HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #7,756 of 20,374
Grado's and Hifiman's are complete opposites when it comes to weight, except for the Grado's with metal ear cup designs. I remember the PS1000 being quite heavy as well. If the idea of wearing a heavier phone than your current Grado SR80i would put you off then I would steer you in the direction of Sennheiser or Beyer Dynamic. If you are fan of the Grado sound, then something like the Grado RS1i  would also be a nice choice. Those wooden earcups are quite lightweight.

I had the Grado RS1i as my main headphones for about a year and they are probably more than twice as light as the HE-500s. When I got the HE-500 my neck muscles were quite sore for the first two weeks or so and then I became used to it. The headphone padding and ample space in the ear cups made my ears feel more at home compared to the Grado's on ear design. That said I have had lots of people trying my HE-500 headphones who were immediately put off by their weight, so it is definitely a very important consideration when picking these.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #7,757 of 20,374
In
Grado's and Hifiman's are complete opposites when it comes to weight, except for the Grado's with metal ear cup designs. I remember the PS1000 being quite heavy as well. If the idea of wearing a heavier phone than your current Grado SR80i would put you off then I would steer you in the direction of Sennheiser or Beyer Dynamic. If you are fan of the Grado sound, then something like the Grado RS1i  would also be a nice choice. Those wooden earcups are quite lightweight.

I had the Grado RS1i as my main headphones for about a year and they are probably more than twice as light as the HE-500s. When I got the HE-500 my neck muscles were quite sore for the first two weeks or so and then I became used to it. The headphone padding and ample space in the ear cups made my ears feel more at home compared to the Grado's on ear design. That said I have had lots of people trying my HE-500 headphones who were immediately put off by their weight, so it is definitely a very important consideration when picking these.

In regards to shipping from the USA to the UK, which box will be more protective of the headphones, the presentation box or the travel case?

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7,759 of 20,374
just upgraded!!! initial impressions, omg like HE-500s but better!!! the bass isn't wooly, its godly!!!@#@!## more to come, still have to compare and give more time... just got them 15 mins ago lol

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7,761 of 20,374
  just upgraded!!! initial impressions, omg like HE-500s but better!!! the bass isn't wooly, its godly!!!@#@!## more to come, still have to compare and give more time... just got them 15 mins ago lol

CONGRATS!!!
gs1000.gif

Can't wait for all the details. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,762 of 20,374
what cable is that coming through the HE-500 ? is that a balance 3/4 pin copper ?

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #7,763 of 20,374

Hey girl!
I see ur upgrading ur rig again :D looks good! Next year i jump on the he6 wagon also..or he7 if that one comes out :wink:
And i see ur going towards the SS camp... :p

:pThe gs-x mk2 only does 2watts in balanced mode..how does it drive ur new he6? Does it give u the feeling the he6 gets enough juice from the gs-x?

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #7,764 of 20,374
Hey girl!
I see ur upgrading ur rig again
biggrin.gif
looks good! Next year i jump on the he6 wagon also..or he7 if that one comes out
wink.gif

And i see ur going towards the SS camp...
tongue.gif

:pThe gs-x mk2 only does 2watts in balanced mode..how does it drive ur new he6? Does it give u the feeling the he6 gets enough juice from the gs-x?

i thought GSX MK2 is 8 watts in balanced (im pretty sure the 2 watts is for the original GSX), it seems to drive it perfectly with no issues. i have no complaints here.
what cable is that coming through the HE-500 ? is that a balance 3/4 pin copper ?

thats HE-6 with stock cable in pic.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #7,765 of 20,374
Hi everyone, do you guys know a mod for the HE500 with the J$ Beyer Pads? I see that there is no shield protecting the drivers and I don't want to damage them or get dust and debris inside it, please help? Like a simple mod to cover the drivers? 

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #7,766 of 20,374
Hi everyone, do you guys know a mod for the HE500 with the J$ Beyer Pads? I see that there is no shield protecting the drivers and I don't want to damage them or get dust and debris inside it, please help? Like a simple mod to cover the drivers? 

When I had the J$ pads, I cut out pantyhose material and affixed it with glue on the side of the pads in contact with the headphone rings.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #7,767 of 20,374
I bought the HE-500's and upgraded to Audeze LCD2-2's.  I had the Audeze less than 2 months, sold them, and upgraded again to the HE-500's.  For me, both the HE-500's and the Audeze both suffer from a lack of long term comfort - one or two albums and I'm through.

I should add that my main headphone is the Sennheiser HD800's so the HiFiMan / Audeze thing is really a 'change of scenery' for me.

Buy the HE-500's and you have a superb headphone; the best value for money of its type. If the comfort thing is okay for oyu, you can't go wrong.

Bob

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #7,768 of 20,374
  I bought the HE-500's and upgraded to Audeze LCD2-2's.  I had the Audeze less than 2 months, sold them, and upgraded again to the HE-500's.  For me, both the HE-500's and the Audeze both suffer from a lack of long term comfort - one or two albums and I'm through.

I should add that my main headphone is the Sennheiser HD800's so the HiFiMan / Audeze thing is really a 'change of scenery' for me.

Buy the HE-500's and you have a superb headphone; the best value for money of its type. If the comfort thing is okay for oyu, you can't go wrong.

Bob

I love my HE500, the comfort is excellent with any pads besides the stock velour pads, can't stand those. I wear my HE500 for over 10 hours at a time almost everyday and I have little to no discomfort besides when I wear my gunnars, then it'll hurt the top of my ears after an hour or so.
When I had the J$ pads, I cut out pantyhose material and affixed it with glue on the side of the pads in contact with the headphone rings.

I suck at DIY... I know thats an easy mod but I know I will stuff up on the glue haha. Is there any way I can get the material from my stock HE500 pads and use them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back