HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8,086 of 20,386
Oh the HE 5xx variants, which one comes balanced stock? I want an HE 500 at some point. honestly I'd like to try the Thick variant with my SS and the Thinner with my Tube, both balanced ofc 

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #8,087 of 20,386
  hello everyone,

I'm a new very happy owner of an HE-500.

I've posted an info request on the "Introductions, Help and Recommendations" forum, but thought that this dedicated thread would be the best place to ask.

Anyone here using an Auralic Taurus MKII with the HE-500??  feedbacks?

What ampli can you recommend if:
- I like a detailed, transparent and very dynamic sound
- I like a neutral, very tonally correct reproduction
- I absolutely don't like harsh or fatiguing highs
(I've gone back till the page 450 of this incredibly long thread, and didn't find anything related, if you already discussed this in a previous page please excuse me)

many thanks
mike

i know you from an italian fórum???
biggrin.gif

un saluto
aldo

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #8,088 of 20,386
  The reason I want to swap is because I want something exciting, more powerful sounding. I just dont think the Conductor is the it amp for such genre. But enough about that. 

But don't you think it would be wiser for you to test the HE-500 on the conductor before you decide if you want to swap it or not?

People say Mjolnir isn't a good pairing for the HE-500. I beg to differ here, but to me, the Burson HA-160 drives it just as well. Considering The Conductor is more powerful than the HA-160 and apparently more energetic, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8,089 of 20,386
  But don't you think it would be wiser for you to test the HE-500 on the conductor before you decide if you want to swap it or not?

People say Mjolnir isn't a good pairing for the HE-500. I beg to differ here, but to me, the Burson HA-160 drives it just as well. Considering The Conductor is more powerful than the HA-160 and apparently more energetic, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

I've also got people recommending speaker amps over headphone amps quiete a bit on the HE 6 thread. And honestly... they say the same for the HE 500, atlhough I'm sure the balanced NFB 10ES2 will do an excellent job. Non the less... I'm just thinking I'm going to enjoy trying the HE 5XX variants on my Audio GD :D 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #8,090 of 20,386
I should have specified why I was thinking about the HE-500. The reason is that I want more punch/impact/power, but I dont want to sacrifice too much other qualities to get that.
So I read some reviews that the HE-500 have more impact then LCD-2, which I currently own, and they are also suppose to be more fun.
Unfortunaly, I dont have the option to try them out. Else I would obviously have done that instead of making these posts. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #8,091 of 20,386
  I should have specified why I was thinking about the HE-500. The reason is that I want more punch/impact/power, but I dont want to sacrifice too much other qualities to get that.
So I read some reviews that the HE-500 have more impact then LCD-2, which I currently own, and they are also suppose to be more fun.
Unfortunaly, I dont have the option to try them out. Else I would obviously have done that instead of making these posts. 

Definitely true. Especially true on speaker amps (Marantz and Emotiva). LCD-2 has more more mid-bass slam. Where the LCD-2 slams bass, HE-500 instead pushes bass air out of the drivers. More visceral and holistic feel on the HE-500.

Both are excellent but require time to fully enjoy both due to their polarizing presentations.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #8,093 of 20,386
FWIW, the Audioquest Dragonfly and Emotiva Mini-X personifies fun with the HE-500 so far. That tiny DAC kicks out quite a bit of bass and coupled with the lively signature of the Mini-X is quite a fun combination. I had an enjoyable time listening to Random Access Memories today and so far I don't miss my Nuwave DAC at all. That DAC is quite the anti-thesis of fun even though it has quite lightning fast timing and drive!

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #8,094 of 20,386
  FWIW, the Audioquest Dragonfly and Emotiva Mini-X personifies fun with the HE-500 so far. That tiny DAC kicks out quite a bit of bass and coupled with the lively signature of the Mini-X is quite a fun combination. I had an enjoyable time listening to Random Access Memories today and so far I don't miss my Nuwave DAC at all. That DAC is quite the anti-thesis of fun even though it has quite lightning fast timing and drive!

Glad to hear you're diggin' it!

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #8,095 of 20,386
What ampli can you recommend if:
- I like a detailed, transparent and very dynamic sound
- I like a neutral, very tonally correct reproduction
- I absolutely don't like harsh or fatiguing highs

V200, a little on the warm side but meets the other requirements. 
Soloist, SPL auditor, Apex Arete/Peak + Volcano ... 

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #8,096 of 20,386

Definitely true. Especially true on speaker amps (Marantz and Emotiva). LCD-2 has more more mid-bass slam. Where the LCD-2 slams bass, HE-500 instead pushes bass air out of the drivers. More visceral and holistic feel on the HE-500.

Both are excellent but require time to fully enjoy both due to their polarizing presentations.

+1

i miss that LCD-2 slam, though the LCD-3 comes close but its more polite.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #8,097 of 20,386

+1

i miss that LCD-2 slam, though the LCD-3 comes close but its more polite.

Yea I still miss that kick. Although I've come to an understanding with what I want out of the LSD-3. It can do pure sub bass dubstep nicely. Trance, not the best option. Bass on jazz pieces is really, really good. Very well suited. Might throw some classical at it tonight to see it how pairs with that. I've been listening and enjoying the change for a few days now (somehow the HD800 has again managed to come back into that list) 
biggrin.gif

With jazz recordings, the vocals seem really neutral/forward. Although with electronic music, at times it feels a bit too laid back. The LCD-2 was a bit smoother overall, especially for vocal trance. The vocals never ever felt recessed, but it's a tradeoff between liveliness I guess.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8,099 of 20,386
  Have there been multiple revisions of the HE500 like there is of the HE400?  I've only ever heard of a single version HE500 but wanted to confirm seeing as I'm looking at purchasing a used pair.

Thanks

It's been only 1 revision for HE500 I think. Although there has been a cosmetic change at some point (older HE500s had a different, more "matte" paintjob than the newer HE500s which are very glossy).

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8,100 of 20,386

Yea I still miss that kick. Although I've come to an understanding with what I want out of the LSD-3. It can do pure sub bass dubstep nicely. Trance, not the best option. Bass on jazz pieces is really, really good. Very well suited. Might throw some classical at it tonight to see it how pairs with that. I've been listening and enjoying the change for a few days now (somehow the HD800 has again managed to come back into that list) 
biggrin.gif

With jazz recordings, the vocals seem really neutral/forward. Although with electronic music, at times it feels a bit too laid back. The LCD-2 was a bit smoother overall, especially for vocal trance. The vocals never ever felt recessed, but it's a tradeoff between liveliness I guess.

he-500/ he-6 still best for electronic imo

btw have u placed order for gsx mk2 yet?

the LSD-3 literally became a DMT-4 with it 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back