally don't think that the balanced amp would beat the SE in any clear way.  It's a very subjective debate for a long time and still is.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #8,139 of 20,386
I have used double helix cable Peter is great, prices are much lower than many others, give them a try

Indeed, there are other options. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #8,140 of 20,386
Most AudioPhiles who turn Cable Builders are pretty cheap, because they are still audioPhiles and not welathy buisness men [looking at u toxic cables] as Zombie has told me, there's NO reason to charge THAT much for a cable... outside of the "brand" so yea let's support out local small buisness cable makers :D 

I dont know if i have to smile (as thinking u said that as a joke) or be offended by what u say about toxic cables..i know frank by now (bought 4cables from him until now) and trust me if i say he works far far far longer hours then ANY of us (audiophiles?) while building cables (buyers of his cables know he some days doesnt even sleep).

.if he was a wealthy rich guy he would have his cable production done in asia and have his butt rested in a spa all day long!.. If he earns good money with his company its more then deserved..u should have respect for him..who started as a hobbyist..and with lots of hard work, sweat, pain AND MONEY (he invested lots of his own money into toxic cables..that was a big risk being married and having a child! I wouldnt do it! As risk would be to big..we all should respect people who started out small and now have a goodname in any market..like frank did..or any other guy who started small and by hard work could have a flourishing business.. They have to live from it..an 'audiophile' (have to check that up on google..lolz) hobbyist does his cable making business on the side..REMEMBER?

but to be honest..did u compare his prices and products to others who built QUALITY cables (or even the premium brands?)..anyone who is handy with soldering can make cables theoretically... And lots of 'audiophiles' (i am wondering what u consider an audiophile) actually do that.and i respect that!.but most of them use INFERIOR (read cheaper) wires and sleeves, and most dont have the money to invest in R&D and so all cables are not made equally... To get ur company going to have to invest big...and most hobyist cant do that or simply decide its not worth it.

Just had to say this..as always i respect ur opinion as well...even if i dont agree with it.. :p
But on one thing i agree..those serious guys making quality cabling for a LIVING..starting up...or struggling to keep on going..we have to support them!

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #8,141 of 20,386
I dont know if i have to smile (as thinking u said that as a joke) or be offended by what u say about toxic cables..i know frank by now (bought 4cables from him until now) and trust me if i say he works far far far longer hours then ANY of us (audiophiles?) while building cables (buyers of his cables know he some days doesnt even sleep).

.if he was a wealthy rich guy he would have his cable production done in asia and have his butt rested in a spa all day long!.. If he earns good money with his company its more then deserved..u should have respect for him..who started as a hobbyist..and with lots of hard work, sweat, pain AND MONEY (he invested lots of his own money into toxic cables..that was a big risk being married and having a child! I wouldnt do it! As risk would be to big..we all should respect people who started out small and now have a goodname in any market..like frank did..or any other guy who started small and by hard work could have a flourishing business.. They have to live from it..an 'audiophile' (have to check that up on google..lolz) hobbyist does his cable making business on the side..REMEMBER?

but to be honest..did u compare his prices and products to others who built QUALITY cables (or even the premium brands?)..anyone who is handy with soldering can make cables theoretically... And lots of 'audiophiles' (i am wondering what u consider an audiophile) actually do that.and i respect that!.but most of them use INFERIOR (read cheaper) wires and sleeves, and most dont have the money to invest in R&D and so all cables are not made equally... To get ur company going to have to invest big...and most hobyist cant do that or simply decide its not worth it.

Just had to say this..as always i respect ur opinion as well...even if i dont agree with it..
tongue.gif

But on one thing i agree..those serious guys making quality cabling for a LIVING..starting up...or struggling to keep on going..we have to support them!

HEY that's great to know! I made an ass of my self ONCE again. No big deal though 

And wow... his prices have dropped! The last time i looked they where expensive as hell q.q [or maybe I'm thinking of Moon Audio... one of these cable guys is too expensive]

Non the less, I've shoved my foot in my mouth, no big deal I do it all the time!  So I should thank you for 
1) correcting me, as that statement was very mean and apprently directed at the wrong person
and 
2) getting to me view his site again [in which his prices have dropped if I remember :O

SO that said, His site is a little hard to read, with the small text and all q.q I guess I could zoom my broswer in though 
anyways so many lovely options :D 

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,142 of 20,386

The Hifiman HE6 cable is copper though isn't it? Lots of people have rust issues with Hifiman's copper cables (myself included), might not be a good idea.

mine is perfect

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #8,143 of 20,386
  ... and yea I'm SURE the VI+ can drive a 600 ohm can correct? I mean it would have to... it's a full OTL tube with balanced out

ACtually I'll let you know today what I hear from my own DT 880

And I can second that, I had a DB1 PB1 combo, and I got to listen to my Dt 880 through it, while the DB1 is not an EPIC Dac... it was a tad bit better seperated than my oDac.

So I think balanced does improve clarity and imaging. But it being brighter... may be due to the Eccc 9018 Dac in the 10SE, still. I'll let you guys know what I think today :D

The 10SE has Wolfson dac chips

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #8,144 of 20,386
HEY that's great to know! I made an ass of my self ONCE again. No big deal though 

And wow... his prices have dropped! The last time i looked they where expensive as hell q.q [or maybe I'm thinking of Moon Audio... one of these cable guys is too expensive]

Non the less, I've shoved my foot in my mouth, no big deal I do it all the time!  So I should thank you for 
1) correcting me, as that statement was very mean and apprently directed at the wrong person
and 
2) getting to me view his site again [in which his prices have dropped if I remember :O

SO that said, $170 for a Silver Cryo Un sleeved cable ain't bad still though the one thing i will say... an upcharge of 100% for a sleeve... is kinda ridiculous... TechhFlex is not that expensive, still his price for an unsleeved cable is the same as every one else [they just offer sleeving for free -.-]

anyways so many lovely options :D 

Dont sweat it my friend..we are all family here..i already knew u didnt mean it in a bad way..i just replied as i have experience that some posts can start to get its own 'life'..and in this case it wouldnt be fair.. I know what brand u mean with those high prices compared to what they deliver.. And its not toxic..lolz..Let us agree in silence here... Another thing...as far i know frank never changed his prices..and sleeving in black nylon (in my eyes still most classy sleeving existing for a headphone cable) is free as far i know..only silk sleeving costs extra (as everywhere else)...
Ps..his site is not updated... If u wanna know his prices for all his cables ( and that list is getting longer and longer)..just check out the toxic appreciation thread and ask for prices..there is a list of all his cables on that thread..ask for it..am sure the guys there will help u with that..
All the best

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #8,145 of 20,386

The 10SE has Wolfson dac chips

No sir the NFB 10SE2 has Ecc Sabre 9018s 
32bit / 192K Sabre ES9018
Straight from KingWa's site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back