HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 14, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #7,771 of 20,374
I suck at DIY... I know thats an easy mod but I know I will stuff up on the glue haha. Is there any way I can get the material from my stock HE500 pads and use them? 

You would still have to cut out from the stock pads and fix them on the J$. I chose not to do that because I had more material to work with (with the hose) and hence more room for error.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #7,772 of 20,374
You would still have to cut out from the stock pads and fix them on the J$. I chose not to do that because I had more material to work with (with the hose) and hence more room for error.

You don't need to glue anything. Just push the retention ring into the hose, slip the j$ on and trim off the excess hose. The tightness of he j$ to the retention ring holds the hose in place.

I did this about 12 months ago and it's still going strong.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #7,773 of 20,374
i thought GSX MK2 is 8 watts in balanced (im pretty sure the 2 watts is for the original GSX), it seems to drive it perfectly with no issues. i have no

Then on their site they didnt updated the specs yet... As there they still mention 2watts in balanced...

Check this out:

http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/HeadAmp-GSX-Balanced-Headphone-Amplifier-and-Pre-Amplifier

But i know myself pure raw watts doesnt mean driving a headphone correctly...
Am glad u found a headphone amp who does..as there are not many who can drive a he6 to its limits.
So this means a he6 doesnt need 5-8 watts as minimum then..good to know!

Have fun with it!

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #7,774 of 20,374
You don't need to glue anything. Just push the retention ring into the hose, slip the j$ on and trim off the excess hose. The tightness of he j$ to the retention ring holds the hose in place.

I did this about 12 months ago and it's still going strong.

Huh? So I just put the pantyhose around the retention ring and apply the J$ pads and cut off the excessive pantyhose? I don't quite understand lol. I will try it though, thanks.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #7,776 of 20,374
Then on their site they didnt updated the specs yet... As there they still mention 2watts in balanced...

Check this out:

http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/HeadAmp-GSX-Balanced-Headphone-Amplifier-and-Pre-Amplifier

But i know myself pure raw watts doesnt mean driving a headphone correctly...
Am glad u found a headphone amp who does..as there are not many who can drive a he6 to its limits.
So this means a he6 doesnt need 5-8 watts as minimum then..good to know!

Have fun with it!

its been mentioned on here.

unfortunately the site is horribly outdated, the GSX mk2 has been out for a while but it still shows the first one on the specs page, not the mk2.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #7,778 of 20,374
The GSX is as good as it gets. If it can't drive the HE-6 to its full potential, then nothing can.

Justin makes some damn good amps.

U sound like me..lolz :D

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #7,780 of 20,374
Do these perform better than the Schiit Lyr with good tubes?

Well..a hint..some keywords used by the ones who know:
Top built, end game material, if this amp cant drive it no other can, price 2800usd? drives the he6 perfectly and some other keywords (i think dubstep girl even used some unknown symbols stating how good it sounds..dont ask me to repeat them..lolz) :D
The lyr doesnt even come close..anyone using those keywords for it..maybe only the first keyword..top built.
The lyr is a good amp for the money....no question bout it...but with good tubes it wouldnt even come close to the gs-x as for one..i know the lyr cant and will never be able to drive a he6 well..ever...

The gs-x is a amp i deeply believe is also a better amp then my evil 337 (and u guys know that means a lot to me saying that!)... as that particular amp went head to head to headphone amps sometimes costing more then double its asking price (but he couldnt drive a he6 to its limits also).

..i am now really curious how he will stack up to my new custommade blue circle amp i will be getting in two months time...both higher end headphone amp wise....both are balanced and both capable driving a he6 and both in dual enclosures..and both pushing out 5-8 watts into 50ohm (i suppose the gs-x into same ohm also)...i also now know my amp will be about 20lbs, maybe a bit more....so not to heavy also...

Hope to find someone in this part of europe to compare it one day..pity u live so far away dubstepgirl...would love to compare ur gs-x with my BC amp on ur he6 ( hope to buy mine in june 2014..am still holding off as i hope hifiman comes with the new improved version by then..)

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #7,781 of 20,374
Well..a hint..some keywords used by the ones who know:
Top built, end game material, if this amp cant drive it no other can, price 2800usd? drives the he6 perfectly and some other keywords (i think dubstep girl even used some unknown symbols stating how good it sounds..dont ask me to repeat them..lolz)
biggrin.gif

The lyr doesnt even come close..anyone using those keywords for it..maybe only the first keyword..top built.
The lyr is a good amp for the money....no question bout it...but with good tubes it wouldnt even come close to the gs-x as for one..i know the lyr cant and will never be able to drive a he6 well..ever...

The gs-x is a amp i deeply believe is also a better amp then my evil 337 (and u guys know that means a lot to me saying that!)... as that particular amp went head to head to headphone amps sometimes costing more then double its asking price (but he couldnt drive a he6 to its limits also).

..i am now really curious how he will stack up to my new custommade blue circle amp i will be getting in two months time...both higher end headphone amp wise....both are balanced and both capable driving a he6 and both in dual enclosures..and both pushing out 5-8 watts into 50ohm (i suppose the gs-x into same ohm also)...i also now know my amp will be about 20lbs, maybe a bit more....so not to heavy also...

Hope to find someone in this part of europe to compare it one day..pity u live so far away dubstepgirl...would love to compare ur gs-x with my BC amp on ur he6 ( hope to buy mine in june 2014..am still holding off as i hope hifiman comes with the new improved version by then..)

Wow, I need to look into this, how much does the GSX cost? Does it work well with a Bifrost Uber? It can run headphones with a 1/4 jack right? I don't understand balanced headphones at all lol. This might be my next amp... 

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #7,782 of 20,374
Wow, I need to look into this, how much does the GSX cost? Does it work well with a Bifrost Uber? It can run headphones with a 1/4 jack right? I don't understand balanced headphones at all lol. This might be my next amp... 

For that price, you have so many options. Don't just listen to ppl. Especially, ppl who really haven't heard the amp. I have. IMO, good amp but there are others that u can pick from. Amps in that price range are harder to resell unless u r willing to take on some significant loss so decide carefully unless money is not a problem for u. :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #7,783 of 20,374
For that price, you have so many options. Don't just listen to ppl. Especially, ppl who really haven't heard the amp. I have. IMO, good amp but there are others that u can pick from. Amps in that price range are harder to resell unless u r willing to take on some significant loss so decide carefully unless money is not a problem for u.
smily_headphones1.gif

umm trust me when i say this, the gs-x mk2 is absolutely NOT hard to resell. there have only been a couple up for sale and every time there is line of buyers instantly. they also resell for the same price new with no money lost. of course not all amps at the gs-x mk2's price range are like that.

also @highroller: the gs-x mk2 is about $3000 if you want the maxed out version, $2800 for cheaper version. i would not hook a bifrost up to it though. for that amount of money you are better off with a better dac + less expensive but still excellent amp

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7,784 of 20,374
For that price, you have so many options. Don't just listen to ppl. Especially, ppl who really haven't heard the amp. I have. IMO, good amp but there are others that u can pick from. Amps in that price range are harder to resell unless u r willing to take on some significant loss so decide carefully unless money is not a problem for u.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well what is the price? And what are the other suggestions? I would imagine losing a lot of money here on head-fi because I am located on the other side of the world and most people wont pay the shipping so I must. This is going to suck if I just want to try out new equipment but cant resell them...

EDIT: Do electrostatic amps only work with electrostatic headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back